Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 6:37 pm

Are Asperger meetup groups boosting involvement here on WrongPlanet (WP)?

Can it be said that boosting involvement with WrongPlanet better serves meetup memberships, as well as encouraging participation for people who would otherwise express doubts regarding the values of meetups?

For example, in the 'Social Skills & Making Friends' Forum thread, (LINK): 'Friendships with NTs aware of Aspergers? It's Doable!' We have yet to see (as of this writing) any meetup group organizers chime in to (WP)!

Why the disconnect??

LINK: viewtopic.php?t=360408

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 7:01 pm

meetup groups?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

liminal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2018, 9:41 pm

I don't entirely understand your question.

The ASD meetups here in Sydney are working really well, they're already organised on meetup.com and Facebook. In fact we seem to get more involvement than most other kinds of meetups.

I'm not so sure that involving WrongPlanet with it would help in any significant way. Well, all I can do is tell people here about the meetups (half the time they just ignore me - lol).

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 2:02 pm

liminal wrote:
I don't entirely understand your question.

The ASD meetups here in Sydney are working really well, they're already organised on meetup.com and Facebook. In fact we seem to get more involvement than most other kinds of meetups.

I'm not so sure that involving WrongPlanet with it would help in any significant way. Well, all I can do is tell people here about the meetups (half the time they just ignore me - lol).

Thank-you for your response.

I'm just saying that it seems to be "a given" so to speak that WP and meetup groups collaborate. Hence, it's natural to ask, "why the disconnect?" if lack of collaboration continues.

In the enclosed link in the 'Social Skills & Making Friends' Forum thread, I advocate that Asperger meetup groups are that chance to develop friendships with NTs who actually relate to adults with Aspergers.

What are the experiences with any NTs active in an Asperger meetup group?

liminal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2018, 12:00 am

I wouldn't know. NTs do not attend the meetups that I go to.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:31 am

NTs are likely "in the loop so to speak!" To give a couple of examples, how about the people who manage meeting-halls, or eating establishments where meet-ups are held? Anybody express genuine interest in how to best relate to adults on the spectrum?

As mentioned in the 'Social Skills and Making Friends' Forum, a meetup group (such as the San Francisco group AASHM) with almost 600 members, and established over the last few years is likely that six-degrees of separation from dedicated NTs in the loop.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 1:27 pm

I'm sure it can benefit both parties when a helpful Aspie and a helpful NT meet. We have the "NT-AS hotline" thread here, which I guess can be good if anybody has any specific questions for the "other side" to help with. In real life I suppose helpful NTs might turn up at Aspie meetup groups. I never went to one so I've no idea of what typically goes on there. In both the real life and the online situations, I don't know what qualifies either side to give their advice, but I guess that's the nature of self-managed groups.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 3:06 pm

WP discussions on meetup groups have been cropping-up lately.

I (and quite a few of us on WP) feel that boosting discussions on meetup groups might nudge, and hence boost participation in meetup groups!

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 3:27 pm

The 'Regional Meetup & Networking Thread Index' at the top of page-one in the 'Social Skills and Making Friends' Forum offers both specific meetup groups, and viewpoints on meetup groups.