Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 1:10 pm

Does anyone like to either do pen and paper roleplay such as D&D or Pathfinder or does forum based roleplaying (writing)?

I personally do both, but I do forum roleplaying more.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 11:45 am

I like D&D.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2018, 8:02 pm

Yep, I'm currently running Coriolis on Roll20, though the game is on hiatus at the moment. I roleplayed through most of high school, lost most of my group but still continued through college, then just didn't have time plus lost my last group member. I just started again with a new group of friends (scattered across the East coast, sadly) a few months ago. I'd love to actually play one day: a near-eidetic memory has made me de facto GM my entire roleplaying career; I've only actually played two sessions, both by a GM who probably should have just been a storyteller for all the narrative freedom he gave his players. :lol:

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 1:16 am

I've played online before, but it's not my favorite. Would love to start running again, but I think my main group of friends don't really want to hang out anymore. I also think they don't care for the fact that I'm running D&D B/X with house rules, and they can't rules lawyer it or min-max.

I have another group of friends who I might transition back into D&D B/X at some point, but currently we're halfway through an AD&D 2nd Edition campaign, and I have three more Ravenloft modules that I want to run them through.

I've enjoyed other games, but I don't have time to run them or learn all of the rules, and I don't really have the imagination required for some of the settings, so I've been trying to keep my focus on just one game.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2018, 8:47 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I've played online before, but it's not my favorite.

It's a lot more fun in person, for sure. I don't really have a choice, because my friends are 1,300 miles apart...

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 7:50 am

I think I would dislike it less if I didn't have so many problems with voice chatting. I always feel like I'm just talking to my computer, so I tend to go a bit more mute than I would otherwise. Also, poor sound quality isn't very good for my auditory processing disorder =) I use the text messaging for very important things that I don't want people to miss, but it's not very practical for -everything-.

There are some neat things you can do with Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds if you're into playing with miniatures, but it takes a lot more time to set up, especially when they upgrade the program, or if we switch games. I spent quite a while just working on my avatar ¬_¬

I think I preferred Roll20, it had some really cool line of sight/fog of war lighting effects in it, which made dungeon exploring a lot more realistic. Also, we didn't have all of the rules automatically plugged in, so I could still roll real dice, and write on a real character sheet (the DM was cool with it). Fantasy Grounds has everything built into it, so you're forced to use their pseudo-random number generator, and the screen gets really cluttered with all of the different windows :roll:

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2018, 7:14 am

love d&d and pathfinder.

“Men passionately desire to live after death, but they often pass away without noticing the fact that the memory of a really good person always lives. It is impressed upon the next generation, and is transmitted again to the children. Is that not an immortality worth striving for? ”
― Pyotr Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist