Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2018, 9:58 am

Some people believe I'm not genuine. I will try to keep away from WP for a few days because what happens here upsets me and I don't like the way I feel. For recreational purposes I will be rewatching Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. Anime can't ostracize me or launch a smear campaign against me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 1:53 pm

I've experienced this sort of thing on WP a few times in my 8 years I've been here. So I know how you feel. What sort of threads or subforums have you felt you was being doubted?

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:08 pm

My "tribute" thread. Someone who had a bad experience here and was concerned for my wellbeing posted there, with what I believe were good intentions, so I tried to respond in a balanced way but didn't manage it.

Kip checked in quite quickly on that thread, which I'd hoped would help but it wasn't enough. I think where the mods are lenient, or seem so, they are trying to err on the side of kindness, because so many of us have received so little kindness in our lives. That can be very, very hard to do successfully - I just failed at it myself, on this subject, yesterday.

Come back soon, smudgedhorizon. I'm sure the mods can check everyone's IP addresses and confirm who is authentic, other PHPBBs I've known had that function so this one should too. For the record, I come here through a private browser function, myself, but I use it everywhere to minimize chaser adverts, etc.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:13 pm

i looked up the IP of her post above, didn't find any matches. looked up a few others and got nothing conclusive. if people think you're the user "smudge", well...i saw smudge post rather recently about how she thought you were her, or at least impersonating her name. IDK, it doesn't all add up.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 2:30 pm

^^ Thanks Kip, that's good enough for me. I remember seeing some confusion over the similarity of the usernames too. Betcha that's the source of the issue.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2018, 12:54 pm

Hey buddies! I'm back. Kiprobalhato, thanks for your help!
Thanks to all who supported me.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 1:27 pm

I'm really sorry. I had genuinely thought that you were one of SaveFerris' sock puppets, as he mentioned having a gripe with smudge, and you became a member, not long after that. I would never want to harm you, or anyone else. I hope you will accept my sincere apology. I hope you will enjoy your experience on the forum, going forward.

Kip, based on your post, I dont think you (or the person who receives reports, if not you) read my report. I, in no way had thought this was Smudge. Nor had I implied that anywhere. Perhaps someone else did, but, it wasn't I.

Just so you are aware, a person can have a separate IP address for each pupppet. I have done a lot of research on this in the past few weeks. It would be very easy to go undetected, if only looking at IP addresses.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2018, 3:10 pm

Never mind :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 3:15 pm

Smudge posts in a very different style. So does SaveFerris. Both are individuals, and have unique styles. No one could successfully imitate them, without detection.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 3:23 pm

If SaveFerris has made Smudgedhorizon as a sock puppet, then he makes some lovely sock puppets. :heart:

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2018, 3:40 pm

OK, maybe the thread should be deleted or moved to Members Only?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 3:44 pm

Maybe if anyone suspects someone of being a sock puppet it would be a good idea to contact a mod about it and not put it on the public forum.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 3:45 pm

I've been thinking about sockpuppets and stuff, and it occurred to me that I've seen many folks - on several different forums I've lived in - switch usernames, for lots of reasons. Sometimes someone just wants to start anew, sometimes they've simply tired of the old name, or it no longer means good things to them and they want to leave it behind.

I also read some boards for abuse survivors where some members change their usernames frequently because they simply feel safer if they do. I'd never, ever, ever take a negative view of that.

Thinking about all this, I'm going to look at each poster on WP with the assumption that they are authentic - and look at what their intentions seem to be, in the moment, as my guideline for responding to them.

So many people here are dealing with things I could never manage myself - severe dyspraxia, mobility limitations, mood and/or cognitive issues, hypersensory issues far worse than my own mild hyperacusis, chemical dependence issues, overwhelming isolation and loneliness, abject despair - just writing that list brings tears. I never want to turn away a soul in need of comfort or welcome... and I've decided for me that's worth the risk of comforting, or welcoming, the same soul under multiple names.

This judges, and rejects, nobody. I simply want to minimize the risk of me harming anyone in a place where people come for safety, and this is the solution that seems best to me.

Hier stehe ich; Ich kann nicht anders. I'm a Celt, and I love very much a group of older Benedictine nuns; perhaps that explains some of it.

Irish Rune of Hospitality
I saw a stranger yestreen;
I put food in the eating place,
drink in the drinking place,
music in the listening place,
and in the name of the Triune
he blessed myself and my house,
my cattle and my dear ones,
and the lark said in her song:
often, often, often,
goes the Christ in the stranger's guise,
often, often, often,
goes the Christ in the stranger's guise.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 4:47 pm

Im glad you’re back, SmudgedHorizon

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 25 Feb 2018, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2018, 4:56 pm

^^^OK, let it be.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 5:21 pm

Britte wrote:
I'm really sorry. I had genuinely thought that you were one of SaveFerris' sock puppets, as he mentioned having a gripe with smudge, and you became a member, not long after that. I would never want to harm you, or anyone else. I hope you will accept my sincere apology. I hope you will enjoy your experience on the forum, going forward.

Britte , I can assure you that I only have one account and your memory is incorrect about Smudge , I've never had a gripe with Smudge.
Whatever you think is going on , I am not responsible.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard