Autistic Child 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
Child with Autism 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
I don't care 55%  55%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 51

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 1:23 am

I wonder if deaf people prefer the term deaf child or child with deafness.....

TallsUK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2018, 12:29 pm

Lintar wrote:
TallsUK wrote:
There are a lot of people in the Deaf community who would consider your comments to be incredibly offensive.

Well that's their problem. Why should I care? People are so easily "offended" these days! I have stated my opinion, and I am free to do that.

You are right. I doubt the Deaf community will actually care about you but you are not presenting yourself in a particularly nice light.

Lintar wrote:
TallsUK wrote:
Some people in the Deaf community fiercely campaign against the use of cochlear implants which to a hearing person look like a wonderful 'cure'.

The "deaf community"? I've come across the expression "the autism community" as well, and I have to say that I don't think of myself as belonging to any 'community' simply because I have this one thing in common with others who like to think they belong to such a community. Communities generally have spokesmen as well (or is that now "spokespeople" or some other such silliness?), people who take it upon themselves to speak for all the other 'members'. Well, no, no one speaks for me, I speak for myself.

It is common for communities not to know who their spokesmen are or to feel that the spokesmen does not actually represent your views. I am guessing you are a big fan of Trump but there are many Americans who really do not feel that he speaks for the country. The US is still a community though.

Autistics do have various spokespeople who talk for them. Some are better than others but they represent us whether you like it or not. It is why we need to work together with the pro autism community to ensure that our spokespeople are putting forward a message that actually helps not hinders.

Lintar wrote:
As for those who reject hearing implants, well, if they are on welfare because they are deaf then they should lose their welfare benefits. I did not choose to have Asperger's Syndrome, and if it were announced tomorrow that a way to erase it had been found, then there would be no hesitation on my part. Being on welfare isn't any fun at all, it's humiliating, and without AS my chances of finding stable employment would skyrocket.

Many in the Deaf and autistic communities are able to find jobs that match their skill set and don't see there differences as something that stop them working. In many cases they are able to find jobs that they are better at than non-Deaf or non-autistics.

Lintar wrote:
And there it is - "the autistic community". THERE - IS - NO - AUTISTIC - COMMUNITY!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Got it?! We're not like the Borg Collective, with one mind, one purpose. We are all different, we are all individuals.

The community is made of of autistic people, families, psychologists, researchers and many others who are focused on the goal of making life better for autistic people. Everyone of the is an individual but the focus on a common goal is what makes it a community.

Every benefit that autistic people currently enjoy can be directly traced back to the community. You do not have to recognise that they exist if you dont want to but they are there if you want them.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 6:33 pm

TallsUK wrote:
It is common for communities not to know who their spokesmen are or to feel that the spokesmen does not actually represent your views. I am guessing you are a big fan of Trump but there are many Americans who really do not feel that he speaks for the country. The US is still a community though.

What? No. I am NOT a "big fan of Trump"! Who mentioned Trump? I certainly didn't, so why did you even go in this direction? What does Trump have to do with this?

TallsUK wrote:
Autistics do have various spokespeople who talk for them. Some are better than others but they represent us whether you like it or not. It is why we need to work together with the pro autism community to ensure that our spokespeople are putting forward a message that actually helps not hinders.

No, no one represents me apart from myself. That's just the truth. No one else knows what I have been through, no one else understands who I am, so :thumbdown: to the idea of "representation"!

crazy cats lady
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2018, 3:04 pm

An autistic grownup, an autistic woman. With autism sounds like it's something separate from you, but my asd is such a part of my life, and it affect so many things I do, the way I see the world, the way I live my life, the things that had happened to me.

The ultimate blog for cats lovers about the huge colonies of feral cats roaming the streets of Tel-Aviv. Feral cats videos, feline humor that'll make you laugh your whiskers off, and cats psychology like what cats dream about. Meet Amiga and Chocolate-Paws in my blog.

DancingQueen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Mar 2018, 3:21 pm

I don't wish to be called a child at all!!

I don't care whether it's "with autism" or "autistic", they mean the same thing to me.