Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 5:19 pm

Let's say someone wonders if they are autistic, or have social anxiety or ADD or are gay or asexual, etc. but they do not fear those things, they keep wondering and want answers so they obsess over it and keep reading about it and can't stop thinking about it. But they do not have anxiety over it and are not fearing if they are or not. What would this be called? OCPD? I would call this OCD but because there is no distress behind it and fear, OCD wouldn't fit even though there is the obsession and compulsions but no anxiety and fear. Also they enjoy reading this stuff to learn more but they still are not sure if they are or not but they can't stop wondering if they are or not and they want answers.

Also if someone is concerned about being gay and they are afraid if they are and it was because of the homophobia and the stigma about it so they are worried about what could happen to them if they were gay and people found out, would it be OCD or just anxiety?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 2:11 am

RE: your first paragraph, perhaps it would be characterized as a 'special interest' / 'obsession' (unrelated to OCD), if I understand, correctly.

RE: your second paragraph, I think it would depend on the person's ability/inability to control their thoughts and any subsequent symptoms/behaviors. Without that information, I would, perhaps, classify it as anxiety.

...just my opinion, and couldn't say for certain (despite the fact that I have ocd and two, additional anxiety d's)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 5:58 am

I didn't want to be first to answer as I don't have a Dx of OCD but I agree with Britte , this sounds like anxiety and obsessive thoughts.
Obsessive thoughts are present in a variety of anxiety disorders not just OCD.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard