Are our bodies sickly? - Co-morbid disorders?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 9:22 pm

I'm fine physically. Though I am extremely sensitive and I rarely exercise or go out. The ultimate obstacle to being healthy like others is my feeling of being uncomfortable when out of the house. It's just down to social anxiety really, most likely worsened by Aspergers. I try to exercise indoors but I just forget.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 11:00 am

Not sure. At my age it's hard to know how healthy I'm supposed to be. No abnormal gastro-intestinal discomfort. I'm physically fit enough to ride a bicycle, though it can be tiring. All my life I've had various sub-clinical ailments - a slight eyelid twitch, itchy skin, ocular (silent) migraine, feeling hot and cold, general tiredness, and more recently a suspicion of early arthritis in my hands, and walking briskly for long distances seems harder than it used to be, though I also had that as a child. I often wonder how many of my ailments are just because of this "uncomfortable in their own bodies" thing that autistic people are said to commonly have. I've been dismayed by the lack of interest my doctors have shown for these things, and have long given up mentioning my symptoms to them.

Interestingly, I've noticed that "facial dandruff" thing slightly. I usually try simple remedies rather than modern potions, and I found that a drop of olive oil helps a lot, so does regular face-washing. Again I put it down to my age, everything starts to dry out. My larynx isn't as flexible as it used to be, neither are my eyes, hence my need for reading glasses.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 4:37 pm

I have a rare bone and neurological disease called MHE which is linked to autism. I also had childhood epilepsy, have chronic digestive issues, low muscle tone all linked to autism. I have chronic hives as well though I havent found any link to autism.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 7:18 pm

It's interesting to see people expounding on what we already knew about broad autism phenotype. I know I'm in there somewhere. Personally I suspect I have a somewhat mild, EDS-type connective tissue disorder - I'm partially double-jointed (hyperextension) & I found out about it when I realized sleeping on the wrong side aggravated my cardiac arrhythmia. The rest of my physical build also corroborates it. Not sure if it's related but I also have patulous eustacean tube - some kind of trouble with & behind my sinuses. I've had strep quite a few times as a result & quite a lot of complications resulting from the antibiotics.

I could go on & on but overall yeah, my body's a bit of a lemon; it does bug me.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 12:45 pm

When you're suffering from bad anxiety and depression due to having to live in a non-autism-friendly world, it naturally makes your body less resistant to illness. And having to live in a home with at least ten other people doesn't help. When I lived in such a place I got a cold at least once every other month and a lot of ear infections. Most of the other residents were also heavy smokers who were allowed to smoke indoors just as long as it was in an enclosed room, as if that helps.

Not long before I was diagnosed I was living in a home with only two other people and one staff but I just started getting sick a lot. I had a bad eye infection and then a throat infection and all kinds of cold or flu-like illnesses. I had terrible insomnia and I was just disgusted and angry at everyone and everything and started being just plain evil. That's why I think being diagnosed with Asperger's probably saved my life.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 9:24 pm

Being diagnosed risked my life - I got a bipolar diagnosis slapped on my head & had to cold-turkey off lithium after a year, it was screwing up my stomach & equilibrium.

Rolling around the floor convulsing =\= mental health. Just all around not healthy. Coming off that stuff was also considerably worse. :roll:

@lostonearth - I very much agree. In psychiatric terms, any doctor who dislikes anything about me reserves the right to kill that part. They deal in ultimatums until I tell them I won't respond to coercion. :(

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 12:17 am

I had epilepsy as a child and I was double-jointed. I’m still unusually flexible and the people at my yoga class do comment on it which I think is a bit rude really. I don’t make personal remarks about them.

I have a long history of adverse drug reactions. I had an adverse reaction to the Hep B vaccine. The Dr thought I had Ross River virus but the test for it was negative. I asked if I could be having an adverse reaction to the vaccine and he told me it definitely wasn’t so I had the booster and it was. The reaction is 1 in 4000.

I had an adverse reaction to Prostin when my son was being born. It triggered a tonic contraction which is a contraction that doesn’t stop. It’s a very rare reaction, 1 in 100,000. My Obstitrician had read about it once in a journal so he worked out what was wrong quickly and I was rushed into theatre for an emergency caesarean which saved both mine and my sons lives.

I had an adverse reaction to contrast that I was given for a CT. I became thyrotoxic and developed cardiac arrhythmias. It’s a 1 in 10,000 reaction.

I had a paradoxical reaction to Propranolol and the list goes on. If there is a rare reaction I’ll probably have it.

I also have MTHFR and CYP2D6 genetic polymorphs.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 1:25 am

I've had adverse & unusually strong reactions to at least 90% of psych drugs I've tried, propranolol included; it's been so many different problems they're hard to sort out in my head. I can't ask to be dosed low enough, nobody makes those doses.

Also I'm allergic (or somehow averse) to amoxicillin, which I found out from strep.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 4:31 am

cberg wrote:
I've had adverse & unusually strong reactions to at least 90% of psych drugs I've tried, propranolol included; it's been so many different problems they're hard to sort out in my head. I can't ask to be dosed low enough, nobody makes those doses.

Also I'm allergic (or somehow averse) to amoxicillin, which I found out from strep.

Find out about genetic testing for CYP2D6 and the other genes for liver enzymes. It can be done from a mouth swab. I can’t take almost all psych drugs and beta blockers because I do not make the right liver enzyme to metabolise them due to a 2D6 polymorph. I am what’s called a poor metaboliser. It’s also possible to be an ultra rapid metaboliser. I now have a long list of drugs I can legitimately say will make very unwell when a Dr suggests them so I don’t have to learn from trial and error. :)

This lists drugs and the liver enzymes required http://www.ildcare.eu/Downloads/artseni ... YP450s.pdf

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 12:46 pm

Stop eating the processed foods..the pysical stuff will go away. Its not genetic, its environmental but people are being made to feel they are to blame. Its BS! Clean out your lifestyle and the physical difficulties will go away.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 12:52 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
When you're suffering from bad anxiety and depression due to having to live in a non-autism-friendly world, it naturally makes your body less resistant to illness. And having to live in a home with at least ten other people doesn't help. When I lived in such a place I got a cold at least once every other month and a lot of ear infections. Most of the other residents were also heavy smokers who were allowed to smoke indoors just as long as it was in an enclosed room, as if that helps.

Not long before I was diagnosed I was living in a home with only two other people and one staff but I just started getting sick a lot. I had a bad eye infection and then a throat infection and all kinds of cold or flu-like illnesses. I had terrible insomnia and I was just disgusted and angry at everyone and everything and started being just plain evil. That's why I think being diagnosed with Asperger's probably saved my life.

I know you mean well and you want to help but being stressed does not creat sickness in the way society likes to portray. Stress simply does not create the illnesses most people suffer from. Processsed foods, crapy lifestyles etc cause health issues...not psychological distress.

We need to stop using stess as a scapegoat.

It prevents people from undersanding what is really making them sick!
which prevents society from find the cure....