Do copies hold the same sentimental value?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2018, 2:13 pm

Let's say that you have a prized possession and it got lost or broken. Would a replacement copy of that item still be important to you? I am a collector of memorabilia from a childhood cartoon. I have hundreds of items from this series including dvds, vhs tapes, toys, computer games, books, and other items that were made for this cartoon. I really love the toys. I got a lot of the toys and figurines when I was a little kid. I did not take good care of these toys when I was little and I ended up losing pieces to the playsets, some of them broke, and the original paint rubbed off. They no longer make toys for this series, so I can only find them on Ebay. These toys were very special to me when I was little and they still are. I have since gotten replacements of these toys off of Ebay because they are much nicer than the ones I sort of ruined and they are complete with all of their parts. Even though they are not the exact ones I had when I was little, they still hold that sentimental value to me and they are in much better condition. I take better care of the new copies of the toys than I did with the original toys I had. I have sold some of the worn out toys that I had on Ebay. People still bought them even though there weren't in the best shape. For me, I've got to have all of the pieces and parts and I want them to look nice.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 2:45 pm

A couple years ago I bought a Ninja Turtles action figure on Ebay, not the new ones, but one of the older ones because I had a lot of those when I was a little kid I liked the show and the live action movies. I regret that somehow I ended up getting rid of pretty much all of them over the years, aside from one because it seems like it would cost quite a bit to get even close to the full collection I had as a child.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 4:38 pm

It might, i like having my original Commodore 64, but i could do just as well with another box that i bought from eBay, it's mostly a museum piece nowadays anyway, and today i mostly play using emulators.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 9:30 pm

Right now I feel bad I sold my Super Smash Bros. Melee game a few years ago. Even if I found a copy second hand they'd probably charge even more for it than what it cost originally. I never even fought Giga Bowser and knew nothing about his existence until I played the later SSB games. :(

Of course, I want the game back so I can play it. Otherwise what's the point of owning a game? In fact there doesn't seem any point in owning something that doesn't give you any emotional pleasure even if it did at one time, otherwise you're just a hoarder or you're selfish. But then again, if I really believed that I'd give away nearly all of my stuff. Nothing left but my computer, my artwork and maybe some books. I've tried doing it before out of guilt. :(

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Feb 2018, 10:42 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
A couple years ago I bought a Ninja Turtles action figure on Ebay, not the new ones, but one of the older ones because I had a lot of those when I was a little kid I liked the show and the live action movies. I regret that somehow I ended up getting rid of pretty much all of them over the years, aside from one because it seems like it would cost quite a bit to get even close to the full collection I had as a child.
I had a lot of those action figures too & got rid of em as a teen because I had quit playing with them due to being more into TV, vid games, & music. I gave em & most of my other toys to a younger kid who's family was a family friend. It was suggested by my parents that I give them away to him. I miss em & other action figures & related things every now & then but I don't miss em enough to look em up on eBay. I don't have much money & wouldn't really play with em.

lostonearth35 wrote:
Right now I feel bad I sold my Super Smash Bros. Melee game a few years ago. Even if I found a copy second hand they'd probably charge even more for it than what it cost originally. I never even fought Giga Bowser and knew nothing about his existence until I played the later SSB games. :(

Of course, I want the game back so I can play it. Otherwise what's the point of owning a game? In fact there doesn't seem any point in owning something that doesn't give you any emotional pleasure even if it did at one time, otherwise you're just a hoarder or you're selfish. But then again, if I really believed that I'd give away nearly all of my stuff. Nothing left but my computer, my artwork and maybe some books. I've tried doing it before out of guilt. :(
I relate to this. I got rid of my Mario Is Missing game for SNES because I found the game very frustrating cuz I didn't know the geography & had trouble figuring the hints out or even remembering them. I gave it away to a younger kid who still played SNES at the time & his family were family friends. Anyways thanx to the internet & my phone I think I could look up a guide nowadays as I play & breeze through the game. I never got around to looking it up on eBay thou. I have a lot of vid games I never played much & haven't played in a long time, & a lot that I bought online & never played. I got em with the intention that I'll get around to playing them at some point thou.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition