That weird feeling after ending therapy.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:10 am

I had my last therapy session today.

My therapist asked if I wanted to continue our sessions since I seemed fine and well-adjusted to her, so I agreed and decided to end things.

It feels somewhat odd, almost as if I've lost a friend. Granted, I realise that a therapist isn't supposed to be your friend, and is supposed to keep emotionally detached in order to provide an unbiased perspective on things, but it's difficult not to feel at least some connection and feel a little sad when you lose that.

Has anyone else experienced this feeling when coming out of therapy? Happy that you've made progress, but also sad at the loss.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 10:17 am

There are psychologists who feel that no matter how “well-adjusted” one is—that one always needs some form of “therapy.”

I don’t subscribe to that theory. I don’t believe in unnecessary dependence on therapists.

I wish that you could become the therapist’s friend, if the therapist desires this. It is not an unknown occurrence.

But, for the most part, I would use your time in therapy as something to look back on in fondness. Your therapist enabled you to help yourself conquer many of the demons within you.

I would say, if a friendship happens to embrace it. If not, then just cherish the memories.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 7:23 am

My psychologist ended my therapy quite suddenly, saying she was going to start practicing in her home town. That coming all the way just to see me and her other bunch of patients was taking its toll. I was shocked because I hadn't known where she lived but when she told me, I was like no wonder. An hour's+ travel each way.

I felt strange when it was over. My psychologist recommended that I go to see her colleague, the one who diagnosed me with HFA. But she's too expensive. I guess I've gotten used to not seeing anyone over time.