Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 4:45 am

I don't know how many people can comment on this one but I'm curious, for anyone whose been able to play both side by side, which they prefer and for what.

With my joint ASP.Net Core 2 and Angular 4/5 projects I've found that while I like the UI of VS Code a little bit better I really don't like the lack of NuGet package management and on that account I still feel more comfortable sticking with VS. With Node.js you can at least command line an npm outdated and npm updated. Unfortunately dotnet cli isn't nearly as nice.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:46 pm

For Web developement, especially for Angular/Node.js /JS/TS web apps, I prefer VS code - I heard webstorm is best for it though but never tried it.

I love VS Code because it is fairly light and for its useful mini add-ons that you can add and remove anytime. It is not a true IDE, just an advanced editor.

VS studio (isn’t it called VS Community now?) is better for C# and Java and any language that requires compiling which you can’t do on VS Code anyway - and best for debugging on compile; it is too heavy for a moderate laptop though and its “add-on” are giant bulk of things. I think it is an overkill for web dvlpmt.

I find the source control in VS code UI very confusing though, I prefer to use the command terminal regardless of IDE.