Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2018, 6:02 am

What mmo's do u play?

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2018, 7:13 am

I'll put up the obvious answer after a bit of context..

Starting out as a gamer in the early days, i would have irc as my main internet app, plus web pages loading over a few tens of seconds each. So, gaming was shooters like doom or strategy like dune2. Later, online gaming started to become a thing for me with games like diablo 2, but i still did most gaming on a lan with friands and housemates.

Turning the clock forward a bit, i started hearing about World of Wrcraft over a few years and instinctively stayed clear of it.

As hooked as I was on shooters / strategy, I figured I'd be a massive addict on MMO'S. After finally getting into WOW, that's pretty much the way it turned out.

Besides the dopamine-drip aspects of the game, I especially clicked with the internet-mediated social aspects.

My skills were valued, I was valued, and I never had to look anyone in the eye, I could just read a chat log or perhaps speak up on Ventrilo. At times I was guild master, raid leader and main tank in a not-so-serious guild who still managed to get in and down some bosses.

I kept my addiction for the first few years of my married life before realising i needed to make a choice and put family first.. so i quit cold turkey.

All this was while undiagnosed, viewing myself as a quirky guy but an essentially normal one with no known excuse for my various shortcomings / challenges.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 10:07 am

Used to play them alot myself. Definitely had my favorites.... Everquest, City of Heroes, Anarchy Online...

And then WoW happened. Came along and sorta corrupted the genre. There used to be alot of rather creative MMOs. After WoW, well, WoW-style MMOs were all anyone wanted to make. It just became the same bloody thing over and over again.

After that, I lost interest. And to this day, the genre remains corrupted, from everything I've seen. So I havent gone back to it.

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2018, 6:19 pm

Misery wrote:
And to this day, the genre remains corrupted, from everything I've seen. So I havent gone back to it.

True, that.

A housemate was playing some comics / superheroes thing, or some Jedi thing, and all I could say, over and over again, was "it's just like WoW!"

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 6:56 pm

I'd like to get into some sort of MMO again at some point, but not the type that dominates the genre presently. I'm not really looking for the sort of game that requires commitment or large amounts of time.

I used to love games like WoW and FFXIV, but now I don't have the time required to devote to them, and then end up resenting when they have mechanics to keep me playing. Things like daily/weekly quotas of earnable currency etc.

If something like Elite: Dangerous had the player built gameplay like Eve: Online, I could see myself getting into that.

Or an action based MMORPG. Like Dark Souls style combat. So much of the time MMOs have pretty diluted mechanics from regular games, it'd be good to see less tab target style combat and something requiring finesse rather than min maxing using spreadsheets.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 7:45 pm

I've never been able to get into MMOs, though I've always wanted to. I could never afford them, and I don't care much for grinding, min-maxing, or hoarding.

I really like MUD2, though it's hardly MMO anymore since the servers have been quite empty for years. I like Phantasy Star Online a lot also, though for the most part it limits you to four players at a time, and we mostly played it offline.

I also like goofing around in Meridian 59, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, and I die often.

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2018, 9:47 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I really like MUD2, though it's hardly MMO anymore since the servers have been quite empty for years.

I remember the MUDs. Right back in the early days I was on a smaller one of those, a special-interest one.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 9:59 pm

Don't currently play but i have active accounts here and there.

The ones i have enjoyed are:
- Everquest 2
- Entropia Universe (Still got land deeds)
- Neocron / Neocron 2

Others i have played:
- Horizons: Empire of Istaria
- Star Wars Galaxies
- Eve Online
- Whispers in Akarra (2D MMO that was actually fun to play, could even download the server + editors)
- World of Warcraft
- Elite Dangerous
- Anarchy Online
- The Secret World
(And some others i've forgotten)

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 1:05 am

TimS1980 wrote:
I remember the MUDs. Right back in the early days I was on a smaller one of those, a special-interest one.

My friends had some free MUDs that they played back in the late 90s (I couldn't tell you which ones), but I didn't really understand how they worked, everything just zipped around so fast. I preferred to play Infocom games, which gave you time to read and imagine your surroundings, to draw maps, and to think about things.

MUD2 plays a lot more like Zork than I was expecting, so I like that a lot, but I really can't figure out some of the puzzles, and I'm too afraid to get myself killed exploring the caves, and some of the stuff is locked up unless you have other players to help you get in. Now I get why people zip around so much, and it's also nice because I can squeeze in more game time in my 15 minute work breaks.

I played the first MUD for a bit, and that's kind of nice because the puzzles are a lot simpler, but I miss having color, and some of the convenience commands (like MAP and QUICKSCAN, which would also be really nice for Infocom), and I think they keep deleting my account because of inactivity =|

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 5:54 am

These i forgot:

- Elder Scrolls Online (Had fun levelling up, was fast @ lvl 37 in a lvl 50 zone, but they levelscaled everything)
- Star Trek Online (A bit boring on the endgame, had a fleet of ships and nothing to do. More fun than it was in the beginning though and it now has actual zones in planets)
- The Hunter, though i'd play the offline version instead, cheaper and more updated.

Arkena
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2018, 8:22 am

I have to agree that wow's dominance of the market has stiffled the diversity of the genre. Its dictated the model of sucess and what works...this is an unfortunate thing and has negatively impacted mmo's creativity.

Monopolys are not good for the state of mmo's and thats exactly what we have.

Ive played quite a few mmo's a lot i just couldnt get into some i really enjoyed.

Notable mentions:

Lord of the rings online
Star wars the old republic
EVE
Secret world pre legends

With my new pc im looking forward to trying

Neverwinter
Tera
Planetside 2

I quite enjoy co op games as well on servers for upto 20 players like Empyrion.

I enjoy the social aspect of these games quite a lot.

Enigmatic oddity i know what u mean about mechanics that turn them into time sinks...

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 9:38 am

The only MMO I play at the moment is Guild Wars 2. I also played a tiny bit of the original Guild Wars on my brother's account back when he played it.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 12:51 pm

TimS1980 wrote:
Misery wrote:
And to this day, the genre remains corrupted, from everything I've seen. So I havent gone back to it.

True, that.

A housemate was playing some comics / superheroes thing, or some Jedi thing, and all I could say, over and over again, was "it's just like WoW!"

Well, the theme/setting isnt really what I meant. Dont care about that. Could be about overly excitable space chickens playing pinball for all I care.

What's corrupted is the gameplay. THAT is all the same. Whether it's fantasy or sci-fi or superhero or space pinball chickens.... they all play like WoW now (well, except for the ones from Korea, which have always done their own thing). Didnt used to be the case. Hell, even freaking Square went down that road, from everything I've seen of their recent one.

Same damn gameplay mechanics, same type of combat, and very often the same focus on "raid" bosses ("the REAL fun doesnt begin until level 60!!!11" uuuugh), and so on.... sigh... Each will tweak their game just enough to call it different, but buried under that is always more WoW.

To be fair though, even if they werent all interchangable I dont know if I'd be playing them anyway these days. Just... you know... the social aspect. I'm about as social as a brick. Even in City of Heroes I typically preferred to just go solo all the time, and when I think about it it's like.... why even bother, then?

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 7:32 pm

I'll dabble in World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV occasionally. I don't have the energy to play "hardcore" anymore, but I was a fan of both franchises growing up and it's fun to drop in sometimes for a month or two. I've thought about trying other MMOs, but the idea of having to relearn a lot of new systems, grind, coordinate with others, etc, is kind of a turn-off. MMOs can be very demanding games.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 8:08 pm

I was looking up some more Telnet servers (they have NetHack ones!) and I popped into some to check them out...there's a MUD called Aardwolf, holy cow, it was the middle of the night and I'm pretty sure it said they had almost 200 people online O_O Maybe I misread it??

It's really well-written too, and has a pretty nice interface. I might have to go back and check it out sometime.

Arkena
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2018, 8:44 am

Imo despite there being a monopoly out there in the mmorpg category there are plenty of other categories of mmo that are doing well...

Mmorts,mmofps, mmoba....

Due to marketing dominance of wow we have to search out other mmo's if we want variety because they dont have much of a marketing budget to reach us and get our attention:

I use sites like these :

https://www.mmobomb.com/games/

https://www.mmorpg.com/games-list/show/ ... Order/desc

How are you guys finding new mmo's?

You cant tell me games like : warframe, EVE,crossout,starfall,fortnight etc are like WOW lol