Thinking of contacting center for disabilities.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:34 am

Well I am on SSI but trying to work on getting a job and starting to become more financially independent. I contacted one place that works as an employment network with SSI but they didn't think their program would help and recommended I contact the disability center. So I will do that, I am just worried as I don't have an actual document that says I have aspergers....but I am om SSI which is disability so hopefully I'd qualify to get their help. But yeah the document I have just says PDD-NOS, which is persuasive developmental disability-not otherwise specified. So its not a 100% diagnoses of aspergers...but implies I am on the ASD spectrum or at least disabled to some level on the neurological scale. I guess I am just afraid of contacting them and having them say I am not disabled enough for the program. Like I think I do have some skills and knowledge that would be useful to a job, but not sure how to get any position when I suck at interviews and really have no real job experience.

I really want to help animals...Like I would love to work at a zoo or an animal reserve or something to do with taking care of animals and helping them, that is like my dream, but just not sure how realistic it is when I can't even get a college degree because I can't pass the math requirements...the nearest zoo to me seems to want only people that have gotten education and/or training of dealing with animals and all kinds of stuff I can't even live up to, so its like as much as I care about animals there is no way for me to enter the field...unless i get through college which wont happen. I just wish there was some way to get involved with conservation, helping wildlife and stray animals ect without having to attain a college degree. Like I could help the animals...but I cant get a job like that because I can't a pass remedial math in college. All my dreams held back just because I can't pass math, even though I'd probably be a great asset to have when interacting with animals....as more often than not they warm up to me. But no I fail at math so can't get the 'degree' to do that kind of work.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2018, 5:23 pm

In Zoo in the city where I live is possible help as a volunteer. Is possible get some experience as a volunteer and later get this job?

I'm not happy at my current work and I would like to change my job. I tried too some program in some organization. I told them that I don't know sure, if I have AS and they didn't have problem with this and arranged for me job interview in some company. This company didn't accept me, but I wasn't sure if this is good position for me. You can try to contact center for disabilities.

Last edited by Nira on 24 Feb 2018, 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 5:48 pm

I think it's quite a laudable thing you're doing, by the way.

I sense you are becoming stronger, and more confident.

I'm wondering about being a "veterinary assistant," and working in an animal shelter.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 1:18 pm

Nira wrote:
In Zoo in the city where I live is possible help as a volunteer. Is possible get some experience as a volunteer and later get this job?

I'm not happy at my current work and I would like to change my job. I tried too some program in some organization. I told them that I don't know sure, if I have AS and they didn't have problem with this and arranged for me job interview in some company. This company didn't accept me, but I wasn't sure if this is good position for me. You can try to contact center for disabilities.

I don't think so, they might have some volunteer opportunities...but I don't think you can actually get a paid job there through that. I guess if that is what I really wanted to pursue I'd have to look into it more, but seems like chances are you need some kind of degree based on looking at the employment section of thier website. Did not look promising for one looking to find entry level work.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 10:58 pm

In my experience, the requirements for the Social Security Administration to determine disability are tougher than most other agencies, and for a lot of benefits, like reduced-cost bus passes or food share or free cell phone, just having your SSI is adequate.

When thinking about jobs, if you are already on SSI, think about part-time at first. If you took a full-time job, you would not be eligible for SSI any more. But if you get a low amount of money, it will not reduce your award by much, and you'd still come out slightly ahead, PLUS you are building a resume for the future.

So yes, I think you should go to this disability center. Don't expect to get your dream job (honestly, few people ever get their dream job), but do consider whether it's a job you think you could stick with. For instance, if you have noise sensitivity, and it's in a noisy warehouse, you might stand it in the short run but could not last there for long.