"You just worry too much."

"You're probably fine."

"I've never heard of that before. It must not be real."

"You're too young to be sick like that."

And then they say

"You should get that checked out."

"I would be in the hospital if I were you."

"You're sick that often? Why do you even leave the house?"

It can be really frustrating. Sometimes I am just looking for sympathy, I admit it. I don't always want people to try to fix it, especially when they're not a doctor.

Sorry for the rant.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 3:58 pm

Don't be sorry. I yelled at three people last week for doing that to me. One was a meltdown, but the other two deserved it.

I tried to answer you yesterday, bit as I was typing, my cat threw up on my computer and shorted out the power supply. I am using my little pi right now. I will get another real computer next month.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 4:42 pm

That’s why I rarely share my problems unless I’m around like minded people I know I can trust. There’s always going to be ignorance. My dad on the other hand was a fixer. Instead of just listening, he would either tell me it was all in my head or overreact and try to get me to a doctor or recommend self help books. After I was diagnosed his attitude started changing evolving. Mental health is not an easy topic to talk about with all the stigma it still carries. That’s why I stick among people who are more like myself because they can in many ways identify and sometimes be able to empathize better than someone who isn’t in your shoes.

Sorrend
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2018, 5:37 pm

God, thanks for the replies. I was really worried that someone would actually comment something "Stop complaining."

Great to know that there are people that understand. I appreciate both of you so much.

Yokokurama
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Mar 2018, 8:24 pm

I hate when people say stuff like that, or "you're being too negative!!"
It's better than holding in pent up frustration till you explode!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 5:41 pm

Oh wow can I ever relate to this.. most of the time I'm indifferent these days, but every once in a while I still get frustrated at the fact that ~99% of this forum thinks I'm lying about my (self) diagnoses, and more importantly, the effectiveness of the treatment protocol I follow that keeps my ASD and other symptoms in check.

It's not just outsiders who don't believe things we know to be true. It's others right here amongst us, too. So, it's not an outsider NT thing to not understand/accept things. It's simply a human one, as the vast majority of posters here on this forum don't believe things I know to be true.

*shrug* Guess we just have to grow ever thicker skins and get used to it.