Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

streetrodder
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2018, 2:32 pm

Hi all

I'm a 61 year old semi-retired engineer. My wife has been convinced I'm an Aspie for a while; and I've tended to not dispute it. I've spent 30+ years in Al-Anon dealing with the effects of growing up in that environment. After clearing all that away, there was still some parts that didn't change. Those things all fit in Aspergers: Visual thinking (I thought everyone did), inability to read non-verbal cues, social interactions are often torturous, immense struggles with relationships, etc. I wouldn't be married without the help of some great friends (though it's a struggle). On the plus side, I do have the high IQ part, which worked out well professionally. I'm very curious about the world. Also, the survival skills from my childhood transferred well to surviving in the real world.

After working with my therapist for a while and looking at the evidence, she's convinced as well. The challenge, of course, is whether it's worth pursuing an official diagnosis. We may be better off acting 'as if' and going from there. Feedback appreciated on that.

Anyway - I'm glad to find you all and am looking forward to this adventure (I think)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 7:01 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 8:14 am

Hello Streetrodder,

Welcome.

There are plenty of older models on here.

Plenty of younger ones too with older heads.

I hope you enjoy your time here.