Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 12:49 am

I do this too. It is positive to do that. Try to think it positively to prevent anxiety:

You are learning. Tell yourself how you should have reacted, spoken, how you will do next time.
And forgive yourself for this time.
Relativize, we tend to make it bigger than it is, really.
Rather think what you could say or do that could balance the suspected negative consequences.

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2018, 1:45 am

Definitely do, mostly every time.

I try to focus on extracting as much good as I can out of the moment, rather than trying to remember what I've scripted in the past, or stressing over what they may think of what I say. Being present and shifting attention towards enjoying myself usually helps. Sometimes being present and seeking satisfaction means removing yourself from the conversation, and that can be OK.

If you're asking honest questions or discussing topics you like, you will automatically seem more interesting and less awkward to people. If your words are scripted or forced, it won't seem fun to anyone. I think sometimes I forget that interaction /can/ be moderately enjoyable, and I get super focused on "perfecting" a conversation that was failed from the start. Everyone doesn't get along with everyone - most people can sense who they don't mesh with and there's no hard feelings as they drift to someone else, but i think aspies can't generally tell the difference because we're sort of just awkward with everyone. Lol :( :? :roll: