Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 8:58 pm

Does Advil work better with food?

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 11:27 pm

I'm not sure about working better, but it feels better if you have at least a little food in your stomach.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Feb 2018, 1:06 am

Redxk wrote:
I'm not sure about working better, but it feels better if you have at least a little food in your stomach.
It's hard on my stomach with food & is worse if I don't have food so it's supposed to be taken with food. I prefer Aleve cuz it's not hard on my stomach but my girlfriend says she finds Advil works better.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 12:43 pm

I don't take Advil, but maybe on an empty stomach it gets absorbed into your bloodstream faster, like alcohol. But it's probably a good idea to eat some food, even if it's just a couple of soda crackers or some milk.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Feb 2018, 7:17 pm

I forgot to mention that my girlfriend has some stomach issues & was told that NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs) like Advil can cause stomach problems or make em worse & taking em with a bit of food can reduce the issues alittle bit but they can still cause issues like how Advil affects me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 26 Feb 2018, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 7:32 pm

Kitty, please take it with food. It can cause ulcers if taken on an empty stomach - please make sure you eat something (a bowl of oatmeal, a breakfast sandwich, something like that - not just a cup of coffee or tea) before you take the Advil, and then take it with milk if you like milk. If you need to take it with coffee or tea (on top of food) please put milk in the coffee or tea. Please don't take it with anything acidic, like orange juice or lemonade or cola.

Ibuprofen (Advil) is an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) and NSAIDs are known to cause ulcers. Here's a link to helpful info from the UK's National Health Service:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stomach-ulcer/causes/

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!