Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 12:38 am

I do like quite a few movies and shows, but anymore I watch it all on places like netflix, hulu or just online streaming of interesting videos. Occasionally I see a movie in the theater. But yeah I don't like watching t.v with all the commercials and such...right now in my apartment me and my boyfriend just have internet with no cable and well I can't complain about the lack of commercials being on. Granted sometimes commercials pop up online, but it is still a lot less annoying than t.v ads because you can always mute it, or just leave the page or reload the page to get rid of it.

I mean the comcast service always advertises all their t.v crap...when a lot of people really only care about the internet because you can get better viewing of shows from internet services without watching a ton of commercials. Like between hulu and netflix who the hell needs t.v? I have access to both...because my mom has netflix so I use hers, and my boyfriends parents have hulu which they gave us the login for. So yeah all the shows without ads....aside from I would like to see all the Rick and Morty but hulu only has the first two seasons and netflix has none.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 6:48 am

I haven't watched TV since I was a child. As an adult, I own a TV, but it is purely there for the enjoyment of visitors, as it is generally expected as a source of entertainment.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 8:12 pm

I don't care for TV much. I might have it on for the news, or to watch a drama that may interest me (like 'the a-word'), or watch Jeremy Kyle just to see lowlives publicly making idiots of themselves. But otherwise I'm not one for TV.
My boyfriend will put the TV on the minute he gets up, which is annoying because it distracts him from doing chores or errands that need to be done, and he'd just waste the whole day sitting in front of the TV dozing off in the chair.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 8:18 pm

Same, I pretty much just watch things through some sort of streaming, and the occasional recorded thing where I can fast-forward through the commercials. I don't really watch much streaming, either, unless I'm obsessed with a particular TV show or movie.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 8:25 pm

I don't watch much T.V. these days. As entertainment goes, it's mostly video games, Netflix, YouTube, and Twitch.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 9:47 pm

I'm the same as the OP. Even for Netflix/Hulu, etc. I'll go days or weeks without watching anything.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 1:39 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't care for TV much. I might have it on for the news, or to watch a drama that may interest me (like 'the a-word'), or watch Jeremy Kyle just to see lowlives publicly making idiots of themselves. But otherwise I'm not one for TV.
My boyfriend will put the TV on the minute he gets up, which is annoying because it distracts him from doing chores or errands that need to be done, and he'd just waste the whole day sitting in front of the TV dozing off in the chair.

I usually just get on the BBC website for news updates, or get on facebook and look at my news feed as I follow it there to. Might seem a bit odd as I live in the U.S but seems a lot of times the BBC has better reporting about things going on in this country than the major news networks here.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 1:41 am

Keladry wrote:
I'm the same as the OP. Even for Netflix/Hulu, etc. I'll go days or weeks without watching anything.

I have done that since sometimes I cannot find anything interesting to watch, on the streaming services. I've also had times I plan to find something to watch before bed...and then two hours later I am still scrolling through netflix, and by then its too late to watch anything.

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2018, 1:44 am

Me too, I don't watch TV, Netflix etc.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 5:59 am

There are few TV shows I watch via streaming like game of thrones, stranger things and fargo. But mainly I just watch random stuff on youtube.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2018, 9:18 am

I don't really watch anything except for youtube videos, but even they mostly just serve as background noise.
Haven't had a TV since I moved out from my dad's. I don't think I'll ever buy one, but I do enjoy watching the news and the skiing-competitions when I visit my dad.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 9:24 am

I "unplugged" in the 1980s. Saw too many people arranging their lives around TV shows, being sucked into believing the characters were real, etc. (Leonard Nimoy had a lot to say about that, as does Brent Spiner). Saw too many people using it as a drug, as a way to avoid actually having conversations, etc. Had a roommate in college who was clearly addicted to it - roommate conscious = TV on. I couldn't move out of that room soon enough.

Haven't missed it. I can keep up with the zeitgeist on it just by reading online reportage, and check youtube for clips if I'm curious.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 2:45 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Keladry wrote:

I have done that since sometimes I cannot find anything interesting to watch, on the streaming services. I've also had times I plan to find something to watch before bed...and then two hours later I am still scrolling through netflix, and by then its too late to watch anything.

I'm the same way. Sometimes just deciding what to watch is too much and takes waaayyy too long! :)

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 7:21 pm

Even on Netflix, I find myself watching fewer and fewer shows. I often have to watch several episodes before I realize I don't like the show, and it's not getting better. Even if a movie is bad, it's probably under two hours long.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 2:20 pm

I can't imagine not having a TV. Even though there aren't a lot of things worth watching for the most part, it's still good for Netflix and DVDs (and YouTube when its working). Watching it on a computer just isn't the same, it's harder on the eyes and I sit more comfortably watching TV.
It's also far easier when 2 or more people are watching at the same time, which is daily in my home

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 6:34 pm

I'm considering getting the basic cable-TV package, as most of what is on TV is pretty bad!

Basic cable TV service offers the local channels for news, as well as the quality news channels for national/world news (with actual journalism), some science, comedy, and misc. channels are mostly OK. Two PBS stations are available. Yet, basic service does not offer HBO; the only other channel(s) I need for movies, and feature shows. :x

I watch lots of DVD movies (mostly older, foreign, and independent-made films), and documentaries.

After the 2016 US Election, I stopped watching most TV for a few days. Seriously considering a "media-detox" - I usually find-out about the latest news online anyways.