Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:49 am

This is a mini rant. Just another thing to worry about. I have a space heater that runs quite hot. It can burn you if you touch it. I sometimes put my blankets on the floor when I get too hot at night. I moved the heater away from my bed so the blankets cant reach but Im worried the could get kicked over in the night. I turn my space heater off at night but Im just worried there will come a time I forget to turn it off. So I told mom maybe she should take it back and she said no. It gets cold here in Canada -13 to -28 on occasion. So she talked me into keeping it. She said she was going to replace it with a safer one that doesnt run as hot.

I dunno I just had visions of burning the place down and getting evicted!

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 12:25 pm

I also had a space heater when I stayed temporarily in a trailer in Forks. It was a 1200W Westinghouse infrared heater. If you accidentally kick it over, electronics inside would automatically turn off the heating element.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 12:27 pm

Most modern space heaters, probably, turn off automatically similar to what Robin has described.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:18 pm

The ones I have dont turn off automatically. At least I dont think so. Like maybe If they tip over. Im just worried if my blankets get aginst it. I guess I could throw them on the other side of the bed...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:26 pm

Yep. Keep the blankets away from the heater. Excellent idea.

It's supposed to go up to 13 Celsius in Halifax tomorrow, with rain. It won't go below Minus 10 all week. It'll be above freezing most days for a maximum temperature.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:47 pm

Yes weve been having unusally warm temperatures here

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 4:05 am

Sarahsmith wrote:
This is a mini rant. Just another thing to worry about. I have a space heater that runs quite hot. It can burn you if you touch it. I sometimes put my blankets on the floor when I get too hot at night. I moved the heater away from my bed so the blankets cant reach but Im worried the could get kicked over in the night. I turn my space heater off at night but Im just worried there will come a time I forget to turn it off. So I told mom maybe she should take it back and she said no. It gets cold here in Canada -13 to -28 on occasion. So she talked me into keeping it. She said she was going to replace it with a safer one that doesnt run as hot.

I dunno I just had visions of burning the place down and getting evicted!

There are space heaters that come with a number of safety features that reduce the risk of fire...for example, there are space heaters that turn off automatically if tipped over and have the heating element encaged such that it won't come into contact with the floor if tipped over and still hot. If you are getting hot at night, perhaps you need one with a lower setting.