Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2018, 1:21 pm

We are living in an era where old tv shows are being rebooted and movies are getting sequels or remade. Over the last 5 or 6 years new tv shows on the major networks such as NBC, ABC, CBS, and Fox have been getting cancelled after one or two seasons. Tv shows on streaming services such as Hulu and Netflix have become very popular. It seems like the dynamic of television is changing. So many shows that have been out of production for years are getting rebooted with the same actors and crew members. In a way I think it is great that old tv shows are making comebacks with the original cast and crew members. On the other hand this is telling me that Hollywood is struggling to come up with new original content. We have seen a number of new shows get cancelled. We have seen a rise in online streaming. What do any of you think about these reboots and the way people watch television these days?

garysoneji
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Feb 2018, 1:34 pm

They aren't running out of ideas as much as people aren't very accepting to new ideas. A lot of good things flop theatrically or get canceled early because people like what is familiar. They also love simplicity. Look at all of the reality shows. It seems the majority of people like to sit back, relax, and turn their brain off instead of having to put too much thought into what they are watching.

I love reboots and sequels. It's always nice to step back into a world you enjoyed as well as see fresh or updated interpretations of an older film or TV show. Sure, it doesn't always work out, but that's usually the business side interfering with the creative.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:40 pm

I don't think that problem is a lack of ideas, but a lack of guts. They want to bank on a sure thing and if something has been successful previously they ride on the back of that success to make more money rather than take a gamble on something new.

Now Robert Redford is someone I have a lot of respect for. One of the reasons he started up the Sundance Film Festival was to encourage new ideas, new talent and creativity. If you want new and interesting things, don't look to the big names, look into the indie scene.