Does it make me autistic to enjoy Israeli rock?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2018, 12:35 pm

So I have an on and off obsession with Jewish people. Now that I have Spotify I decided to just listen to some music in Hebrew as an outlet for that obsession. I eventually got into Israeli rock. Which is weird because I’m not normally into rock. This makes me feel so autistic. Why is it so rare for me to just enjoy regular rock in English like a normal person?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 12:42 am

Balbituate wrote:
So I have an on and off obsession with Jewish people. Now that I have Spotify I decided to just listen to some music in Hebrew as an outlet for that obsession. I eventually got into Israeli rock. Which is weird because I’m not normally into rock. This makes me feel so autistic. Why is it so rare for me to just enjoy regular rock in English like a normal person?

What makes Israeli rock appealing compared to rock from other countries?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 12:44 am

NOT AT ALL!! !! !

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2018, 12:56 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Balbituate wrote:

I just feel like listening to Hebrew. I also think it goes well with rock music compared to English or other languages.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 1:07 am

Balbituate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Balbituate wrote:

I just feel like listening to Hebrew. I also think it goes well with rock music compared to English or other languages.

I believe this answers your initial question, at least somewhat. Rock doesn't appeal to you, but hearing Hebrew does. At least that's how things appear from here. This doesn't mean you're autistic though, the deep interest might just be a deep interest, it doesn't indicate autism and without additional traits associated with autism being present one would conclude you're unlikely to have autism. If you have many traits associated with it an autism diagnosis seems more likely.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2018, 1:19 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Balbituate wrote:

I believe this answers your initial question, at least somewhat. Rock doesn't appeal to you, but hearing Hebrew does. At least that's how things appear from here. This doesn't mean you're autistic though, the deep interest might just be a deep interest, it doesn't indicate autism and without additional traits associated with autism being present one would conclude you're unlikely to have autism. If you have many traits associated with it an autism diagnosis seems more likely.

I’ve been labeled autistic before. Just wondering if listening to Israeli rock would make me look autistic to other people. I also like danish rock and occasionally enjoy rock in English. Just enjoy Israeli rock more consistently.

Last edited by Balbituate on 09 Mar 2018, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 1:20 am

i agree that the rough sounds of hebrew go well with some forms of rock. the girl in my photo above is inbal perlmuter, front of the 90s israeli band "the witches" until her untimely death at 26 from an automobile accident....(bless her heart)

they're my favorite israeli group, but i enjoy a lot of the stuff from the "avoda ivrit" collections as well. inbal was a special interest of mine for some time and was one of my main motivations behind learning hebrew.

but i wouldn't say that merely enjoying israeli rock makes you autistic. interests are just interests, there's more to it than that. as for other people, it may be a curiosity...not a lot of people in the west can say they like israeli rock in particular but i doubt "autism" is the first thing they'd think of.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2018, 1:41 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i agree that the rough sounds of hebrew go well with some forms of rock. the girl in my photo above is inbal perlmuter, front of the 90s israeli band "the witches" until her untimely death at 26 from an automobile accident....(bless her heart)

they're my favorite israeli group, but i enjoy a lot of the stuff from the "avoda ivrit" collections as well. inbal was a special interest of mine for some time and was one of my main motivations behind learning hebrew.

but i wouldn't say that merely enjoying israeli rock makes you autistic. interests are just interests, there's more to it than that. as for other people, it may be a curiosity...not a lot of people in the west can say they like israeli rock in particular but i doubt "autism" is the first thing they'd think of.

How did you get into them? I got into Israeli rock because like I said before I got obsessed with Jewish stuff. So I wanted to listen to music in Hebrew. So I didn’t really find it organically. I’m thinking of learning some Hebrew, but I think I’d be better if I can get familiar with the language through music and movies. I did get into Nordic music more organically. Mainly because I noticed my favorite bands seemed to be Nordic. Eventually I learned some nordic languages. The isreali bands I’m into strangely remind me of my favorite Nordic bands. Maybe being into Israeli rock is for the best. I’m Hispanic and I feel weird liking Nordic music. If I like Nordic, Israeli and music from other cultures I feel less weird. I’ll look less like I want to be white and more like I explore other cultures.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 5:05 pm

Balbituate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Balbituate wrote:

I’ve been labeled autistic before. Just wondering if listening to Israeli rock would make me look autistic to other people. I also like danish rock and occasionally enjoy rock in English. Just enjoy Israeli rock more consistently.

With that additional information it does sound like your 'special interest' is relevant and that it is consistent with typical autistic behaviour.

I don't listen to much rock, and most crust punk and metal it hardly matters what language it's in due to harsh vocals. :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 6:33 pm

Foreign, harsh accents (like German) go well with folk music from the British Isles.

I would listen to the videos provided, but another time.

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2018, 10:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Balbituate wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Balbituate wrote:

With that additional information it does sound like your 'special interest' is relevant and that it is consistent with typical autistic behaviour.

I don't listen to much rock, and most crust punk and metal it hardly matters what language it's in due to harsh vocals. :lol:

I wonder if it will look autistic to people if they know I listen to Israeli rock.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 10:33 pm

Balbituate wrote:
I wonder if it will look autistic to people if they know I listen to Israeli rock.

You might need to explain your motives for them to reach that conclusion. Understanding others ways of thinking isn't exactly a strength for folks with ASD.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2018, 10:49 pm

First off...

You ARE diagnosed as autistic. So why do you wanna conceal the truth (that's you're autistic)?

Second:
I was into Ofra Haza . Partly because her music is an interesting blend of western pop and Yemeni Arab-Jewish folk music. But also because she was an exotic dish to look at. But a young lady friend (both of us are Gentile White white bread Americans) whom I introduced her music to also quickly became a devoted fan (and with out the sex appeal motive I had). So no...I don't think that liking Israeli pop music is a symptom of autism, even if you are a Gentile.

Balbituate
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2018, 11:40 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
First off...

You ARE diagnosed as autistic. So why do you wanna conceal the truth (that's you're autistic)?

Second:
I was into Ofra Haza . Partly because her music is an interesting blend of western pop and Yemeni Arab-Jewish folk music. But also because she was an exotic dish to look at. But a young lady friend (both of us are Gentile White white bread Americans) whom I introduced her music to also quickly became a devoted fan (and with out the sex appeal motive I had). So no...I don't think that liking Israeli pop music is a symptom of autism, even if you are a Gentile.

1. I just don’t appreciate my personality being labeled as autistic.

2. The Israeli music I listen to doesn’t tend to be middle eastern style. I do like the singer Riff Cohen who has that Yemeni/middle eastern style. Maybe I’ll seem autistic for just wanting to listen to music in Hebrew.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 1:22 am

Balbituate wrote:
How did you get into them? I got into Israeli rock because like I said before I got obsessed with Jewish stuff. So I wanted to listen to music in Hebrew. So I didn’t really find it organically. I’m thinking of learning some Hebrew, but I think I’d be better if I can get familiar with the language through music and movies. I did get into Nordic music more organically. Mainly because I noticed my favorite bands seemed to be Nordic. Eventually I learned some nordic languages. The isreali bands I’m into strangely remind me of my favorite Nordic bands. Maybe being into Israeli rock is for the best. I’m Hispanic and I feel weird liking Nordic music. If I like Nordic, Israeli and music from other cultures I feel less weird. I’ll look less like I want to be white and more like I explore other cultures.

how do you mean, when you say you found an artist "organically"?

i discovered inbal (and hebrew music in general, really), while listening to some icelandic music on youtube. i saw the unique, pixellated red and white thumbnail for her posthumous "haklatot aharonot" album and decided to take a listen. i was expecting something different than what i got, which was rather upbeat but some of the the other pieces on the album more suited my expectations. i guess i expected something more experimental or strange, considering the odd language and album cover (i had no familiarity with hebrew at this time).

múm, from iceland is what i was listening to, i guess that counts as a nordic band? their vocals and music are very soft though, they have an electronic "glitch" sound to them.

i'm hispanic too and have no qualms with these groups :D

Balbituate wrote:
1. I just don’t appreciate my personality being labeled as autistic.

me neither....

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2018, 1:23 am

ofra haza is great too.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.