Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 9:15 am

I have just emailed my local high schools offering to deliver awareness training about autism and Aspergers to the students. Anyone else offered awareness training to anyone?

I had a terrible school time and adults discriminate against me. Change has to come. I don't feel like an expert but someone has to do it.

EmFromOuterSpace
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2018, 9:36 am

I'd be really interested in getting into things like this. Basically everyone knows that autism exists, but they don't usually actually know about it, and they aren't very considerate of people who are or could be autistic. I mean, I didn't even realize I was autistic until recently because of all the misconceptions about it.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:26 pm

EmFromOuterSpace wrote:
I'd be really interested in getting into things like this. Basically everyone knows that autism exists, but they don't usually actually know about it, and they aren't very considerate of people who are or could be autistic. I mean, I didn't even realize I was autistic until recently because of all the misconceptions about it.

Yeah, exactly. People know autism exists but they don't see the human side of us. It's like how years ago people knew gay people existed but they were not accepted by most people. And neither are we. That is what has to change. We have to educate NTs, make everything open and get talking about it.