Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2018, 2:40 pm

kicker wrote:
Just for clarification and to simplify the problem let's review.

You posted to social media of choice either pictures or text.
You expected likes and shares of those posts.
When they didn't come You became upset.
You started to imagine generalized reasons as to why based on your own insecurities about your position or status in society.
You decided to find out why no one was commenting.
You came here and decided to post a question as to why it happens (another social media site) and asked for others to give their input.
You only responded what would be considered positively to those that shared in your grievance.
You only responded what would be considered negatively or not at all to those who didn't.

So that being clarified do you see a pattern in that?

Sorry, you have to be clear with me, I'm autistic. Say what you mean clear and short.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2018, 2:43 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I've accidentally ignored people who have tried to talk to me on Facebook just because I've not been able to get the controls to show me what I want to see. I don't post much there, and when I do it's usually just to reply to people rather than to display anything new. A few years ago I uploaded a picture or two, and luckily one or two people liked those, that's about all I've done. So as in my real social life, I don't stick my neck out much, so there's not much scope for rejection. I see a lot of stuff on Facebook by some of my FB friends, some get responses, some don't. I'd feel rejected if I put a lot of stuff out that got ignored, but then I scroll past most FB stuff myself, so I can understand how things can get missed and ignored without anybody thinking me particularly uninteresting. Trawling through Facebook can take hours, and nobody owes it to me to seek out and "like" my stuff.

To me, developing friendship isn't about expecting approval for showing things randomly. There has to be some tailoring to the other person's interests. My preferred alternative to Facebook for showing off is to perform music in places where the audience is likely to enjoy it, preferably with another musician or two so the embarrassment is diluted if we're not well received. Beyond that I don't like talking to large groups, so the smaller the better for anything social. It's much simpler dealing with just one person at a time, finding the common purpose between us and getting on with it.

As with FB I can understand that alot of pictures and stuff being left behind. As I said earlier my post was about Instagram and my profile is also private (hidden) so it's just ppl I have approved and know irl. Some of them ignores my post but never another one, that's the problem, when people choose to ignore and why they do that.

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Feb 2018, 3:20 pm

alpacka wrote:
kicker wrote:

You started to imagine generalized reasons as to why based on your own insecurities about your position or status in society.
You came here and decided to post a question as to why it happens (another social media site) and asked for others to give their input.
You only responded what would be considered positively to those that shared in your grievance.
You only responded what would be considered negatively or not at all to those who didn't.

Sorry, you have to be clear with me, I'm autistic. Say what you mean clear and short.

I feel that I was clear and concise in my remarks. I am sorry you feel like you need to deflect rather than engage.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 3:21 pm

alpacka wrote:
I would not spend time commenting on a post that I do not care a s**t about.

I guess that answers your own question.

DancingQueen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Feb 2018, 4:00 pm

Sounds like a human thing to me rather than an autistic thing.

Are you interacting with their posts? If not, it may be a case of them not wanting to interact with you because you don't interact with them, just shyness really. Instagram has a terrible algorithm though, unless your post gets a lot of likes within the first however many minutes of posting, it gets shunted to the bottom of everyone's feeds, so it may be more a case of they are not seeing your posts. Also, unless they are of a high aesthetic quality, they are likely to get scrolled past because Instagram is full of very well-taken photographs and a badly-lit unedited picture that doesn't look pretty at first glance is likely to be ignored. The standard is very high on Instagram. I get that it makes you paranoid though, it would do the exact same thing to me.

alpacka wrote:
If I choose to delete all these ghostfollowers, I will be interpreted as excessively sensitive and that's nothing I want stand up for and defend myself in the future either because it sound just stupid and I don´t think these people would understand. I know people thinking that social media is just silly and not that important, but it´s actually something we do these days to communicate and to value each other so it´s not that minor either.
I completely understand that, I don't think it's stupid. People like to pretend that social media is something we can choose to participate or not participate in but in reality, if you don't join in, you often end up missing out in real-life things as social media is how people arrange to meet up, often how they come across each other in the first place these days and how they turn acquaintances into friends. Starting a conversation with somebody requires you to have something to discuss, commenting on their social media post is interaction between the two of you that doesn't require this - there's already a subject matter and a conversation started. I would have had a lot less of a real-life social life when I was a teenager if it weren't for Facebook.

alpacka wrote:
Sometimes I think this evasive behavior has to do with the fact that I do not have a job and that people like to judge me from it. Everyone who gets many likes and comments are people who work and have a family, for me who has none of it, it's easy to go aside.
I worry about this too, I don't have a job either and people don't seem to understand that this is none of their business.

alpacka wrote:
So, how do you handle rejection on social media?
By feeling crap about myself :lol:

I also don't understand why people feel the need to comment on threads where they can't relate. You're not adding anything to the conversation, it seems arrogant of you to think anyone would care that you couldn't relate, but this being an autistic forum I understand that it may be something else rather than ego. Possibly just a need for completeness, somebody asks a question, there is an answer, so you do answer? I see it a lot here.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 8:51 pm

DancingQueen wrote:
I also don't understand why people feel the need to comment on threads where they can't relate. You're not adding anything to the conversation, it seems arrogant of you to think anyone would care that you couldn't relate, but this being an autistic forum I understand that it may be something else rather than ego. Possibly just a need for completeness, somebody asks a question, there is an answer, so you do answer? I see it a lot here.

I commented because I related to what kraftie said, and I didn't want him to feel alone, especially after the OP tried to project their insecurities onto him, so my original comment was less ego driven and more sympathy driven.
Not a very autistic characteristic, I know.

I felt kraftie was just being honest and even though he doesn't agree with the OP, his comment was just as valuable as anyone else's.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2018, 9:16 am

DancingQueen wrote:
Sounds like a human thing to me rather than an autistic thing.

Are you interacting with their posts? If not, it may be a case of them not wanting to interact with you because you don't interact with them, just shyness really. Instagram has a terrible algorithm though, unless your post gets a lot of likes within the first however many minutes of posting, it gets shunted to the bottom of everyone's feeds, so it may be more a case of they are not seeing your posts. Also, unless they are of a high aesthetic quality, they are likely to get scrolled past because Instagram is full of very well-taken photographs and a badly-lit unedited picture that doesn't look pretty at first glance is likely to be ignored. The standard is very high on Instagram. I get that it makes you paranoid though, it would do the exact same thing to me.

alpacka wrote:
If I choose to delete all these ghostfollowers, I will be interpreted as excessively sensitive and that's nothing I want stand up for and defend myself in the future either because it sound just stupid and I don´t think these people would understand. I know people thinking that social media is just silly and not that important, but it´s actually something we do these days to communicate and to value each other so it´s not that minor either.
I completely understand that, I don't think it's stupid. People like to pretend that social media is something we can choose to participate or not participate in but in reality, if you don't join in, you often end up missing out in real-life things as social media is how people arrange to meet up, often how they come across each other in the first place these days and how they turn acquaintances into friends. Starting a conversation with somebody requires you to have something to discuss, commenting on their social media post is interaction between the two of you that doesn't require this - there's already a subject matter and a conversation started. I would have had a lot less of a real-life social life when I was a teenager if it weren't for Facebook.

alpacka wrote:
Sometimes I think this evasive behavior has to do with the fact that I do not have a job and that people like to judge me from it. Everyone who gets many likes and comments are people who work and have a family, for me who has none of it, it's easy to go aside.
I worry about this too, I don't have a job either and people don't seem to understand that this is none of their business.

alpacka wrote:
So, how do you handle rejection on social media?
By feeling crap about myself :lol:

Thank you for your interesting post.

Yes, I'm always engaged in those I follow on social media so it can´t be that. I know many who never engage in others as many people are tired of, it´s natural that you get tired of someone who never cares in return. People that had never liking or commenting my pictures ever I avoid these days, it´s no point to be engaged if the other one really don´t care at all.

Algorithm was interesting, I did not know it was working that way, thank you for informing me about it.

I do not post bad pictures without thinking of lightning and I don´t upload pics that are too common or something I already posted many times. I'm not the type who post pictures on my breakfast (if it´s not something exclusice like from a hotel or something) or selfies, for example.

There are always a lot of reasons why people ignore someone but unfortunately I still think of this being unemployed and standing outside society-thing, that is something people like to keep away from. It´s like when you are being sick or mentally down, people just avoid because it´s easier for them. I think that may be the biggest reason, but I hope I´m wrong.

It´s nice that you understand me when it comes to those people who have to write that they can´t relate/don´t care at all. It's really "tough" to sit behind a screen and be cheeky, but what do they get out of it? If you do not have anything constructive to say except in the contrary and just looking for trouble please leave, I wish that these people will disappear and create their own topic instead so they could sit there and talk about how little they understand or care about different things (have fun folks!)

Social media is very interesting to talk about and it´s really something "all" adults use or tried at least once, it's never childish because of that big amount of adult users and it is also pure course to make interpretations based on how one's friends and acquaintances behave there.

I would have like to talk to people who can tell their own stories or experiences of social media without the people who just want to mess around.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2018, 6:30 am

kicker wrote:

Just for clarification: you missing the whole point.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 8:41 am

There really isn't any need to snark the OP. With that said, here are some thoughts.

I have a job. I have a family. I seldom get responses if I post anything. I pretty much know the reason and don't per se care. FB and other medias are cyber high school. I have about three friends on there that are the popularity queen type but it was for coordinating certain activities in the community. Facebook is my preferred mode of communication instead of phone calls. Do these prima donnas interact with me on a personal level outside of business? No and that is ok with me. I don't even follow their pages or make comments.

Facebook works for making hair appointments, dental appointments, just about anything as I don't like using the phone.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 9:17 am

Only a handful of people acknowledge my posts on Facebook. Those people are my two best friends, my family, and a couple old classmates. I don't really care for the high mentality of Facebook. I just like to stay in touch with my friends on Facebook.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 10:25 am

Here's an alternative reason why people might ignore your posts.

I decided years ago that I didn't want to see status updates of any of my Facebook friends. Instead I put all of them (except immediate family) on Unfollow mode (they remain "Friends" but I don't see their posts in my news feed). Then I use Facebook to join groups of interest to me, and I read only the group posts.

So if you were my Facebook friend I would never even SEE your posts or shares.

Does this mean I don't value your friendship? No. It just means I choose how I would like my Facebook experience to work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 10:27 am

I get ignored on a regular basis..."here, there, and everywhere," (per the Beatles).

I even get ignored here.....but---what can I do? I just have to keep plugging away.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2018, 11:50 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Here's an alternative reason why people might ignore your posts.

I decided years ago that I didn't want to see status updates of any of my Facebook friends. Instead I put all of them (except immediate family) on Unfollow mode (they remain "Friends" but I don't see their posts in my news feed). Then I use Facebook to join groups of interest to me, and I read only the group posts.

So if you were my Facebook friend I would never even SEE your posts or shares.

Does this mean I don't value your friendship? No. It just means I choose how I would like my Facebook experience to work.

Yes thats possible! But I only have Instagram and I dont think there is some ignore button there as you describe on FB. I rarely post either. I refer my post to friends that really ignore your post but are active on others, same minutes as you and these person uploaded something the friend jumps over your post and liking or commenting someone else.

And I know, there is off course no rule that everyone MUST like friends pictures, but I meant when friends actually do this all the time. To me it obvious they avoid but I would they rather delete me then ignore me :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 12:00 pm

I had to unfollow a girl I had on Facebook because every day she kept on sharing her memories (the posts she had posted each year on the date). Every post was a meme about depression and anxiety, and it clogged up my newsfeed. It's OK to post the occasional memory, but do you really need to post every memory every day?

I must admit, Facebook does keep me up with gossip about local people, like the type of gossip that you don't always get told by friends or that you don't like to ask.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2018, 2:42 pm

Facebook used to tell me who people really were....and who their friends are. Eventually got tired of that and a BeaArthur type page. Nobody's status updates. Just groups.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2018, 9:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I get ignored on a regular basis..."here, there, and everywhere," (per the Beatles).

I even get ignored here.....but---what can I do? I just have to keep plugging away.

I get ignored here sometimes too...(sheds tears)