Are our bodies sickly? - Co-morbid disorders?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sorrend
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2018, 10:11 am

Hello!

I've been diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (and Asperger's).

I've also been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, ADHD, low blood pressure, Dyspraxia, cluster headaches, eczema, facial dandruff, allergies, a selective IgA Deficiency, low muscle tone, etc.

Do you think this is an Autism thing? If Autism is genetic, could this mean we just have more fragile bodies? Is it just a me thing?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:13 am

Autism, in and of itself, doesn't usually cause physical ailments (except, perhaps, for gastrointestinal issues).

I believe it's the STRESS accompanying autism which could cause more physical ailments than the "normal" population.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:20 am

I don't know, but I have some issues too. Digestive stuff, allergies, asthma, dry skin, history of former eczema, to mention some

edit: it wasn't stress related for me, some of these things are in my larger family, so I think it's genetic

I used to have extremely bad headaches. I've never suffered light sensitivities but when I had those attacks, I was queasy, dizzy and at worst the normal day light was so bright for my headache tortured eyes that I closed the curtains, lay with my back towards the window and closed my eyes under the duvet, still was really bothered by it. And while some sounds are psychologically annoying, those headaches are the only times I have suffered sounds. Everything was too loud. It was probably migraine.

I haven't had it like that since a few times in my 20's.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:41 am

Many "neurotypical" people have eczema and things like that, too.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2018, 11:46 am

I believe recessive or rare genes often go together.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:11 pm

The human body is a pathetic, weak, fragile blob of flesh, autistic or otherwise. I hate being reminded of that whenever I'm sick or a lot of other people are sick. I wish we were naturally stronger and more resistant to illness and injury like animals usually are. Animals in the wild don't have doctors or nurses or medicine or hospitals, but they can recover quickly from an injury that might leave a human unable to live normally for weeks or even months.

On the other hand, when we do get sick or injured we don't usually have to worry about being eaten by predators or starving to death because we're not able to hunt.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 6:13 pm

Sorrend wrote:
Hello!

I've also been diagnosed with anxiety, depression, ADHD, low blood pressure, Dyspraxia, cluster headaches, eczema, facial dandruff, allergies, a selective IgA Deficiency, low muscle tone, etc.

Do you think this is an Autism thing? If Autism is genetic, could this mean we just have more fragile bodies? Is it just a me thing?

That's quite a list. Facial dandruff? Never heard of that one before. Is it possible you've been over-diagnosed? It seems (to me anyway) that virtually everyone has a condition of some kind, one that needs a label, and therefore a treatment (i.e. medication). Where have all the normal people gone? Are they now extinct?

ADHD - many children are "diagnosed" with this, but it used to be the case that if a child (especially and usually a boy) was inattentive, disruptive and couldn't stay still for five seconds that they were "just being a boy". It was considered to be quite normal, and not something to worry about, but now... ! What has happened to the world?

Sorrend
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2018, 9:36 pm

Lintar wrote:
Sorrend wrote:
Hello!

That's quite a list. Facial dandruff? Never heard of that one before. Is it possible you've been over-diagnosed? It seems (to me anyway) that virtually everyone has a condition of some kind, one that needs a label, and therefore a treatment (i.e. medication). Where have all the normal people gone? Are they now extinct?

ADHD - many children are "diagnosed" with this, but it used to be the case that if a child (especially and usually a boy) was inattentive, disruptive and couldn't stay still for five seconds that they were "just being a boy". It was considered to be quite normal, and not something to worry about, but now... ! What has happened to the world?

Facial Dandruff, also known as Seborrheic dermatitis or Seborrheic Eczema, common in people with eczema or regular dandruff (I have both). It occurs on the eyebrows (which makes sense to me), inner creases of the nose, and inner ears. Misdiagnosed as acne and exacerbated by medication, a hands off approach actually helped!

About being over-diagnosed, I agree and disagree. I think that the IgA Deficiency, an immune condition, is partly to blame for most of it. I think that a lot of it may just be symptoms of the deficiency. Or, it could be some genetic thing related to Autism. IDK!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm

When I was a child the only unusual health problem I really had was that I got a lot of ear infections, I must have had ear tubes put in every month! And then when I was a teenager I got a really bad mastoid infection and had to have surgery on it at least twice. :( The doctors once said that that my ear canals weren't changing shape like they're supposed to when you get older which is why adults don't get as many infections.

Sorrend
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2018, 5:34 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
When I was a child the only unusual health problem I really had was that I got a lot of ear infections, I must have had ear tubes put in every month! And then when I was a teenager I got a really bad mastoid infection and had to have surgery on it at least twice. :( The doctors once said that that my ear canals weren't changing shape like they're supposed to when you get older which is why adults don't get as many infections.

What a coincidence! I had 11 ear infection before I turned 10 months, and now my ear canals are "small," or "deformed."

Interesting. I was also on regular milk before being switched to soy milk, and my ear infections started to taper down.

This sort of stuff fascinates me.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 11:51 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
The doctors once said that that my ear canals weren't changing shape like they're supposed to when you get older which is why adults don't get as many infections.

That's really interesting, I never knew that. Would explain why my sister used to have multiple ear infections as a kid but is fine now (she's nonautistic).

My only physical problems are IBS and asthma. Apart from that I rarely get sick.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2018, 5:29 am

Although I have plenty of issues caused by my ASD I don't really have much in the way of other problems except for dysthymia, and I have had that so long that I am largely used to it now.

My body does seem to be slowly seizing up but it has been worked very hard out in the mountains or on the sea in a kayak over more than three decades. I do wonder if perhaps it is deteriorating faster than it would if I wasn't autistic, but it may just be normal wear and tear. Having been physically very fit for much of my life it is perhaps harder to accept that I just can't do as much as I used to, and I'm still far from being physically unfit.

Something I hardly ever suffer from is colds and viruses. Despite often sitting in the messroom at work surrounded by people snuffling and coughing, I never seem to catch whatever it is that they have.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2018, 3:47 pm

smudgedhorizon wrote:
I believe recessive or rare genes often go together.

Sometimes that is definitely the case, if they're close together on the same chromosome. What do I mean?

Here's two made-up chromosomes, each base is represented by an X and the two genes are A and B.

XXXAXBXXXXX
XXAXXXXXXBX

Genes A and B are more closely linked in the first case than in the second. In other words if you inherit one, the other one tends to come along for the ride.

If you'd like a better explanation, check here: Genetic crossing over & recombination

As for getting sick myself? Nahh, that almost never happens. Everyone around me gets big honkin' colds, and I don't get anything at all. Headaches won't happen except in unusual circumstances (running out of steam, reading/writing too much), and I don't really get stressed except under extraordinary circumstances. Might have some coordination troubles thanks to dyspraxia, lastly, I'm colourblind, but that's not linked with ASD at all.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm

I have several co-occurring neurological conditions, allergies and asthma, grew up with frequent ear infections as a little kid (which seems to affect my hearing a bit) and almost died from a viral infection before birth...I wash my hands a lot and otherwise have a strong immune system.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2018, 9:17 pm

Sorrend wrote:
Hello!

I think it's more common in us NDs because with the way our brains are wired we are more sensitive to things in general. Any type of energy in excess has the potential to imbalance us moreso than it would in a neurotypical.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 9:22 pm

I'm fine physically. Though I am extremely sensitive and I rarely exercise or go out. The ultimate obstacle to being healthy like others is my feeling of being uncomfortable when out of the house. It's just down to social anxiety really, most likely worsened by Aspergers. I try to exercise indoors but I just forget.