Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:01 am

I've been part of a meet up group that I attend on and off since 2016 but I've only managed just to make acquaintances and no true friends in the group.

Lately, the leader of the group has been hosting DnD games and I've actually joined in on the ones he has done so far. One of the people who joins in is a pretty glasses wearing girl. I've tried talking to her but as usual with the conversations I have with people, they don't last long. Before she left, I asked her if she was off tomorrow because we played DnD pretty late and she replied that being a school teacher, she never works on Saturday. She also said "Come on, Mark!" after she said that as if I said something silly and when I replied, I stammered in my speech. I felt like an idiot and she probably thinks I am a weird person now. I feel like I blew a chance to make a new friendship and I am truly doomed to loneliness until I die. :(

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:03 am

well, it's something. :D

how did you reply? (when you stuttered)

is she your age or not too far off?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:14 am

I told her I used to work Saturdays but not anymore and I asked if maybe Summer school was different. Unfortunately, I made slight "Uh...uh"s when I talked. Fortunately, I didn't make a long and drawn out "Uhhhhhhhhhhh..." like I used to and especially what rednecks generally do but it still felt awkward and I've been told women find guys who give off that vibe to be "weird" at best or "serial killers in waiting" at worst.

She's a few years older than me but she looks like she's still in her 20's.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 3:14 am

Marknis wrote:
I've been part of a meet up group that I attend on and off since 2016 but I've only managed just to make acquaintances and no true friends in the group.

Lately, the leader of the group has been hosting DnD games and I've actually joined in on the ones he has done so far. One of the people who joins in is a pretty glasses wearing girl. I've tried talking to her but as usual with the conversations I have with people, they don't last long. Before she left, I asked her if she was off tomorrow because we played DnD pretty late and she replied that being a school teacher, she never works on Saturday. She also said "Come on, Mark!" after she said that as if I said something silly and when I replied, I stammered in my speech. I felt like an idiot and she probably thinks I am a weird person now. I feel like I blew a chance to make a new friendship and I am truly doomed to loneliness until I die. :(

I doubt she thinks poorly of you. A little bit of social clumsiness can be attractive in a man because a man who may be a little clumsy from time to time has to be a little forgiving of himself and is probably a little forgiving of others as well. One of the few men I found myself attracted to won me over when he stepped backwards and tripped over a trashcan. It's the Woody Allen phenomena. Women were attracted to Woody Allen (before it became known that he's of low moral character) because the characters he played were a little socially and physically clumsy and that made him seem approachable. And your question wasn't really silly because teachers often have work to do outside of school hours, like grade papers and make up lesson plans. You didn't ruin anything yet, you are just being hard on yourself. Ask her out for coffee or something. If you aren't the greatest conversationalist, ask her out for some type of activity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 9:22 am

She thinks you’re cute.

Don’t be a fool and give up on this.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 5:23 pm

I suppose I can ask her out for coffee or something but I don't know if I should do it immediately or wait until I see her next time to do so.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 7:22 pm

^^ Hearty endorsement of what Chronos is saying. Marknis, she may think you are shy and cute, and that's the Holy Grail!

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 11:59 pm

Marknis wrote:
I suppose I can ask her out for coffee or something but I don't know if I should do it immediately or wait until I see her next time to do so.

If you do it now, that will communicate to her the possibility that you might be interested in her as more than a friend. If you wait until next time, it's ambiguous.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 9:27 pm

My only real means of communicating with her besides the meet ups is through the message function on the Meet Up app. I sent her a message.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 9:35 pm

Marknis wrote:
My only real means of communicating with her besides the meet ups is through the message function on the Meet Up app. I sent her a message.

Good for you! That is very admirable.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 8:08 am

Well, she hasn't responded so far. :(

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2018, 12:47 pm

Marnkis,
I would not beat myself up over this one. It sounds like you reached out and expressed your interest in her and she didn't respond though you let the ball fall in her court. The best you can do is say hello to her when you go to your D&D sessions.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

27 Feb 2018, 3:03 pm

Well, she's a teacher and she must understand speech problems, not be scared of them.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 5:25 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Marnkis,
I would not beat myself up over this one. It sounds like you reached out and expressed your interest in her and she didn't respond though you let the ball fall in her court. The best you can do is say hello to her when you go to your D&D sessions.

I suppose I can say I tried.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

28 Feb 2018, 5:39 pm

What did you say? NT guys always say sth stupid...

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 2:37 pm

smudgedhorizon wrote:
What did you say? NT guys always say sth stupid...

I just told her hi and asked how she was. I don't say stupid crap like "Someone call God because Heaven's lost an angel!" which a lot of NT guys in my area do. :roll:

I sometimes fear that friendships are becoming a thing of the past. People seem to just want to stick to the social circles they already have and aren't interested in making new connections. I didn't make any solid connections in my developmental years and I feel so far behind.