British Advertising Archive - Anyone interested?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2018, 12:49 pm

https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/sea ... ommercials (archive search)

https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/rec ... 0d7b8b5313 (example commercial - possibly Aardman's first)

This is probably the only comprehensive English-language advertising archive on the internet right now. It's got a huge variety of British TV and cinema commercials, mostly from the late 70's to the turn of the millennium, plus some stuff from the 50's to mid-70's. You can search by Year, Director, Animation Director (you have to type in director names for both mediums as the filter as only 50 will be displayed because there's so many.) or brand name or ad title. Here's a tip: Try searching British directors and you're more likely to get some results - There's over 20,000 ads on there! The only searchable animation company is Aardman, due to their popularity right now. Director info, for some reason, is only on ads from the 90's and before.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 6:02 pm

Shame about the DOGs. They are a pain in the hole.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2018, 10:58 am

What are DOGs?

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2018, 11:04 am

Are you talking about the giant watermarks on each video? I think they're part of an anti-piracy mechanism so they can tell whenever people on YouTube and other sites steal their content. Other than that, everything works fine for me, unless there's something in Britain that I don't know about.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 12:39 pm

advertisingfan123 wrote:
Are you talking about the giant watermarks on each video? I think they're part of an anti-piracy mechanism so they can tell whenever people on YouTube and other sites steal their content. Other than that, everything works fine for me, unless there's something in Britain that I don't know about.

Sorry, it's a watermark, not a DOG. DOGs are for TV and DVD. Basically the same thing though.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2018, 2:10 pm

In Canada not many DVDs have watermarks on them - just public domain releases of racist 40s cartoons.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2018, 2:12 pm

On Canadian TV, almost every channel has a watermark on one of the corners. The kids channels (YTV, Teletoon, Family, etc.) don't really do it as much as the other ones.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 2:38 pm

advertisingfan123 wrote:
On Canadian TV, almost every channel has a watermark on one of the corners. The kids channels (YTV, Teletoon, Family, etc.) don't really do it as much as the other ones.

I didn't know what YTV was - had to Google. I confused it with our defunct YTV.