21 Feb 2018, 5:40 am

None of the above.

Kneel Before the Sperglord!

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish I could call myself an Aspie----but I'm not one. Because I had a severe speech delay.

I'll never be an Aspie as I have ASD , calling myself an Aspie is medically incorrect but I like the term sperg ( for myself only ) so clearly I don't like the word Aspie but don't know why :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

21 Feb 2018, 6:23 am

I forgot what forum I was on for a minute there and thought it was a coincidence that there happened to be so many other autistic folk here :roll:

Person with autism always sounds forced and unnecessary to me so I'm an autistic person. "Sperg" sounds kind of cool, I've never heard that one before!

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:26 am

Daughter got official diagnosis of ASD but we were told that even thought it has been phased out of the DSM she has Asperger's and so she calls herself an Aspie-girl, which she likes best. I like that too for her, it fits.

If I ever got diagnosed I would just say "I am autistic." I find it quite powerful and to the point and in my experience when people who are high functioning use the term it broadens people understanding of what it encompasses. When I hear someone say "I am autistic" then it immediately feels like they are describing their operating system in interacting with the world and that feels about right.

Last edited by elsapelsa on 21 Feb 2018, 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:27 am

OutsideView wrote:
I forgot what forum I was on for a minute there and thought it was a coincidence that there happened to be so many other autistic folk here :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How would you use "sperg" in a sentence please?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:32 am

OutsideView wrote:
"Sperg" sounds kind of cool, I've never heard that one before!

I think it was originally used as an insult by people without autism and still is so it's generally not liked here ( I could be wrong ) , I would not use it to describe anyone else but would happily call myself it.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:37 am

elsapelsa wrote:
OutsideView wrote:

"Ladies and Gentlespergs, Welcome to the show! I am Wolfram87, and I will be your sperg for the evening. As ever, do please remember that this is not an audience-participation performance, so please keep your personal sperging to a minimum until after the end of the show. Thank you, and enjoy!"

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:39 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
OutsideView wrote:

"Ladies and Gentlespergs, Welcome to the show! I am Wolfram87, and I will be your sperg for the evening. As ever, do please remember that this is not an audience-participation performance, so please keep your personal sperging to a minimum until after the end of the show. Thank you, and enjoy!"

I love it. You really cheered up my day. Thank you! (although for equity, I think it should probably be lady-spergs? or sperg-ladies?) From a fellow Swede (albeit one who escaped the motherland!)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:44 am

Glad to have cheered you up :) . And of course, I just couldn't think of a funny amalgamation for "ladies". "Spergies" seemed weirdly gender-neutral.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2018, 6:46 am

It is really interesting to read everyone's opinions on this. I've never given much thought to what words to use. The only time I actually thought about it was when I watched "Night Of Too Many Stars" and noticed that everyone was very careful to only use person first-language. I found it pretty ridiculous, because no matter if I'm called autist, person with autism, aspie, autistic, etc.. the condition is still the same.
But reading this thread, I realize there's more to those words than I expected. Interesting indeed.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:53 am

I think it is very interesting. When I did my research amongst African American Muslims in the U.S. I was quite surprised by how many people referred to themselves as "people of colour" then when I came back to Europe and used the term, people looked at me as if I was being racist. It is interesting how this goes in waves and what is acceptable to call oneself versus others.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 12:58 pm

Lintar wrote:
We are much more than just "autism", but saying that that is who you are by using the expression "autistic child/adult" gives people the impression that you allow yourself to be dictated by it, that you wouldn't be the same person person without it.

If I am correct that is what it boils down to for you, what other people are going to think. As they say haters are going to hate no matter what you call yourself. Call yourself what you feel. If you think of autism as curse call yourself a person cursed with autism.

For bad and good I do not think I would be the same person without it. I guess the autism part and the personality part of me are two different things but at this point in my life they are fused so tightly together as to be indistinguishable and unbreakable.

“Autist” sounds elitist to me. I do not relate to the term at all.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:19 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
OutsideView wrote:

It's Autesian Ladies and Gentlespergs. Sheesh, don't you know know anything Wolfram87 :roll:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 7:17 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Glad to have cheered you up :) . And of course, I just couldn't think of a funny amalgamation for "ladies". "Spergies" seemed weirdly gender-neutral.

"Spergettes"

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 7:24 pm

"Autesian" ?

Well...well...well.

I will just hafta ponder THAT one! :D

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 12:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
"Autesian" ?

Well...well...well.

I will just hafta ponder THAT one! :D

Well, we ladies are the well from which autism springs. If we didn't selfishly keep having autistic children we wouldn't be having this discussion :wtg: Think of all the money Autism Speaks could save if we ladies just said 'No' to flagrant procreation. :roll: