Autistic Child 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
Child with Autism 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
I don't care 55%  55%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 51

TallsUK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2018, 2:52 am

I have prefered to describe myself as an autistic person When I found out that a group of people had decided that was bad and that we should only say 'person with autism' I went into overdrive and point blank refuse to say 'with'. I should be described as a 42 year old child.

There has been some really interesting research done into this recently.The majority of healthcare professionals and educators prefered the individual first (with) with the majority of autistic people prefered identity first.

No one reason was given for this but one common issue was that using the condition as a noun, with autism, makes it sound like something that is separate for the individual and can be put on an off like a hat or coat. The adjective makes it feel more like a very real part of the condition.

Sorrend
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2018, 11:22 am

Sorrend wrote:
I personally don't care

The responses to this poll have been very interesting.

The main feel that I've gotten so far is that either we don't care because why should we care, or we want to be called an Autistic Person because it is part of our identity (and because grammar).

The interesting part is that I think the idea is calling someone a Person with Autism removes them from their diagnosis, so that they don't identify so much with it.

This just highlights the disconnect between those with Autism and those caring for someone with Autism.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 1:59 pm

I don't like being called an autistic *child* at all. Here's a news flash: autistic kids grow up into autistic adults!!

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

22 Feb 2018, 3:13 pm

Bizarrely, I find that I want to say "Child with Autism" but "Autistic adult."
I think because for myself as an autistic adult, it is becoming as much a part of my identity as being British; I would say British person. But I also work in a school and there are definately situations when people need to be reminded that the child is a person first, and not see them as just a disability issue which needs to be resolved. Sometimes. There are other times when I want to say something like "Jo Bloggs is an autistic child, please give him more time to answer the question instead of repeating it over and over."
So I think it very much depends on the context and what I would be trying to achieve by the language.

Of course if we were French it wouldn't be an issue because they usually put the adjective after the noun anyway.

I can't imagine the word "sperg" without hearing it in an American accent. That's weird but also entertaining. :)

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 6:02 pm

TheAP wrote:
Lintar wrote:
This argument again. No, having blonde hair (or, as you prefer, "being a blonde girl") is not the same thing as autism, for a number of reasons. For one thing, a person can easily change their hair colour. There is also not the stigma attached to people who have blonde hair and, what's more, people who have blonde hair are not in any way, shape or form, socially handicapped. You simply cannot equate the two. People don't say, "You better watch that girl over there, she might commit a school shooting, because she has - the horror! - blonde hair!"

Now, not for one moment am I in any way suggesting that it is more likely that someone with autism will commit an atrocity (we're actually less likely to), but that doesn't alter the fact that there are many ignorant people out there who really do believe that we are dangerous. Yes, they themselves are to blame for their own stupidity and ignorance, but what can you do?

How will saying "person with autism" instead of "autistic person" reduce the stigma against autism?

I didn't say that it would, but was merely making the point that autism isn't who we are, but something we have. People who have schizophrenia, sociopathy or blindness generally don't say, "My schizophrenia/sociopathy/blindness is who I am, and I would not want to be without it, because then I would become someone else". The vast majority of people who are blind would jump at the chance to be able to see again, and the same goes for those who are deaf. Why do so many who have autism see it as some kind of advantage, as though it were something to be proud of? That's something I have never understood.

Autism isn't some kind of "next stage" in humanity's "evolution"; it's a handicap. Sure, there are some advantages to having it (ex. our renowned impartiality and ability to recognise BS when we come across it), but overall it makes life far more difficult for us. The person I responded to claimed that we wouldn't say, "a girl with blonde hair", but rather "a blonde girl", which is a comparison that just doesn't make much sense, and I explained why.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 1:12 am

Autistic child. Political correctness has gone way too far.

TallsUK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2018, 3:40 am

Lintar wrote:
TheAP wrote:

I didn't say that it would, but was merely making the point that autism isn't who we are, but something we have. People who have schizophrenia, sociopathy or blindness generally don't say, "My schizophrenia/sociopathy/blindness is who I am, and I would not want to be without it, because then I would become someone else". The vast majority of people who are blind would jump at the chance to be able to see again, and the same goes for those who are deaf. Why do so many who have autism see it as some kind of advantage, as though it were something to be proud of? That's something I have never understood.

Autism isn't some kind of "next stage" in humanity's "evolution"; it's a handicap. Sure, there are some advantages to having it (ex. our renowned impartiality and ability to recognise BS when we come across it), but overall it makes life far more difficult for us. The person I responded to claimed that we wouldn't say, "a girl with blonde hair", but rather "a blonde girl", which is a comparison that just doesn't make much sense, and I explained why.

There are a lot of people in the Deaf community who would consider your comments to be incredibly offensive. Some people in the Deaf community fiercely campaign against the use of cochlear implants which to a hearing person look like a wonderful 'cure'.

I think the autistic community could learn a lot from their experiences and attitudes. They are after all historically they are one of the longest standing 'disabled' communities and having been working closely together to improve society for themselves for at least 200 years.

Goth Fairy
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2018, 8:15 am

TallsUK wrote:
Lintar wrote:
TheAP wrote:

There are a lot of people in the Deaf community who would consider your comments to be incredibly offensive. Some people in the Deaf community fiercely campaign against the use of cochlear implants which to a hearing person look like a wonderful 'cure'.

I think the autistic community could learn a lot from their experiences and attitudes. They are after all historically they are one of the longest standing 'disabled' communities and having been working closely together to improve society for themselves for at least 200 years.

Absolutely! There are many Deaf people who do think that their Deafness is a part of who they are, which is why they refer to the Deaf Community and Deaf Culture. There is a push back against the feeling that others want them to all become hearing, they feel that they would lose a beautiful language and culture. I think that working with Deaf people for so many years has given me a much more positive postition in which to accept my autistic traits. I was only diagnosed about a year ago, but I have worked with Deaf people over many years. They have helped me to see that one can can have what is seen as a disability but still accomplish much and have a distinct and valuable contribution to make. That have helped me to see that one can be proud to be different.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 12:28 pm

TallsUK wrote:
Lintar wrote:
TheAP wrote:

Deaf Culture
Quote:
Deaf culture is the set of social beliefs, behaviors, art, literary traditions, history, values, and shared institutions of communities that are influenced by deafness and which use sign languages as the main means of communication. When used as a cultural label especially within the culture, the word deaf is often written with a capital D and referred to as "big D Deaf" in speech and sign. When used as a label for the audiological condition, it is written with a lower case d.

Members of the Deaf community tend to view deafness as a difference in human experience rather than a disability or disease. Many members take pride in their Deaf identity. Deaf people, in the sense of a community or culture, can then be seen as a minority group, and therefore some who are a part of this community may feel misunderstood by those who don't know sign language.

Deaf culture is recognized under Article 30, Paragraph 4 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which states that "Persons with disabilities shall be entitled, on an equal basis with others, to recognition and support of their specific cultural and linguistic identity, including sign languages and deaf culture."

In Deaf culture, person-first language (i.e., "Person who is deaf", "person who is hard of hearing") has long been rejected since being culturally Deaf is seen as a source of positive identity and pride. Instead, Deaf culture uses Deaf-first language: "Deaf person" or "hard-of-hearing person".

Bolding mine

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 9:19 pm

TallsUK wrote:
There are a lot of people in the Deaf community who would consider your comments to be incredibly offensive.

Well that's their problem. Why should I care? People are so easily "offended" these days! I have stated my opinion, and I am free to do that.

TallsUK wrote:
Some people in the Deaf community fiercely campaign against the use of cochlear implants which to a hearing person look like a wonderful 'cure'.

The "deaf community"? I've come across the expression "the autism community" as well, and I have to say that I don't think of myself as belonging to any 'community' simply because I have this one thing in common with others who like to think they belong to such a community. Communities generally have spokesmen as well (or is that now "spokespeople" or some other such silliness?), people who take it upon themselves to speak for all the other 'members'. Well, no, no one speaks for me, I speak for myself.
As for those who reject hearing implants, well, if they are on welfare because they are deaf then they should lose their welfare benefits. I did not choose to have Asperger's Syndrome, and if it were announced tomorrow that a way to erase it had been found, then there would be no hesitation on my part. Being on welfare isn't any fun at all, it's humiliating, and without AS my chances of finding stable employment would skyrocket.

TallsUK wrote:

And there it is - "the autistic community". THERE - IS - NO - AUTISTIC - COMMUNITY!! !! !! !! !! !! Got it?! We're not like the Borg Collective, with one mind, one purpose. We are all different, we are all individuals.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 9:26 pm

Goth Fairy wrote:
TallsUK wrote:
Lintar wrote:
TheAP wrote:

Absolutely! There are many Deaf people who do think that their Deafness is a part of who they are, which is why they refer to the Deaf Community and Deaf Culture. There is a push back against the feeling that others want them to all become hearing, they feel that they would lose a beautiful language and culture. I think that working with Deaf people for so many years has given me a much more positive postition in which to accept my autistic traits. I was only diagnosed about a year ago, but I have worked with Deaf people over many years. They have helped me to see that one can can have what is seen as a disability but still accomplish much and have a distinct and valuable contribution to make. That have helped me to see that one can be proud to be different.

"They have helped me to see that one can can have what is seen as a disability but still accomplish much..."

That's because it IS a disability! They can't hear, they're deaf. I suppose people with limbs missing aren't disabled either. Blind people? Oh no, they're not disabled, they just "have their own culture and language". :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:19 am

Lintar wrote:

The "deaf community"? I've come across the expression "the autism community" as well, and I have to say that I don't think of myself as belonging to any 'community' simply because I have this one thing in common with others We're not like the Borg Collective, with one mind, one purpose. We are all different, we are all individuals.

By that defintion there is no such thing as a community. People do often use community as a synonym for having one thing in common. An example would be the “Asian community”.

The deaf activists do seem to have more of the similar world view then the Neurodiversity advocates. Thier organization are more advanced, their tactics more effective.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 1:23 am

I wonder if deaf people prefer the term deaf child or child with deafness.....

TallsUK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2018, 12:29 pm

Lintar wrote:
TallsUK wrote:
There are a lot of people in the Deaf community who would consider your comments to be incredibly offensive.

Well that's their problem. Why should I care? People are so easily "offended" these days! I have stated my opinion, and I am free to do that.

You are right. I doubt the Deaf community will actually care about you but you are not presenting yourself in a particularly nice light.

Lintar wrote:
TallsUK wrote:
Some people in the Deaf community fiercely campaign against the use of cochlear implants which to a hearing person look like a wonderful 'cure'.

The "deaf community"? I've come across the expression "the autism community" as well, and I have to say that I don't think of myself as belonging to any 'community' simply because I have this one thing in common with others who like to think they belong to such a community. Communities generally have spokesmen as well (or is that now "spokespeople" or some other such silliness?), people who take it upon themselves to speak for all the other 'members'. Well, no, no one speaks for me, I speak for myself.

It is common for communities not to know who their spokesmen are or to feel that the spokesmen does not actually represent your views. I am guessing you are a big fan of Trump but there are many Americans who really do not feel that he speaks for the country. The US is still a community though.

Autistics do have various spokespeople who talk for them. Some are better than others but they represent us whether you like it or not. It is why we need to work together with the pro autism community to ensure that our spokespeople are putting forward a message that actually helps not hinders.

Lintar wrote:
As for those who reject hearing implants, well, if they are on welfare because they are deaf then they should lose their welfare benefits. I did not choose to have Asperger's Syndrome, and if it were announced tomorrow that a way to erase it had been found, then there would be no hesitation on my part. Being on welfare isn't any fun at all, it's humiliating, and without AS my chances of finding stable employment would skyrocket.

Many in the Deaf and autistic communities are able to find jobs that match their skill set and don't see there differences as something that stop them working. In many cases they are able to find jobs that they are better at than non-Deaf or non-autistics.

Lintar wrote:
And there it is - "the autistic community". THERE - IS - NO - AUTISTIC - COMMUNITY!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Got it?! We're not like the Borg Collective, with one mind, one purpose. We are all different, we are all individuals.

The community is made of of autistic people, families, psychologists, researchers and many others who are focused on the goal of making life better for autistic people. Everyone of the is an individual but the focus on a common goal is what makes it a community.

Every benefit that autistic people currently enjoy can be directly traced back to the community. You do not have to recognise that they exist if you dont want to but they are there if you want them.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 6:33 pm

TallsUK wrote:
It is common for communities not to know who their spokesmen are or to feel that the spokesmen does not actually represent your views. I am guessing you are a big fan of Trump but there are many Americans who really do not feel that he speaks for the country. The US is still a community though.

What? No. I am NOT a "big fan of Trump"! Who mentioned Trump? I certainly didn't, so why did you even go in this direction? What does Trump have to do with this?

TallsUK wrote:
Autistics do have various spokespeople who talk for them. Some are better than others but they represent us whether you like it or not. It is why we need to work together with the pro autism community to ensure that our spokespeople are putting forward a message that actually helps not hinders.

No, no one represents me apart from myself. That's just the truth. No one else knows what I have been through, no one else understands who I am, so :thumbdown: to the idea of "representation"!

crazy cats lady
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2018, 3:04 pm

An autistic grownup, an autistic woman. With autism sounds like it's something separate from you, but my asd is such a part of my life, and it affect so many things I do, the way I see the world, the way I live my life, the things that had happened to me.

The ultimate blog for cats lovers about the huge colonies of feral cats roaming the streets of Tel-Aviv. Feral cats videos, feline humor that'll make you laugh your whiskers off, and cats psychology like what cats dream about. Meet Amiga and Chocolate-Paws in my blog.