Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2018, 8:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
^^ This is the sort of thing which enabled Temple Grandin to invent all the things she's invented.

An ability to see things that many people can't see. To visualize it. To dream about it. To see the minute details which can make the difference between greatness and catastrophe. One degree of angle either way.

I don't believe autistic people are "superior," over all. To believe that would be absurd.

However, there are some things which some autistic people can do, which many neurotypical people cannot.

Fortunately, people who were in farming, and the architecture of farms, could see Temple Grandin's genius, and were able to "get around" her "eccentric" ways. Adjust to them.

I feel it would be of benefit (to all of us) if other people could "adjust" to us autistics like those farming people adjusted to Temple Grandin.

The organic farming/homesteading community is very welcoming and open to all people from across all spectrums of society. Temple Grandin is one of our most famous autistics, but she is certainly not alone. I went to a Mother Earth News Fair (aka CompostCon) a few years ago, and it was the first time I ever felt comfortably at home in the midst of thousands of people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 9:09 pm

Grandin was also able to influence more "pragmatic" people who were involved in agribusiness.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2018, 9:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Grandin was also able to influence more "pragmatic" people who were involved in agribusiness.

She’s changed many of the most heinous practices of the CAFOs - mainly by showing them how basic decency can save them money. In a way, she’s a perfect example of how autistics can be both extremely empathetic and practical. She’s a regular at CompostCon, and lectures and produces books on how smaller, organic or free-grazing operations can better manage their herds.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 9:54 pm

Yep....a really accomplished individual. And was classically autistic as a young child. Then, she became more "Aspergian" as time went on.

I was also classically autistic when very young, more "Aspergian" as I aged. I never had the visual acuity and flexibility of Ms. Grandin, though.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2018, 10:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....a really accomplished individual. And was classically autistic as a young child. Then, she became more "Aspergian" as time went on.

I was also classically autistic when very young, more "Aspergian" as I aged. I never had the visual acuity and flexibility of Ms. Grandin, though.

Looking over my life, I feel like I’ve become gradually less “Aspergian” over time as well. Do you think this is common? Are we dealing better with our symptoms, or is it that we created more supportive, comfortable environments for ourselves?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:04 pm

I think it depends on the person.

As for me, I have become less "Aspergian" mainly through life experience. A more supportive environment in some instances also assisted, though not to the extent of life experience.

In other people this could be reversed.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2018, 10:28 pm

Back to the main topic!

** hides face in embarrassment **

I can’t be the only one who did this... I hope...

When I was a little girl, I thought all objects had feelings. I’d hug my backpack. Mom had to take out the garbage when I wasn’t around, because I would cry with sympathy for the unwanted, unloved items. The Rudolph Christmas special with the “Island of the Misfit Toys” broke my heart every year! I remember being really emotional when my parents traded in their car.

I’m much better now, though I get a little sad pulling out dying plants and I hate killing off characters. I had a really annoying alien minor character I didn’t like that I had intended to kill off, but at the last minute I relented and had him escape into the woods instead. The little bugger was popular, several readers asked me what happened to him, so I said he went off to law school.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:30 pm

I used to think puddles felt cold when it was windy. I felt sorry for the puddles. I was 16 years old at the time.

I wonder if plants feel it when you "transplant" them. They are living things.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

definitely

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:33 pm

I almost cried when I had to get rid of a car once.....

I think of auto mechanics as being "surgeons" in a sense.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:42 pm

If we feel privileged enough to harp on our deficiencies, it is only fair that we, also, should feel privileged enough to extol our virtues.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:46 pm

I couldn't possibly answer this honestly without sounding incredibly arrogant.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 10:47 pm

We have the power, sometimes, of intense focus---which can lead to great things.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2018, 10:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to think puddles felt cold when it was windy. I felt sorry for the puddles. I was 16 years old at the time.

Thank you for sharing that! I feel less alone!

Some plants are more ‘with it’ than others. I had a sage seedling that burned its leaves - twice - by brushing against a grow bulb. He’s obviously not one of my more gifted specimens. My tomato plants could care less about getting transplanted repeatedly, while carrots never quite recover and have to start outside as seeds. Bean plants are aggressive. They’ll use extra effort to reach out from their own beanpole to invade the neighbors’.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 11:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Guitars.
Sometimes I feel like I can hear my guitars crying if they are in their cases not being played.
Part of why I don't like having more than one at a time. I get overwhelmed trying to give them all the attention they deserve.
I don't think I could ever work in a music shop.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 11:24 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Guitars.
Sometimes I feel like I can hear my guitars crying if they are in their cases not being played.
Part of why I don't like having more than one at a time. I get overwhelmed trying to give them all the attention they deserve.
I don't think I could ever work in a music shop.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard