Anyone here not like playing with online strangers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 10:03 am

While I'm mostly a soloist type of player myself, I do enjoy the occasional online deathmatch session with people in other parts of the world, especially in Doom (both old and new). I don't take it upon myself to talk to anyone, though, and I'll usually mute everyone as well. That way, I won't have to put up with any potential obnoxious complainers.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 12:43 pm

c0r wrote:
Misery wrote:
c0r wrote:
What fighting games do you play? I play tekken tag 2 and nobody really talks.

Arc's games, as a rule. Blazblue, Persona, the recent DBZ. And any game similar to those.

I do completely avoid anything made by Capcom though.

That needs to change, re biohazard was incredible.

I never liked that series, honestly. I get why many people do, but... yeah, I never got along with it.

The controls in the old ones were *horrible*. Later ones were filled with cutscenes that I didnt want to bother with (really not a fan of story-focused games, when they're done in the typical "characters never shut up" way that is traditional these days). And as horror games, they just never did anything for me. Something that always bugs me with "survival horror" games is that, sure, you've got all of these supposedly scary things coming at you.... but then you're given shotguns and rocket launchers to blow them to the moon. Scary things become a hell of alot less scary when you can just blast their faces off.

Granted the most recent game seems to go a bit away from that, but I wouldnt have the patience for it.

To me, good horror games are the sort that tend to give a sense of helplessness or things like that. Like, the FNAF series... whatever anyone may think of it, I liked it alot, as it completely went in the opposite direction from the usual sort. Freddy and his pals were simply too strong to be dealt with, so you're completely helpless in the face of the threat they represent. All you can do is hold out against their constant assaults until time runs out. Or there were games like Eternal Darkness (back on the Gamecube) where it constantly used alot of illusions and psychological tricks to scare and confuse the player.

Or my personal favorite, Crypt Worlds. Which didnt bother with jump scares or horrible monsters, but just kept everything really.... unsettling. There was just this vague sense of "everything is wrong" while going through it's surreal worlds. And alot of the stuff that various NPCs would say was just all sorts of disturbing.

Though there are horror games of that sort that I still dont bother with, if they have way too much long-winded narration (like Amnesia... I tried that one but holy hell did it get dull fast).

Eh, I could rant about horror games for quite awhile, I imagine. I love the genre in theory but it's rare that I find good ones.

c0r
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2018, 8:26 pm

Did you like those alien games? I played the first one and the atmosphere and setting was cool I didnt actually play it enough to judge it though.

Play Outlast

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 7:19 am

Alien games? I dont know which ones you're talking about exactly.

Outlast I havent personally played, I did watch a whole run-through of it though. It was a little predictable at many points but it was still entertaining enough I suppose.

c0r

13 Mar 2018, 8:05 pm

Misery wrote:
Alien games? I dont know which ones you're talking about exactly.

Outlast I havent personally played, I did watch a whole run-through of it though. It was a little predictable at many points but it was still entertaining enough I suppose.

theirs an alien game like the sega developed game as a tie in to the movie where you can only hide from the alien you cant kill it. You can slow it down or hide but not kill it. The atmosphere of being on an abandoned space station is cool too.

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2018, 6:43 pm

I love playing with online strangers. Actually, playing CSGO multiplayer with online strangers cured my social anxiety

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 1:42 pm

I play MMOs but I rarely group. Once in a blue moon if I get a group invite I might join in but most of the time I decline. I don't like feeling like I have to stay with the group if I decide to go off and do my own thing.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Omokage

09 Sep 2018, 5:29 pm

I like to play some online games with strangers and I also like to play alone, but most of the time I watch gameplays.

I played MMORPGs in the past but now I don't play anymore because I have no time because of college. Of course playing the game was the main point, but I also liked online gaming because I made some friends, but along with it came demeaning comments sometimes. I might wonder if I'm not too good at it, but most of the time I play roles that are not too demanding.

Now, I play games alone mostly. I like indie games a lot and games that focus on character and story development.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2018, 6:54 pm

I've always played singleplayer games. When I play a video game I like to immerse myself in the story and the game's world and playing online with people really ruins that for me because I always feel rushed to beat the game.

And I hate the fact that so many game franchises are becoming online games. I don't enjoy games that force you to feel like you have to play online.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2018, 4:48 pm

I am.

I used to play chess a bit online, didn't like it... virtual gaming isn't as good as a real board.

I'm not a high level player at all, like an 1500 would be a rough estimation, sitting in front of a real person while maybe having a conversation, moving real pieces on a real board... that's the whole purpose of the game.

I suppose people who play poker would say something similar.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 11:31 am

Everyone in an online game is a stranger for me, so I don't like playing with anyone online. I've heard too many horror stories about other players sending trolling you horribly if you're a newbie or sending you death and rape threats if they know you're a female player. I just want to do things my way at my own pace and actually have fun without having to interact with total strangers who use their hidden identity as an excuse to be horrible.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 11:46 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Everyone in an online game is a stranger for me, so I don't like playing with anyone online. I've heard too many horror stories about other players sending trolling you horribly if you're a newbie or sending you death and rape threats if they know you're a female player. I just want to do things my way at my own pace and actually have fun without having to interact with total strangers who use their hidden identity as an excuse to be horrible.

Yeah the whole gaming community itself is sexist and they treat girl gamers like ****. I mean look at the female characters themselves. Nobody really cares about them unless they have a perfect body. Only the male heroes and male villains get any real respect from gamers.

I feel like things were different in the 1990's when we had more strong female heroines in games like Lara Croft and Jill Valentine who looked good while kicking butt and gamers actually liked them as characters (and not just because they were "hot").

And if you guys don't believe me about the gaming community being sexist trying looking up the scandal regarding the game "Dead Island" with the character Purna.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 9:57 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

The sad thing is, normally with a statement that sounds kinda like what you said here, I'd often say something like "Nah, it's not really quite like that, it's not as bad as it sounds, because of this and this over here and blah blah blah".

But in this case? No. It's absolutely as bad as you've heard it to be. It's regardless of gender though. Gender may determine which TYPE of harassment you get, but you'll get the harassment one way or another in the end. No matter what, bullies will always find excuses to continue being bullies. As will jerks and trolls and whatnot.

Really, I dont know how people play competitive games on a regular basis these days.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 10:16 pm

Misery wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

The sad thing is, normally with a statement that sounds kinda like what you said here, I'd often say something like "Nah, it's not really quite like that, it's not as bad as it sounds, because of this and this over here and blah blah blah".

But in this case? No. It's absolutely as bad as you've heard it to be. It's regardless of gender though. Gender may determine which TYPE of harassment you get, but you'll get the harassment one way or another in the end. No matter what, bullies will always find excuses to continue being bullies. As will jerks and trolls and whatnot.

Really, I dont know how people play competitive games on a regular basis these days.

Maybe it's because the majority of people who play video games are young and we all know how kids tend to be cruel with each other.

Most of the people my age have pretty much quit playing video games and everytime I visit any kind of gaming forum or website it's always a bunch of teens and kids trying to out-troll and flame each other.

But I still stand by what I said about sexism being rampant in the gaming world.

MarryKate
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2018, 9:09 am

I play wizard 101 with a bunch of strangers I usually go to the realm with barely any players because people will troll the heck out of you in that game

There are some nice players though and people will help me out in battle and let me ride their mount :D

Wish there were more nice players not so many trolls

Most people in w101 are like my age they grew up with the game and then there’s some kids in the mixture too

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 12:20 am

I mostly play by myself. Rarely, I play with my brother or a childhood friend of mine. Sometimes I will play co-op and I always feel bad when people send friend requests because I don't accept them. Rarely play PVP, I use to play a lot more PVP when I was younger. I use to be more of a killer gamer type, but now that I am older I am more of an explorer and achiever gamer types.