Anyone here not like playing with online strangers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

c0r
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Mar 2018, 10:04 pm

I'm almost 30 and grew up playing SNES and NES with my friend from karate and even the crappier games were still a lot of fun. I mostly played SNES solo games so when I got a chance to play multiplayer it was a great way to stay friends.

Sadly multiplayer has been taken over by online games and you cant really make friends unless you go to an arcade or some video game tourny.

When xboxconnect came out I loved playing against online opponents with my friend even though it was WORSE than xbox live and incredibly slow.

Mainly I play single player games now which kinda sucks.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 4:11 am

I'm fine with playing online multiplayer games. I just don't like having to talk with other players. Right now I'm playing a ton of Puyo Puyo Tetris; it's my ideal multiplayer game. Just match after match of games, no need to interact with them other than through playing the game.

When I do play games with large multiplayer components, such as World of Warcraft or Elite: Dangerous, I generally am just playing solo unless I need to do something that absolutely requires other people.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 10:03 pm

I don't do multiplayer period.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 4:55 am

I don't mind playing with online strangers, but it's 100x more fun to play with people I know. I don't typically have time to play online games anyway, but I get drawn back to MUD2 every now and then.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 5:17 am

I dont like doing it either.

Particularly team-based games. WAY too likely to get into a team full of total jerks and trolls. I remember back when I was trying out Dota and similar games, in each match I'd auto-mute *everyone* at the very start. They're THAT toxic.

And even fighting games, the one type of multiplayer I do these days... I still make sure voice chat is always off. But that doesnt stop multiplayer from being horribly irritating. Can take forever to find a match, and most players will use whatever is considered the "correct" strategy with any given character. That community is like that: You either copy every bloody thing that "good" players do, or you must be a scrub. I will say though, it is SO freaking satisfying to crush that type of player with my generally abnormal playstyle (I dont copy anything, I just do whatever I figured out on my own, because screw it. I dont look at things like frame data either, because it's boring and screw that too).

And honestly it just got boring after awhile. These days I'll play fighters with friends, but... eh. I'm more into other genres these days. Which arent multiplayer.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 5:44 am

I gave up on team games after I tried BATTLEFIELD. It seemed like those players take it way to seriously and there was no tutorial / sandbox to practice in offline.

Previously though, I did immensely enjoy Max Payne 3 online Deathmatch because it was everyone against everyone and not in a team.

These days, I mostly play Fighters offline and trying out DOOM offline. I generally don't bother with fighters online because I don't want to wait to be matched with someone and the online community practices way more than I do.

I might consider the survival games PlayerUnknown: Battlegrounds or Fortnite at some point, but not in teams.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 7:56 am

VIDEODROME wrote:
PlayerUnknown: Battlegrounds or Fortnite at some point, but not in teams.

From what I've seen of these games, they honestly look like the worst experiences of all.

Any given match is typically LONG, and *most* of it will be filled with running/walking/hiding. As in, stuff not happening. And you could deal with this for like 20 straight minutes, going around just gathering stuff without much happening.... and then some guy snipes you in the head from like 80 miles away. And then that's it. You're out. All that time for nothing.

It's one of those games where I look at it and think "How in the world is this supposed to be any fun at all?"

Also, yeah, team-based games sometimes dont have any way for you to practice. The problem though: Even the ones that do... are useless. AI has yet to become anywhere near advanced enough to be whatsoever useful for that sort of thing in any game, so all of your "practice" ends up meaning nothing. One way or another... the only way to learn is to go out there and get stomped and yelled at alot.

Certainly beyond my limited patience.

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2018, 8:56 am

I play chess online frequently. While there is a chat feature, I rarely use it. Most opponents are named Guestxxx while xxx is probably their initials.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 9:14 am

I haven't played them but from what I heard Fortnite is faster paced.

But yeah it does look kind of like a grind and I hear players will 'Bunny Hop'. I had enough of that in HALO.

c0r

10 Mar 2018, 3:40 pm

Misery wrote:
I dont like doing it either.

Particularly team-based games. WAY too likely to get into a team full of total jerks and trolls. I remember back when I was trying out Dota and similar games, in each match I'd auto-mute *everyone* at the very start. They're THAT toxic.

And even fighting games, the one type of multiplayer I do these days... I still make sure voice chat is always off. But that doesnt stop multiplayer from being horribly irritating. Can take forever to find a match, and most players will use whatever is considered the "correct" strategy with any given character. That community is like that: You either copy every bloody thing that "good" players do, or you must be a scrub. I will say though, it is SO freaking satisfying to crush that type of player with my generally abnormal playstyle (I dont copy anything, I just do whatever I figured out on my own, because screw it. I dont look at things like frame data either, because it's boring and screw that too).

And honestly it just got boring after awhile. These days I'll play fighters with friends, but... eh. I'm more into other genres these days. Which arent multiplayer.

What fighting games do you play? I play tekken tag 2 and nobody really talks.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 4:08 pm

c0r wrote:

Arc's games, as a rule. Blazblue, Persona, the recent DBZ. And any game similar to those.

I do completely avoid anything made by Capcom though.

Yokokurama

10 Mar 2018, 5:20 pm

I want to get into playing Smash Brothers but it seems like you have to know someone or be very good to play at tourneys.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 8:55 pm

Misery wrote:
c0r wrote:

Arc's games, as a rule. Blazblue, Persona, the recent DBZ. And any game similar to those.

I've been playing Dragon Ball FighterZ offline just for fun casually and enjoyed all their Story Mode content.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2018, 1:24 am

Yokokurama wrote:
I want to get into playing Smash Brothers but it seems like you have to know someone or be very good to play at tourneys.

Hmm, it depends.

Simplest recommendation: Stay away from Melee. Aside from being terribly balanced (there's a reason the "Fox Only" meme appeared) it's the one that is more like Arc's older games in terms of the difficulty of input and related things, and the sheer amount of time/effort it'd take to Git Gud. Not to mention a large variety of other issues.

Probably stay away from Brawl too. It wasnt a bad game, but Nintendo kinda screwed it up in a few ways, so the community just didnt get along with it. It's also bizarrely slow.

Smash on the Wii U or 3DS, whichever, is the way to go. It's got a huge cast, it's very well balanced, and the pacing of the game is just right. Nintendo did an excellent job with it. It's also rather accessible, and the single-player stuff can get *very* intense at times (and there's alot of it) so it's one of the very, very few fighting games where the singleplayer aspect will not only last you a long time, but genuinely go quite a way towards helping you to really improve your skill. And your skill level doesnt have to be totally ridiculous to take part in tournaments. But you're still going to need practice, of course.

Honestly just talking about it has me wanting to play it again. It's been awhile.

It's actually the one fighting game I DID play online. There was no voice chat to worry about and finding a match typically took like 5 seconds since the game is so popular.

Might be a good time to pick it up again, come to think of it, now that the new Smash is finally on it's way. I cant wait for that.

c0r

12 Mar 2018, 9:27 am

Misery wrote:
c0r wrote:

That needs to change, re biohazard was incredible.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 10:03 am

While I'm mostly a soloist type of player myself, I do enjoy the occasional online deathmatch session with people in other parts of the world, especially in Doom (both old and new). I don't take it upon myself to talk to anyone, though, and I'll usually mute everyone as well. That way, I won't have to put up with any potential obnoxious complainers.