My procrastinating keeps getting worse.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2018, 9:18 pm

Despite only having three days of school, last week was very bad for me. I kept putting off my work until late at night, which caused me to be tired the day after. On Thursday, before a four-day-weekend, I got my usual assignments; nothing very difficult. Yet I somehow managed to not do any of it at all; I'll be staying up late tonight working on it.

This isn't the first time this has happened; it's been going on all year. But no matter how many times it happens, I never seem to learn my lesson. It's gotten to the point where I think cynical thoughts about myself, knowing that I don't have the mental strength to break the cycle. You'd think that I'd stop trusting myself then, but I always end up setting expectations too high for myself anyway.

This didn't start until this year; I think part of the reason is because last year I had two hours to do homework at school everyday, whereas now I only have one, and my internal logic refuses to adjust. But I've also read that procrastinating can be the result of stress, and I've been feeling very pressured by the upcoming transition to college. But if that's the case, I'm not certain how I can solve the problem.

Sometimes I cry to myself, hating myself for letting this happen again and again. But that only makes it worse, since it uses my time along with everything else. People often say that you should put away your devices while you're working, but I do almost all my work ON my device; it's been that way for years. Things like YouTube, Polygon, and even this site are always only a few clicks away.

I remember seeing a diagram online: it showed a stick-figure standing on the left side of a gap, with the right side labeled "Happy, Fulfilling Life" or something like that. At the bottom of the gap was a round pit labeled "Procrastination". I know I shouldn't take everything I see on the internet to heart, but seeing that diagram really scared me. Though apparently it didn't scare me enough to get me to put some effort into my own life for once.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 8:44 am

coalminer wrote:
Despite only having three days of school, last week was very bad for me. I kept putting off my work until late at night, which caused me to be tired the day after. On Thursday, before a four-day-weekend, I got my usual assignments; nothing very difficult. Yet I somehow managed to not do any of it at all; I'll be staying up late tonight working on it.

This isn't the first time this has happened; it's been going on all year. But no matter how many times it happens, I never seem to learn my lesson. It's gotten to the point where I think cynical thoughts about myself, knowing that I don't have the mental strength to break the cycle. You'd think that I'd stop trusting myself then, but I always end up setting expectations too high for myself anyway.

This didn't start until this year; I think part of the reason is because last year I had two hours to do homework at school everyday, whereas now I only have one, and my internal logic refuses to adjust. But I've also read that procrastinating can be the result of stress, and I've been feeling very pressured by the upcoming transition to college. But if that's the case, I'm not certain how I can solve the problem.

Sometimes I cry to myself, hating myself for letting this happen again and again. But that only makes it worse, since it uses my time along with everything else. People often say that you should put away your devices while you're working, but I do almost all my work ON my device; it's been that way for years. Things like YouTube, Polygon, and even this site are always only a few clicks away.

I remember seeing a diagram online: it showed a stick-figure standing on the left side of a gap, with the right side labeled "Happy, Fulfilling Life" or something like that. At the bottom of the gap was a round pit labeled "Procrastination". I know I shouldn't take everything I see on the internet to heart, but seeing that diagram really scared me. Though apparently it didn't scare me enough to get me to put some effort into my own life for once.

Using SMART targets might help you or a planner.
I went to learning support at college and they helped me with this.
We had a drop in service as well as one to one session with a teacher.

Do you have any services like this at your college?
Are there services for people with ASD?

There is no shame in asking for help. In fact, it is a noble quest.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 8:51 am

Another idea is from a book I read by Luke Jackson - Freeks, Geeks and Aspergers.

He said doing your homework at school was easier than getting motivated at home or the distractions at home which caused him to leave his homework.
He made time at school to get his work done so when he got home he could relax.

Also if you have someone to help you at home and help direct you when you are struggling can help.

It is difficult to know what would be helpful for you as the reason you are not doing your homework is not clear.

I know I didn't know what was stopping me when I had this problem - I had to find ways to push through it. Ways which suited me. I was my own worst enemy. I got there in the end and made it to the end but it was a big slog.