Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 6:59 pm

The problem with politics in general is people being tribal to their own team. This makes them ignore any fact that goes against their beliefs. The main problem isn't any "ism", being too far left/right etc blah blah. The main problem isn't white/black people etc. The problem is the team mantra.

It is so interesting and helpful to have decent discussions with people on this site who are willing to drop all that and just talk about the issue at hand. People who just defend their side's crimes because it is done by their side really shouldn't bother to take part in a discussion. They just hold everyone else up.

It is a beautiful thing to be wrong sometimes, because that is how we learn! People are trained to be divided.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 7:10 pm

I just think that all oppressed people have the right to stand up for themselves.

As a result, I end up on the left most of the time ... though I will never believe in something simply because the left says it. On any issue, I side with the oppressed.

I appreciate your hatred of people who treat politics like a team sport and try to replace logic with drama. The people who always side with a particular party are particularly bad. For years, the Democratic Party has been descending into corporate "liberalism" because too many people just side with the party and have no moral principles.

It's intellectually challenging to have moral principles instead of group loyalty, but I'm always up for an intellectual challenge.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

psycopathicteen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2018, 7:32 pm

I never vote for either of the two major parties anymore.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 7:40 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
I just think that all oppressed people have the right to stand up for themselves.

As a result, I end up on the left most of the time ... though I will never believe in something simply because the left says it. On any issue, I side with the oppressed.

I appreciate your hatred of people who treat politics like a team sport and try to replace logic with drama. The people who always side with a particular party are particularly bad. For years, the Democratic Party has been descending into corporate "liberalism" because too many people just side with the party and have no moral principles.

It's intellectually challenging to have moral principles instead of group loyalty, but I'm always up for an intellectual challenge.

When I praised people who are able to have a good conversation on politics, regardless of beliefs, you were the kind of person I was praising. I appreciate your honesty, though I disagree with lots of things you say.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 7:41 pm

psycopathicteen wrote:
I never vote for either of the two major parties anymore.

Good choice.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 8:57 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
The problem with politics in general is people being tribal to their own team. This makes them ignore any fact that goes against their beliefs. The main problem isn't any "ism", being too far left/right etc blah blah. The main problem isn't white/black people etc. The problem is the team mantra.

And the resultant confirmation bias that goes with it...

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 11:41 pm

I completely agree with you john.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:42 am

well said. :thumleft:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 11:46 am

Cheers.