Life skills -Aware intellectually VS Actually Implementing

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sorrend
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2018, 5:15 pm

Often times, I feel like my problems are overlooked because I am intellectually aware of how to solve them, but lack the skills and drive to actually do so.

Example 1:

I understood how to vacuum my floor and could list off the steps to do so.
However, I lacked the upper body strength to hold up a vacuum.

Example 2:

I understand how to do laundry and can list off the steps to do so.
However, I cannot tell you when something needs to be washed and how to wash a lot of clothes in a timely manner.

Example 3:
I understand how to take the bus and what is needed to do so.
However, while on the bus, I get so flustered and confused that I am not able to reach my destination.

This disconnect between knowing how to do something and actually possessing the skills to do so has really created a problem when it comes to getting services and assistance.

Does anyone else experience this problem?
If so, have you overcome it? How did you do it?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 6:27 pm

As an older dude I typically have to work up or condition myself to handle physical tasks. For instance, when I first moved into a house with a yard I didn't start out like a young guy by planting shrubs in the yard. Instead, I started out by walking around and picking up sticks and tree branches. I'll look at a task and if it looks too hard. I'll work on ways of simplifying it or making it less strenuous. For instance, a five gallon bucket filled with water is heavy. It may make more sense to make a couple trips with less water.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 9:59 am

Very often, I feel I am not performing at my best because of anxiety. I know that, at my age, I may not catch up to where I should be and this often makes me anxious.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 1:11 pm

Basically, you work on the weak points in a systematic way. Most musicians practice for a couple of hours a day and enjoy the music. The best musicians practice doing things they can barely play, and enjoy the improvement. See inserts.

Sorrend wrote:
Often times, I feel like my problems are overlooked because I am intellectually aware of how to solve them, but lack the skills and drive to actually do so.

Example 1:

I understood how to vacuum my floor and could list off the steps to do so.
However, I lacked the upper body strength to hold up a vacuum.

Strength is built gradually. I try to integrate exercise into daily life, but you can do formal training. Adding 10% a week is painless and effective.

Example 2:

I understand how to do laundry and can list off the steps to do so.
However, I cannot tell you when something needs to be washed and how to wash a lot of clothes in a timely manner.

Many things are washed on schedule, underwear most frequently, and coats least frequently. Sheets and towels have considerable variation. Visible dirt is usually a signal, but may not be so on work clothes.

Example 3:
I understand how to take the bus and what is needed to do so.
However, while on the bus, I get so flustered and confused that I am not able to reach my destination.

Go with a guide, who can teach you to rely on a checklist. Watch the bus pass various landmarks as it approaches your destination, so you can pull the signal to get off at the right time.

This disconnect between knowing how to do something and actually possessing the skills to do so has really created a problem when it comes to getting services and assistance.

Does anyone else experience this problem?
If so, have you overcome it? How did you do it?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 2:35 pm

Good point! Yes, you want to train right at the edge of what you can do, which constantly changes unless you hit a dreaded plateau.