Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 11:24 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I almost cried when I had to get rid of a car once.....

I think of auto mechanics as being "surgeons" in a sense.

Guitars.
Sometimes I feel like I can hear my guitars crying if they are in their cases not being played.
Part of why I don't like having more than one at a time. I get overwhelmed trying to give them all the attention they deserve.
I don't think I could ever work in a music shop.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:15 am

Chronos wrote:
I couldn't possibly answer this honestly without sounding incredibly arrogant.

I'd be interested to hear about your noteworthiness and I'm sure a little arrogance will be forgiven here.
Please tell us?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:22 am

I'm f****d up and don't really feel like I have any sense of what I am, other than being a revolting "it" which probably should be shot.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:29 am

Bad day, hey?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:06 am

Chronos could very well be a Renaissance Woman.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 4:17 am

Right now I'm a bit concerned about Raleigh. Or was he just being facetious? I'm hopeless at judging these things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 5:01 am

I hope he’s okay, too. He does have a penchant for being sardonic about himself.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 7:47 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope he’s okay, too.

Me three

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

bumbleme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2018, 10:19 am

I can't listen to music while working either.

Unlike the other aspies I know well, I don't need to rush to get things done before I can relax. It's the opposite for me, if I'm stressed I need to stop and get into a relaxed state before I can do anything.

I don't get too thrown by little emergencies (e.g. locking self out of home) as I can enjoy the problem solving. I like some changes in day-to-day. But I get really thrown by changes that affect my long-range goals or other things really important to me - often to do with my studies.

I go through phases of singing a lot. I like to sing to or about my cat. I sometimes sing my shopping list and other mundane tasks - This might not be related to autism but the little ditties are very repetitive and they probably can last quite a while.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 10:32 am

Good factual memory
A love of animals, especially cats
Interest in a tennis player, Denis Istomin, most people haven't heard of-but should
Anxiety/panic attacks, paranoia about losing personal items such as my purse and cellphone
Fear of getting lost when driving

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 11:42 am

Sensory Processing and Memory. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2018, 11:53 am

I have a thing for detail. I can also super focus to a point that would be difficult to match for many, also obsessions/research. It’s served me well in several interests, art where I produce detailed paintings and my former jobs in martial arts and the gym where my penchant for research and noticing things others wouldn’t and going into detail others would miss. All together the intense focus,detail and obsessions seem to have enabled me to become quite proficient at things without these I probably wouldn’t be able too.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 2:15 am

How some fabric seams sting while I wear them, having sensitive hearing and lower body awareness in space, that I was not behind in any milestones except in speech and that I am good at reading about topics I am interested in, for hours...I happen to be fairly coordinated even with dyspraxia.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2018, 9:55 am

The most noteworthy compared to other Aspies would probably be the fact that my speech was advanced after a slight delay. Really weird. I don't know how that fits in with my other symptoms. As compared to the general population, the most noteworthy aspect of mine would probably be how strongly I associate words with their meanings. If I don't like the texture of something, for example, not only will I avoid it at all costs, but if someone says its name, I swear it's exactly as if I was seeing and touching it. It was the cause of some of my worst tantrums as a kid. I once threw a turkey breast at my sister's head because she threatened to say one of the trigger words.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 5:21 pm

I can focus on a thing for an entire work day. When i get home, my brain continue to work on the problem and if i do not solve it that day, there is a high chance that i will finish it tomorrow.

I see patterns and correlations everywhere. Even when there are none.

I can read extremely fast. My brain can almost "scan" an entire article fast and identify keywords from the text mass so i can get a quick grasp of what the text is all about.

I can playback "video" of situations in my head, which also means that i have hard time forgetting someone. When i read books, i fantasize about the plot, the plot takes off on it's own and i have to stop and repeat text because the "video" has taken over. Imagine it like VLC player suddenly popped up and are blocking you from reading that e-book you just bought.

I'm highly asocial. I do not need social reaffirmation or contact with other people, i do also not have anything against it. I like being alone and working alone to not be weighted down by other people who work slower than me.

There are more things, but these are the ones i could think of while writing this.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 5:38 pm

I think my ability to "think outside the square" has been noteworthy, and has greatly enhanced my problem solving abilities. I believe it is strongly related to the AS in my family, as other members have it too. It has been applied in different ways. One of my sisters has applied it to an exceptional scientific career in chemistry; I applied it in academia too, and in finding solutions both in my own life, for friends, and as a parent/grandparent to whom younger members of the family looked to when they felt stuck with issues.

Pattern spotting has also been an enhancing factor which is different from the above but reinforces it. I can analyse situations quickly in considerable detail and spot the patterns intuitively. That has been a huge bonus to being on the spectrum and has helped me personally in all sorts of ways - like deciding which house to buy, when and how. The balance of good analytical ability with strong command of factual information allied to intuition has definitely been an AS advantage for me.