Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 6:25 pm

People in this society shouldn't have to face hunger, but literally this time I think me and my husband might be starving before we get our food stamps again. First of all, we have thus problem because of greedy people. You have to report rent you are paying to DHS to get more food stamps, but your landlord or whoever you rent from has to fill out a form tied to their SS number so basically we've encountered problems with relatives we've lived with not wanting to fill out the form because it would affect their benefits they are getting themselves... Basically any rent collected from us is counted as income to them and it is in their interest not to have this income reported if they are using low income to get their own stuff. Because of this, DHS records me and my husband as paying no rent so they are giving us few food stamps. Even with help of a food bank not only are we doing very poorly, but a diabetic like my husband shouldn't be eating ramen noodles and most of the stuff they give out at the food bank... I literally don't know what to do because I don't have the cash to buy the appropriate food.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 8:57 pm

Thats terrible. Do you have any friends or family that could donate food to you ? Could you perhaps grow your own food? Im sorry you are going through this.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 8:11 am

Are there any food banks in your area? I'd imagine there would be a ton. You'd be surprised how much you can get from those places. Usually if you go to like 2 of them, you'd be able to get enough food for at least a couple of weeks.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 3:14 pm

Soup kitchen

Some social events offer complimentary meals

Trader Joe's, and tonics, Albertsons, Costco, other grocery stores offer free samples sometimes

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 3:43 pm

^^ Excellent suggestions, especially the food banks.

I think your relatives need to pony up a bit of $ for your food, or stop charging you rent entirely, since they're committing fraud on their own applications by concealing that income. (That business about the fraud is not something you would point out; you just point out that their refusal to help you is making it impossible for you to get assistance, so they need to step up and make up for it. If they're at all snotty about this, you will have to find somewhere else to live, the sooner the better. There should be community bulletin boards at the food banks, and people there may be able to point you to other resources...)

Sorry you're going through this.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:46 am

Another suggestion that may be an option to you is going to a local Sikh Temple for a meal here and there if you have any. All of the ones here, afaik, have cafeterias where they serve anyone & everyone who comes in for a meal. It's all vegetarian and some of it fairly spicy, but it's free for those in need. Food is paid for by donations & prepared by volunteers for worshippers or anyone in the community to eat. Wealthier members of the temple are typically called upon once in their life to pay the food bill for a weekend or something like that. Anyways, we have a large Sikh community here so there are many of their temples around and I've been to a few with friends. Even if you're not of Indian descent, don't speak Punjabi or Hindi, aren't a member of the Sikh faith etc.. all are welcome to share a meal at their Temples. It's just one of the things they do for their communities as a religion. If there are any in your area, swing by sometime and see if they happen to have an open cafeteria serving up food & tea.