How many people here have an eidetic memory?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

savavdpeas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2018, 4:34 pm

How many people here have a photographic memory?

It must be great to have one. I wish I had one.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 4:36 pm

I don't, and I'm glad I don't. Read "Funes the Memorious" by Jorge Luis Borges.

savavdpeas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2018, 4:42 pm

Is it because of the information overload?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 6:03 pm

I do. It's not super useful, but it does help me avoid face blindness.

This sounds interesting, though not all of it applies to me: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthymesia

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2018, 9:01 am

I do though most times I wish I did not. I have a bad habit of rehashing old experiences and things that made me uncomfortable, not great when you remember those things for the rest of your life. I am still face blind though but that works in a different way to normal recollection it seems.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 9:56 am

Pretty close, but I feel like I can't always access it voluntarily. Like I need a prompt and then my mind is flooded with everything I know about whatever.

chr0nic_t0xicity
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Feb 2018, 5:51 am

Yes... and it can feel like almost a curse at times, along with hyperthymesia of my own life.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 6:18 am

I had both a photographic and auditory eidetic memory up until I had a traumatic brain injury. I also had synesthesia and that's gone too. I miss it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 10:31 am

I have a decent memory---especially for past events. But not "eidetic."

Sorrend
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2018, 10:50 am

I feel like I have a *mild* eidetic memory, but perhaps my ADHD gets in the way.

I can script very well. If someone tells me something, no matter how long it is, I can repeat it right back to them. However, I often don't understand what they've said!

This was actually very helpful when I got my first real job. During the training, we had to watch videos on the history of the food (it was a restaurant) and were then asked verbal questions. I was able to recite passages from the videos easily!

Also, during educational testing, I was asked to recite numbers back to the tester. Then, numbers and letters. Then, numbers backwards, letters in alphabetical order, etc. Later that year, I was given the same test and I still remembered the numbers and letters!

So odd.

I would almost categorize it as non-functional eidetic memory, as it doesn't help me much in everyday life, but it is a weird little trick.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 11:26 am

I forgot what I was going to post about this.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 12:05 pm

bunnyb wrote:
I had both a photographic and auditory eidetic memory up until I had a traumatic brain injury. I also had synesthesia and that's gone too. I miss it.

Ouch! I am sorry about that. I miss my synesthesia, too. Research shows that it fades later in life. But, having just four triggers (the letters B, D, L and the numeral 2), and a few resulting qualia (Grapheme-color synesthesia, Chromesthesia, Auditory-tactile synesthesia and Misophonia), my synesthesia is apparently rare according to some researchers. In other words, my synesthesia packed a lot into one consistent experience.

My memory, however, is still humming along fine. I reexperience memories as movies. So, conversations end up reappearing in the same sequence. I can walk around in the scene and see it from different angles. The only drawback is when someone is reading or discussing written words on a sheet of paper or from a book, I can't see the words because I didn't seem them in the original experience. This kind of memory is useful to me even decades later. It helps me remember the other individuals in my memories.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2018, 2:02 pm

I have the opposite. I have the worst memory ever. I have exceptional facial recognition though.