People with mental illness “are not right in the mind/head”

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 1:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
A dissenting opinion here.

Saying "folks who are mentally ill are not right in the head" is the same thing as saying "folks who are mentally are mentally ill".

Not only is it not derogatory it's a silly self-evident tautology. A tautology is something like saying "bachelors tend to be single". you're just describing something by part of its definition.

Instead of being offended you shoulda just laughed at the person for saying it. Like folks still laugh at Yogi Berra for saying "anyone who would go to psychiatrist should have their head examined!".

One time I was going to work and this handicapped guy sitting next to me starts talking to me about his cat so i am petting it and start talking to him. Meanwhile this lady standing at the front of the bus is talking to the driver and all of a sudden she is accusing me of being rude saying she was talking to the cat guy and I start talking to him. I apologize and explain he started talking to me and I didn't know she had been talking to him and I thought she was talking to the driver. but instead she starts scolding me and pointing her finger at me and I could tell right away she was mentally disbaled and had a low IQ because I could hear it in her voice. of course I was tempted to call her the R word because she was offending me by accusing me of something I didn't even do but that is like calling the black person the N word when they wrong you.

The lady sitting behind me who was also with them says to me calmly 'I will be praying for you." Right away i tell her that accuser isn't right in the head and the pray lady laughs and pats me on the shoulder.

Damn right I called her that because she wronged me and I just didn't care how insulting it sounded. I do not like to be falsely accused of things.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 1:20 pm

I would tend to agree with the above.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2018, 6:38 am

I really don't like some people with mental illnesses, since I've had a bad experience with them in the past.
Now I keep my distance, and are very cautious about how much I trust them. Not that I trust anyone really.

Regular 'normal' NT's are some of the least 'right in the head' people I've ever encountered!

Sorrend
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2018, 9:39 pm

This is just a personal little story.

My mom said to me once, after a few years out of a depressive state, that I was "back to my real self."

It was weird to hear that. It made me feel like I was on a vacation for three years or something!