Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 10:19 pm

What is your opinion on the Hatsune Miku: Project Diva games? I love to play them but feel like I'd be a laughingstock to more hardcore gamers if they found out.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 6:58 am

I love music rhythm games and I love Japanese ones especially. I like eccentric skill based games like the Osu games and its variants, and I bought an Xbox One/360 purely to play Dance Central and Child of Eden. However I have never played a Miku game. Though the visuals are appealing, I really don't like the highly synthetic vocals .

However, I've been thinking of trying the new Hatsune Miku VR game that just came out on Steam. Though it will be a tall order for it to be better than Airtone. It's getting good reviews but the footage I've seen of it looks rather pedestrian.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2018, 8:18 pm

Believe me, it doesnt matter what "hardcore" gamers think.

If someone is going to be an ass towards you purely because you play some specific game they dont like, then their opinion isnt worth a bloody thing anyway.

Besides; most of them arent exactly hardcore to begin with. Yeah you get a few that'll play Dark Souls (though frankly that game isnt THAT hard, it's just that it's hard compared to alot of very easy games) but for the most part, braindead easy games are the norm. They're often hardcore in their own fantasy world only.

On a side note: dont be too quick to trust reviews on Steam. Trust the footage that you can find and your own perception of it instead. Steam's reviews are... not exactly very reliable, to put it mildly.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 6:32 am

Misery wrote:
On a side note: dont be too quick to trust reviews on Steam. Trust the footage that you can find and your own perception of it instead. Steam's reviews are... not exactly very reliable, to put it mildly.

This makes sense, but it's also really difficult for me to gauge how good a VR game is from video footage as most look awful even if they are great. As much as I love the aforementioned music rhythm game Airtone the available trailer for it looks boring as hell. It's the same impression I get from the Hatsune Miku game though.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 3:26 pm

I think the Hatsune Miku: project diva games are pretty good! If any hardcore gamer gives you crap about them, just ignore them. I liked the games, I like that you get to change the outfits, I like music even if it isn't a genre I really listen to, and rhythm games are pretty fun! I think they are good games!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 4:20 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
I think the Hatsune Miku: project diva games are pretty good! If any hardcore gamer gives you crap about them, just ignore them. I liked the games, I like that you get to change the outfits, I like music even if it isn't a genre I really listen to, and rhythm games are pretty fun! I think they are good games!

I listen to Vocaloid almost (if not) every day. My favorite music videos from the games are "Cat Food", "Time Machine","Interviewer", "What Do You Mean?" and "Change Me". What are your favorites? "Summer Idol" is also a really fun song.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 4:53 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Misery wrote:

This makes sense, but it's also really difficult for me to gauge how good a VR game is from video footage as most look awful even if they are great. As much as I love the aforementioned music rhythm game Airtone the available trailer for it looks boring as hell. It's the same impression I get from the Hatsune Miku game though.

That brings up another point actually: Never trust trailers. Ever.

I dont care how good they are, or how bad they are: Chances are, they dont accurately represent the game. Trailers are purely made to catch attention; they have no other function. They are *not* meant to truly show what the game is like. If they're made well, they can make a game seem MUCH better than it is. If they're made badly, they can take something that's awesome and fun and make you wonder "why would I buy this?"

Honestly I barely even look at trailers. I look at screenshots, the store description page, and maybe some gameplay videos on Youtube (or, if anyone I know has reviewed it, I'll read those reviews as I know I can trust them). And there are certain specific reviewers that you might find who are always trustworthy too.

Even for VR games, it's still possible for them to look good in videos... it just depends on who is making the videos. As well as what they do in the video. If you've got someone that just plain isnt good at keeping viewers engaged, then it's definitely going to look bad. Same with someone who is constantly confused. That's the tough part of the Youtube aspect, is just finding people that are going to be good at showing off the games.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 6:15 pm

VR games are rather niche, as are music rhythm games, especially Asian ones in the western market. It's not unusual for the only available footage for such niche titles to be officially released promotional material.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 8:17 pm

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
VR games are rather niche, as are music rhythm games, especially Asian ones in the western market. It's not unusual for the only available footage for such niche titles to be officially released promotional material.

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJaDNBAxWu8

Even with very, very niche games (many games I play are considered as such) it's extremely rare to NOT find a number of videos of the game beyond a trailer. I found quite a few others beyond that one (of the PC version, not the PS4 one).

That being said... this looks to me alot like the sort of game that's more about spectacle than anything else. Like "here's this cute/popular anime girl IN VR OMG so we dont really need to put much effort into any other aspect". Pretty common with this sort. I'm thinking you're not going to get anything beyond the extremely basic-looking arm waving that's surely going on with this one. It reminds me of Audioshield, except this doesnt look nearly as fun.

This also honestly doesnt look like they entirely thought it out very well. The positions of the notes look like they're going to have you stretching your arms quite a bit. Good way to strain something.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 8:19 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

I listen to Vocaloid almost (if not) every day. My favorite music videos from the games are "Cat Food", "Time Machine","Interviewer", "What Do You Mean?" and "Change Me". What are your favorites? "Summer Idol" is also a really fun song.

I was never able to watch the videos because I be having to push the buttons during the song, I forgot, was there a way to just watch them? I do have favorite songs which are "Clover Club"
"Wintry Winds", "Continuing Dream" and "Paradichlorobenzene" whew...that's a long title! Do you have any favorite songs?

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 10:09 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:

I was never able to watch the videos because I be having to push the buttons during the song, I forgot, was there a way to just watch them? I do have favorite songs which are "Clover Club"
"Wintry Winds", "Continuing Dream" and "Paradichlorobenzene" whew...that's a long title! Do you have any favorite songs?

I have lots of favorite Vocaloid songs! "Rolling Girl", "Soundless Voice", "Aikotoba", "Electric Angel", "Knife", "Clover Club", "Stay With Me", "Melancholic", "No Logic", "Luka Luka Night Fever" and my favorite Vocaloid song ever, "World's End Umbrella". I also love, "Snowman" and "Unhappy Refrain" :D

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 4:14 am

I picked up the Hatsune Miku VR game today and was disappointed. Refunded it before half an hour playtime. It's easily the worst music rhythm game I've ever played. No finesse required and the gameplay isn't in sync with the music. Plus there's barely any content.