Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

asdmayb26
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2018, 2:44 pm

Does anybody feel like they are a neurotypical trapped in an aspie body? Any sense of self problems?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:54 pm

asdmayb26 wrote:
Does anybody feel like they are a neurotypical trapped in an aspie body? Any sense of self problems?

The opposite I guess although I am not sure what an aspie body is.

After I was diagnosed at age 55 I realized I had I had lived my life not knowing key things about myself. I was confused about what part of me was my personality and what part of me was ASD. what skills were learned, an add on so to speak, and what skills were me faking myself. It took awhile but I came to the conclusion that my personality and my ASD are so tightly fused that it is fruitless to to try and separate them, it is just me.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

asdmayb26
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2018, 3:03 pm

Can you tell me a little bit about the process of your diagnosis and why you decided to get evaluated?

asdmayb26
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2018, 3:11 pm

I feel like I don't come across the way I want to come across and it's because of my aspergers. I'm now avoiding any opportunity to be in a social situation because of this. I hate having aspergers. It makes me miserable because I cannot be the person I want to be

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 3:43 pm

I feel somewhat like a cave man transported to civilization, except that the tech is not baffling.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 4:10 pm

asdmayb26 wrote:
Does anybody feel like they are a neurotypical trapped in an aspie body?
Yeah, kind of.

asdmayb26 wrote:
Any sense of self problems?
Definitely. I keep feeling like I'm not good enough, like I should be as talented as my cousins or people at work, etc. Maybe I'd be like them if only I tried harder. It all seems to be my fault.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 4:19 pm

I feel as though I was transported from the 40s to the present time. It's very strange.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 4:21 pm

I always thought you were transported here from the 60s. You like 60s music and 60s TV shows.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 7:57 pm

asdmayb26 wrote:
Can you tell me a little bit about the process of your diagnosis and why you decided to get evaluated?

It was an intervention. My sister is a speech patholgist who works with Autistic children and recognized the traits in her older brother. She found a clinicion with 30 years experience including assessing adults.

The assessment involved what I know now to be Adult Aspergers Assesment, The Social Responsiveness Scale Test and a test for executive function. I took the tests gradually at home. She did a structured interview with my sister. I went into the her office she asked a bunch of questions and said “I have no problem diagnosing you with Aspergers”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 12:58 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I always thought you were transported here from the 60s. You like 60s music and 60s TV shows.

Part of me was transported from the 60s and part of me was transported from the 40s. I guess the 60s would be my good side and the 40s would be my dark side.

I could also be 1965, the year that Hogan's Heroes debut on CBC and The Kinks were the most popular. Maybe I'm the Spirit of Sgt. Schultz.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 2:38 am

not really. i feel like im constantly translating. im always translating words to pictures, figurative speech, facial expression, and then im always trying to translate my feelings into words and concepts i can understand. i feel like things are always happening in my head i can never put into words.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2018, 7:29 am

I feel like I have characteristics of AS, NT and ADD. One of ADD or ADHD traits is unrealistic dreams. That's me. I thought life would be perfect, I would be a popular girl, my teen years would consist of throwing constant parties, I would be the smartest student, and as I become an adult, a mansion on Socotra would be waiting for me right there.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 11:20 am

My sense of self seperating from my 'bodily experiences' regardless of my 'mastery' or 'diffculties' is neither NT or ND. Not even 'female' or 'native'. All I know it's 'human' and that's what I concluded so far.
Uncommon in some ways from whatever I was born and grew up with, but still human nonetheless. :|

Honestly, I think I have a really screwed sense of self that is neither weak that is submissive/passive nor strong like assertive/agressive itself, but not very attached with whatever happened or actions did -- no matter the gaps between my could's and would's -- yet do acknowledge that it is and what it was done.

That I had little opinion or regard about myself, that whenever someone asks about me, all I could say is what I could mostly tell is what I did/think/felt, what I would, and what I could -- ASD related or not, mind-body gaps or not, language medium frustrations or not.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:37 pm

The question is totally nonsensical even on a metaphoric fantasy level because both aspergers, and non-aspergers, are mental to begin with. So it cant be imagined that way since its a brain type vs a brain type. Not brain type vs a body type.

I can imagine being "one gender in another genders body", or "one aged person in another aged persons body", or even being "a cat in a human body". But neither aspies nor NTs have distinctive "bodies" to begin with.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 4:24 pm

If somebody can show me all these NTs fixing all their interpersonal problems and living in peace and harmony, I might start to feel like that. Meanwhile I just see the mainstream as a different culture to mine.

I don't know of any abnormal sense-of-self problems.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 7:50 pm

smudgedhorizon wrote:
I feel like I have characteristics of AS, NT and ADD. One of ADD or ADHD traits is unrealistic dreams.

That and comparing ourselves to other people.

When I meet people who got perfect grades and spent their tween years throwing constant parties and now they have the perfect job I get so mad at myself for not being like them. One day I'm going to meet someone who owns a big holiday home on Socotra and I'll be mad at myself for not being smart enough to make as much money as he has.