Page 8 of 11 [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 12:27 pm

Macadamia nuts are popular and often associated with Hawaii or Hawaiian culture, but they are originally from Australia.

But then again, Florida and California are famous for their oranges, and oranges aren't originally from the US, either.

Also the color orange was named after the fruit. So oranges are not called oranges because they're orange, the color orange got its name from oranges. :)

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 12:31 pm

George Washington Carver did not invent nut butter as an original invention. In fact, most of his peanut and sweet potato inventions were unoriginal and or to unworkable to ever be widely used.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 11:03 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Macadamia nuts are popular and often associated with Hawaii or Hawaiian culture, but they are originally from Australia.

But then again, Florida and California are famous for their oranges, and oranges aren't originally from the US, either.

Also the color orange was named after the fruit. So oranges are not called oranges because they're orange, the color orange got its name from oranges. :)

The English word for the color orange before "orange" came along was "yellow-red".

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Mar 2018, 2:12 am

Donald Trump is president

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 2:21 am

and he fancies himself an amuuurican Putin.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 12:45 am

Martin Luther King Jr. and Anne Frank were born the same year.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 12:51 am

Strawberries contain less sugar than lemons.

But lemons must contain a lot more acid.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 12:56 am

Strawberries aren't berries. The strawberry is an aggregate accessory fruit.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 2:46 am

eating lemons lowers your Ph. level in your body.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 3:04 am

The fastest sperm dies as it pierces the first membrane of ovum, then the sperm behind it can get through to the egg and fuse. We are a world of runner-uppers.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 9:36 am

Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal, French player Richard Gasquet and Russian born Uzbekistan player Denis Istomin were all born the same year, 1986. Rafa was born first (June 3), Gasquet (June 18) and Istomin (September 7).

Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic were born one week apart in 1987. Andy is a week older, born May 15 and Novak on May 22. Farrukh Dustov, a teammate of Istomin's, was born the same day as Djokovic, but a year earlier, sharing his birth year with Istomin, Nadal and Gasquet.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 12:31 pm

Chronos wrote:
Strawberries aren't berries. The strawberry is an aggregate accessory fruit.

Under the botanist definition of a berry, watermelons would qualify. So would cucumbers.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Last edited by RainbowUnion on 29 Mar 2018, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 12:51 pm

Chronos wrote:
Martin Luther King Jr. and Anne Frank were born the same year.

Newton was born the year Gallileo died.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 3:46 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
In this thread, we talk about facts that "feel wrong" but are actually true.

Some parts of the South American Pacific coast are further east than New York City. Seriously. Look at a map of the world if you don't believe me.

It is well possible that it feels wrong to you because you have in memory the globe viewed with its axial tilt.

Compared to a map (north to south line presented vertically), the axial tilt displaces the north 23° "to the right" and south 23° "to the left"

Try here (check & uncheck "show axial tilt"):
https://www.echalk.co.uk/Science/physic ... Earth.html

Last edited by LaetiBlabla on 29 Mar 2018, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2018, 4:19 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
In this thread, we talk about facts that "feel wrong" but are actually true.

Some parts of the South American Pacific coast are further east than New York City. Seriously. Look at a map of the world if you don't believe me.

It is well possible that it feels wrong to you because you have in memory the globe viewed with its axial tilt.

Compared to a map (noth to south line presented vertically), the axial tilt displaces the north 23° "to the right" and south 23° "to the left"

Try here (check & uncheck "show axial tilt"):
https://www.echalk.co.uk/Science/physic ... Earth.html

I know what he means. Whats salient in most folks minds is that South American is ...south...of North America. The fact that it also east of north America is secondary. North Americans have a mental pic of the map with Mexico and central America dropping straight down, like a wet nylon stocking on a shower curtain rod, to south America. And in some highly stylized maps its depicted that way (like in corporate logos). Kinda like how Europeans think that the USA is just two regions: New York City, and the wild west. Once you leave the boroughs of New York...there you are! In Monument Valley (with John Wayne being directed by John Ford!).

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2018, 1:12 am

The faster you go, the slower times goes to a stationary observer.

As you approach the speed of light, time approaches a standstill.

To Cleopatra VII the Great Pyramid of Giza was ancient. It was built 2491 years before her birth.