Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 3:28 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/history-of-gun-control-legislation/2012/12/22/80c8d624-4ad3-11e2-9a42-d1ce6d0ed278_story.html?utm_term=.3e71b1a8e541

I remember heated fights over gun control years ago.There was a major push in the 60’s and 70’s after the political assasinations and the spike in crime.

The emphisis was on the best way to prevent crime getting, your house robbed or being mugged that type of thing. The NRA was the boogy man then and people said gun control would leave only criminals with guns and law abiding helpless people then also

What has changed is a lot more emphasis on the 2nd amendment as a check on tyranny and gun identity/culture.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 3:50 am

Despite the popular notion of constant gunfights in the old west, the fact of the matter is, most western towns practiced gun control in one form or another. Men coming into town had to surrender their firearms to either the law enforcement officer, or to the bartender at the saloon they frequented. It was absolutely true that plenty of cowboys, miners, loggers, and other working men would drink a lot to blow off steam after getting paid, often resulting in explosive violence, not to mention the always present outlaw element who resorted to robbery to make a buck, which is why towns often hired hardasses like Wyatt Earp and Wild Bill Hickok to enforce those gun control ordinances.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 3:35 am

Adding on the above notion: the most infamous gunfight of the old west (the Showdown at O.K. Corral) lasted 30 seconds and left three dead. It was seen as an absolute massacre. Compare that to your average western movie gunfight.