What do you think about minorum drinking age 18 VS 21 :-)

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:34 pm

European VS American prohibitionist approach?

Quote:
Do you think that when you are 32, you can still become a bootlegger or even a moonshine maker :-)?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 643AAPA8V3

The above question is of course satirical and rhetorical, please refer to him with a distance, in his opinion is only to provoke intelligent discussion of intelligent people.

I am Polish, the annual conference of the Polish (Catholic) Episcopate under the patronage of the Primate of Poland, the most important bishop in the rank of cardinal, just ended.

Bishops debated the restriction of alcoholism in our country, despite the fact that despite the fact that my country, contrary to common and harmful opinions, has the lowest alcohol consumption per capita in the entire European Union, according to the EuroStat.

The bishops called for a ban on 24-hour shops with alcohol, and raising the American model of a minimum age to 21 years, because it was allegedly scientifically proven that the human brain will develop up to the age of 25.
Personally, I am 31, I am a student, I do not like alcohol, except wine (I prefer sweet wine) and beer.

I am a member of facebook group, one of our Polish right-wing vloger, he is a supporter of moderate Capitalism of economic philosophy of Milton Fredman and Friedrich Hayek, if you knew who they are :-)

I am an autistic person, although very high, really high. I have Asperger's syndrome

I recently had a medical board, an examination for a new disability ruling, so far I had a moderate degree of disability, but now I was demoted to a "slight degree of disability" I was pissed off because I lost some social benfit, it was just a penny...

But was enough to buy my prescription drugs in pharmacy :-)
This allowance is for anyone with disability that started in childhood and it's no mater how much such person earn i earn really low but i can live with that :D

So i said that that so good that it's cool that Bishops can do s**t about their planes, they can be called social interest group but quite powerful.

I wrote that the bishops should take care of proclaiming the Gospel and not in politics, especially the miracle in Cana of Galilee. XD

That they probably do not know the geopolitical situation of the Polish state, and with which countries borders Poland from the East side xD

I wrote that I do not like and do not drink strong alcohol, but if I was 18, I would think that my brain is mine, not the Bishops' and to the state.

That if they forced their plans, maybe I should be a bootlegger and smuggle vodka from Ukraine and Russia, want to put prohibition on the American pattern, maybe I should become Polish Al Capone, and thus take away this Polish state steals from me in the form of VAT and PIT :mrgreen:

In addition, the pareta law says that if client want something he should get it Need and Demand :-)

My mother taught me that it is worth being honest :-)
Now I see that I was naive approach!

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 4:21 pm

I have no opinion because I had a strange childhood.
I started vineyard tours with my family at age 11. I was allowed to buy 12 bottles for the year, but I had to explain why I chose each vintage, out of the hundreds if tastings.
After my 13th birthday, I had a job, so my dad gave me permission to buy whatever I wanted from the local liquor store owner. (They were good friends. My dad would sometimes send me to get something for him.) I ended up a wine snob, and only drank expensive hard liquor (the cheap stuff tasted nasty). Beer was for parties, and baseball games (imported beer only unless someone else provided a keg).
My friends and I never drank to the point of nausea or hangover, because we thought that was no fun. In the summer we would hang out at the neighborhood pool. The neighbors never complained, and the police would simply drive by and wave. By the time I was 18 and legal, alcohol was just not a big deal.
My uncle was a moonshiner.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 4:26 pm

It's always seemed ridiculous to me that in America you're deemed unfit to handle drink until 21 but you can handle a gun at 18.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 4:35 pm

Supposedly the French let their babies drink wine, and smoke powerful cigarettes. Or that's the American stereotype about France.

But here in the states that was a hot running debate for a number of decades in my lifetime.

In the Sixties it was the norm for states to ban drinking below age 21.
But during the Sixties we also had a little thing called the Vietnam War, which caused the draft. And the drafted extended in age down to 18year olds. So if you were 18 you were old enough to die for your country, but not old enough to drink. That seeming contradiction caused out rage, and resulted in drinking ages being reduced to 18. That in turn resulted in near genocide of teenagers in the 70's. The statistics overwhelmingly showed that lowering the age to 18 was a good way kill off teens by the droves on the highways. So gradually the drinking age limits of states went back to up to 21 by the end of the 70's.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 20 Feb 2018, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 4:53 pm

In most parts of Canada the legal drinking age is 19. I don't drink alcohol myself. I'm emotionally unstable enough as it is without being under the influence, and fail to see the enjoyment of something that makes them sick and hungover or turns them blithering idiots who commit air rage on planes, kill people in car accidents, abuse their family members, have unprotected sex, and on and on. And yet "they" would ban video games before they would ever ban alcohol. Yeah, I get that it's "okay" if the person is old enough and drinks responsibly, but how many people actually do? No, they think my brain cells are being rotted away by playing such horrific game as The Sims and Animal Crossing and Operator 911, the latter of which you virtually *save* lives. And of course, I'm supposed to be a child molester because I Animal Crossing and even use a Nintendo DS. :roll: But I digress.

I'm a nerd, a wet blanket, a goody-goody for not drinking alcohol. But the safer things that I do find fun and enjoyable are considered weird and abnormal by NTs. Go ffffffffffffffigure! :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 6:31 pm

I was 18-21 when the drinking age was 18 during the 1970s. There were reasons the drinking age was raised over the objection of the restaurant and bar lobbies. A lot of people got sick, hurt and died. The peace was often disturbed. Call me sexist but the drinking age should have been only raised for guys. Guys as a whole were a lot less mature then the girls at that age and at that time at least where I went to college. The obvoius descrimination of my suggestion is the reason it was not even considered.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 4:24 am

Drake wrote:
It's always seemed ridiculous to me that in America you're deemed unfit to handle drink until 21 but you can handle a gun at 18.

LOL i wonder it that too, and fact that Americans circumcise their boys at daily basis, i'm from Poland i was circumcised partially only the part of foreskin, that was abnormal due phimosis, and now i can use my foreskin that left from it in way that null warranty, if you knew what i mean :mrgreen:

But in America apparently you could circumcise you baby for some cosmetic reasons disguised that it had "some medical benefit"

In my country for cutting off a dog's tail or a piece of ear, you can have a criminal case for abusing animals, and if the body's integrity, young boy and his "tail" is more important, this is a rhetorical question, you do not have to answer.

Which does not mean, of course, that this procedure is forbidden but that parents must meet one of the following criteria: :mrgreen:

A) They are Jews
B) They are Muslims
C) The treatment is medically justified

I have deep respect for America but for few things i'm glad i was born small insignificant country called Poland in Central Europe :D

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2018, 7:57 am

I too have always found the American legal ages-system very strange. That the legal driving age is 16 makes perfect sense, because they all drive automatic cars which are ridiculously easy to maneuver, and I've seen seven year olds who drives stick shift, so I have no questions there. But to be allowed to vote and join the military at 18 (or is the military 17?), but not have a beer until 21, that is messed up. Especially since I've heard the beers over there are the weakest there is. That's funny to me, because over here, we're allowed to drink anything with less than 14% alcohol from the time we're 16. Then again, the Danish love their beer. The Danish standard for a medium alcohol-level beer, is the same as the Swedish strong beers, which you're only allowed to buy in the government's alcohol-stores until 8pm on weekdays.
And yes, the Swedish alcohol-rules are weird too. The government holds a monopoly on alcohol, and you're allowed to drink in bars from the age of 18, because it's supposedly a safe environment to get drunk. But you're not allowed to buy it to take home (very unsafe!) until you're 20.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 6:43 am

The alcohol industry should be abolished an universal teetotalism established. Until society progresses to that point, the more restriction the better.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 12:17 pm

yelekam wrote:
The alcohol industry should be abolished an universal teetotalism established. Until society progresses to that point, the more restriction the better.

And what is wrong with a glass of good vodka or whiskey? ;)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 3:14 pm

Drake wrote:

With parents permission you can go fight in war at 17, 18 without but they can’t frink, own handguns. But we let them go fight with bombs, tanks, handguns, machine guns etc. now trump wants to raise the age to 21 to own guns maybe the legal wage to serve in the military should be raised then to. If they can’t be trusted with the rights they shouldn’t be allowed or forced(draft) to go die for those rights.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 3:15 pm

yelekam wrote:

Yeah cause That worked great in the past, just as well as the drug war is working now. :roll:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 3:26 pm

sly279 wrote:
yelekam wrote:

Yeah cause That worked great in the past, just as well as the drug war is working now. :roll:

Absolutely. We can thank the Volstead Act for the rise of organized crime in the U.S. to unprecedented levels. Prohibition causes far more harm to society than drugs or alcohol.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 3:32 pm

18 here in the UK to drink.

Although we were allowed beer & wine with Sunday lunch from around 13 years old and you can get into pubs here before 18 as long as you don't look very young for your age. I played for the local pub pool team at 16 before I left school as they put me down as an 18 year old, I didn't look it at all though.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 4:03 pm

I think cultural differences should be taken into account. What's right for one country may not be right for another, even with something like legal drinking age. Sure, there are consequences to raising or lowering the legal drinking age, but that's a decision various governments have to make for better or worse, and as far as I know the majority consent with the legal drinking age of their country aside from the occasional underaged individual wishing they didn't have to wait a little longer.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 9:58 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
In most parts of Canada the legal drinking age is 19. I don't drink alcohol myself. I'm emotionally unstable enough as it is without being under the influence, and fail to see the enjoyment of something that makes them sick and hungover or turns them blithering idiots who commit air rage on planes, kill people in car accidents, abuse their family members, have unprotected sex, and on and on. And yet "they" would ban video games before they would ever ban alcohol. Yeah, I get that it's "okay" if the person is old enough and drinks responsibly, but how many people actually do? No, they think my brain cells are being rotted away by playing such horrific game as The Sims and Animal Crossing and Operator 911, the latter of which you virtually *save* lives. And of course, I'm supposed to be a child molester because I Animal Crossing and even use a Nintendo DS. :roll: But I digress.

I'm a nerd, a wet blanket, a goody-goody for not drinking alcohol. But the safer things that I do find fun and enjoyable are considered weird and abnormal by NTs. Go ffffffffffffffigure! :roll:

Yes, I completely agree. I don't smoke cigarettes (or anything else), have never taken drugs of any kind whatsoever, hardly ever touch alcohol, and yet there are some silly people out there who would probably think of me as being dangerous because I like computer games. We keep hearing from these people how "video/computer games corrupt the minds or our youth, and make them violent", but of course they never present any evidence to back up their ludicrous claims. Gee, I wonder why?