Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Mar 2018, 7:55 am

So I just applied for an emergency dispatcher (911 operator) with my county. I think that I'd be a good fit since we don't notice most rudeness and since I don't really feel emotions, unless they're extreme, I think it would be a good idea. I'm just nervous about the uncertain hours since it is shift work.

docfox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2018, 8:43 pm

Hi!

First off, congrats. I work on the other side of the radio (Ambulance/Heavy Rescue). Public safety is a great field to be in imo.

That said, make sure you establish what the actual job is. Many counties will use "Dispatcher" interchangably with call taking. You will be answering 911 calls one day and dispatching police, fire, or EMS the next day. It's not as static as many people say is what I'm told, which can be good or bad depending on your feelings about that.

Calltaking can definitely be stressful if you mind people being rude, but it's something that can be overcome.

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2018, 8:02 am

I appreciate the heads up, the details provided are rather scarce so I'm doing whatever I can to find out more. I'll certainly check to see if they differentiate between the two positions.

I was a telemarketer for 6 years and customer service for another 5, so I don't think rudeness will bother me :)