The Aspie anti gender neutral university rector candidate

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2018, 6:49 pm

Rector

Quote:
A rector ("ruler", from Latin: regerre and rector meaning "ruler") is a senior official in an educational institution, and can refer to an official in either a university or a secondary school.

COMMUNITY, NEWS CANDIDATE FOR ABERDEEN UNI RECTOR IN BIZARRE ANTI-TRANS RANT
Quote:
A candidate for the rectorship at the University of Aberdeen has described the provision of gender neutral toilets as “an ideology which is dangerous and must be stopped.”

Angus Hepburn was recorded airing his views during a panel debate at the University on Monday, where he also states he will “protect us, protect men, protect women from being able to have a space or not having to worry about not having some policies which are not popular.” (Sic)

Hepburn goes on to explain that he believes more than 1% of the toilets on University property are already gender neutral and so “we dont need anymore.”

When challenged by an audience member who asks “What about protecting non-binary people like me?” Hepburn was not able to offer a response.

In a statement provided Thursday, an Aberdeen University spokesperson told us:

“We are aware of concerns over comments made by a candidate during a Rectorial Election hustings event that took place at the University on Monday. This event was organised and overseen by the Student Election Committee, a body comprising of students that was introduced following the last election in order to bring enhanced oversight to the process.”

“Having carefully reviewed the circumstances, both the Student Election Committee and the University are satisfied that the moderator’s response was proportionate and sought to move the discussion on quickly, in a constructive manner. The University is currently considering an individual complaint in respect of the matter.”

Scottish Green Party Co-Convener, Maggie Chapman, and fellow candidate Fiona Kennedy, were also present in November 2017 when Mr Hepburn was challenged on his alleged homophobic views in a separate incident

I am appalled by what Angus Hepburn said yesterday. The university had the opportunity to challenge his homophobia and transphobia in the November elections, and chose to ‘have a friendly chat with him’ instead because he has Asperger’s. That, in itself, is just awful: to say that someone can get away with such hate speech because of a condition like Asperger’s is so deeply irresponsible, and also insulting to all those people with Asperger’s and other similar conditions who are not transphobes/homophobes.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 8:20 am

The problem illustrated.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 10:20 am

I'd like to see all gendered washrooms disappear off the face of the Earth.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 11:41 am

There's a reason why there's women's bathrooms which keep out men. Men have a tendency to want to "check out" women while they're doing their business.

You don't have too many perverted women who want to see men "doing their business."

I've seen quite a few men arrested for this.

I actually only believe in non-gendered bathrooms if there's only one toilet, and the door of it is lockable.

Note: I'm not saying this is a common thing at all. But it does happen. I don't want women to believe that men are constantly lurking around women's bathrooms looking to do this. But I still believe that there should be separate-gendered bathrooms.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 12:44 pm

I agree with the end of the article. This guy isn’t just displaying socially inappropriate aspie behaviour; he’s a hateful man.

As for gendered bathrooms.. meh, I’m indifferent. I don’t agree with kk that men tend to want to see women urinate/defecate. That’s gross and definitely not the norm.

Bars and restaurants in the gay district have had gender neutral bathrooms for many years and they pose no problem. A few of them have two different gendered doors, but they both lead into the same communal washroom. Stalls still lock.

I personally do not know anyone who has gender specific washrooms in their home and don’t see what the big deal is about similar things happening with public washrooms. People need to pee.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 12:51 pm

I never said it was the "norm." It's not.

All I'm talking about is the possibility.

I'm not against non-gendered bathrooms if there's one stall, and the door is lockable.

Yes, people have to pee.....

By the way, I see non-gendered bathrooms all the time. I don't feel the urge to carry a sign protesting it. I'm talking about the POSSIBILITY that you have some creep wanting to abuse the privilege.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 3:03 am

I'm a little confused.

The guy said "the people pushing for this are part of a hateful ideology." For the most part, this does seem to be true. But then the narrative became that he said that trans-people are evil and hateful, and that he is himself hateful for saying so.

I smell several rats.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 9:13 pm

Personally I don't see the point in transitioning if one can't pass well enough to use the restroom of their gender, because for most purposes, society determines sex and thus gender for everyday social purposes by outward appearance. A cis male who doesn't pass, who dresses as a woman and claims to identify as a woman will not be viewed as, related to, or treated as a woman. Non passing cis females who identify as male may occasionally get away with passing as a prepubescent boy but in most instances I think they are perceived as butch lesbians.

On the subject of "all gender restrooms" though, these have always existed. They merely changed the sign from...

To this...

Or something similar. Many women prefer to avoid such restrooms either because they are "grossed out" by using the same restroom as a man (women's restrooms have more germs than men's restrooms, however) or worry that a pervert has hidden a camera in them, which is known to occasionally happen.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 9:25 pm

I'd don't see why bathrooms have to be gendered, like sure its what I have grown used to but I don't think it is necessary.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 8:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's a reason why there's women's bathrooms which keep out men. Men have a tendency to want to "check out" women while they're doing their business.

You don't have too many perverted women who want to see men "doing their business."

I've seen quite a few men arrested for this.

I actually only believe in non-gendered bathrooms if there's only one toilet, and the door of it is lockable.

Note: I'm not saying this is a common thing at all. But it does happen. I don't want women to believe that men are constantly lurking around women's bathrooms looking to do this. But I still believe that there should be separate-gendered bathrooms.

I don't know if you know but in NY in the colleges they do have gender neutral bathrooms. When I used to go to this event at the college, they had gender neutral bathrooms after 2014 or 2015 I think.