Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 6:48 am

Wow, really enjoyable music to listen to...interesting i might never have discovered her if it wasn't for Black Mirror, one of the episodes featured a song of hers....and it was a really good song so I had to look it up. And yeah I like a lot of the other songs I found after looking up that one as well. Maybe a bit before my time but Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands and they were before my time to.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2018, 10:51 am

Never heard of her, but since I know you're into the Growlers, I trust your judgement, and will definitely look her up. Thanks for the tip!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 11:07 am

Are you talking about the Sixties lady who was married to fellow soul/R+B singer Rufus Thomas?

If so then I agree. I like the old Memphis Soul scene. Motown had the gloss, but Memphis had the grit. I like a little of both in my soul diet. :D

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 11:09 am

"Qu'est-ce que c'est" Sweetie Leafie? :D

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 9:48 pm

My bad. :oops:

I had Irma Thomas confused with Carla Thomas.

Carla Thomas was the daughter (not wife) :oops: of Rufus Thomas.

Rufus was Fifties R+B singer on the same Sun Label as Elvis. His daughter Carla was born in Memphis and recorded in the Sixties on the famous Memphis Stax label.

The apparently unrelated Irma Thomas is a New Orleans native, and was known as the "Queen of New Orleans R+B". Both her and Carla recorded in the Sixties at roughly the same time. Irma is still at it.

Both are Black women soul singers. I like both. Irma has a nicer smoother singing style.

Irma is the one used in the Black Mirror TV series.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
My bad. :oops:

I had Irma Thomas confused with Carla Thomas.

Carla Thomas was the daughter (not wife) :oops: of Rufus Thomas.

Rufus was Fifties R+B singer on the same Sun Label as Elvis. His daughter Carla was born in Memphis and recorded in the Sixties on the famous Memphis Stax label.

The apparently unrelated Irma Thomas is a New Orleans native, and was known as the "Queen of New Orleans R+B". Both her and Carla recorded in the Sixties at roughly the same time. Irma is still at it.

Both are Black women soul singers. I like both. Irma has a nicer smoother singing style.

Irma is the one used in the Black Mirror TV series.

Well that is ok...I never even heard of her till I heard the song on the show Black Mirror. But wow, her vocals sound so good IDK how I never heard of her before.