Did you watch Sesame Street when you were little?

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 9:30 pm

I watched Sesame street on our big box of a TV back in the 70s

"Can you tell me how to get...how to get to sesame street"

Big Bird, Snuffy and Mr Hooper will stay with me forever

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 12:10 am

Oh, yes. I got to see it when it was at its best during the late 70s and 80's. I also had books and stuffed animals of some of the characters from the show. It used to air on CBC in Canada on weekday mornings after Mr. Dressup.

But then they changed it to "Canadian Sesame Street", where they introduced a bunch of weird-looking Canadian Muppets, and then in the 90's it was "Sesame Park". I thought it was lame. But I could still see the American show on PBS. But then Elmo ended up ruining it. The Muppets have never been the same since Jim Henson died. :(

I think they now air the American Sesame Street on Treehouse TV in Canada, but I haven't watched it in forever. I only watch the classic sketches on YouTube.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 3:04 am

Jim Henson and the Children's Television workshop were revolutionary in being socially inclusive before it was fashionable on TV

The spirit of the 60s permeating the show cut through all the conservative BS of the time but was never political, instead everybody just knew each other on the street....I really wished I lived on a street like that when I was growing up in boring ultraconservative Perth, west Australia in the 1970s

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 9:32 am

Jason Kingsley, a young actor with Down syndrome, featured prominently in the early days of the show. Now they have Julia, a puppet with autism. I think they really took a step backwards. Why couldn't they have a real person with an ASD? The puppet sounds kind of weird to me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 9:59 am

Yep.....The Electric Company. and Zoom, too. They were at my age level.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 3:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Jim Henson and the Children's Television workshop were revolutionary in being socially inclusive before it was fashionable on TV

The spirit of the 60s permeating the show cut through all the conservative BS of the time but was never political, instead everybody just knew each other on the street....I really wished I lived on a street like that when I was growing up in boring ultraconservative Perth, west Australia in the 1970s

When I was a kid, I thought it was perfectly normal to know everyone who lived within 5 miles of me, their brands, and to be able to identify, by name and by sight, every one of their dogs.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2018, 4:35 pm

Yes! :D I still occasionally watch clips on YouTube. Roscoe Orman (Gordon) was so nice when I met him at a local charity's telethon when I was younger. I thought it was hilariously strange that my ex-girlfriend who grew up on a dairy farm never watched it or Mister Rogers (they just watched Saturday morning cartoons). Lastly, for the record, those BertStrips memes are ridiculously hilarious! :lol:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 4:51 pm

kraftiekortie,

I watched Zoom too!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 5:17 pm

I like today's Sesame Street better because of Julia. I have a thing for spectrumy characters as you've noticed over the years.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 7:08 pm

kokopelli wrote:
When I was a kid, I thought it was perfectly normal to know everyone who lived within 5 miles of me, their brands, and to be able to identify, by name and by sight, every one of their dogs.

I so miss that in my childhood. Nowadays nobody talks to their neighbors.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 7:21 pm

yes I watched Sesame Street in the late 60's early 70's when I was little I remember laughing at the chef falling down the stairs. :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 8:55 pm

yes I loved the short skits

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Apr 2018, 12:48 pm

I want to watch, Homicide Life On Sesame Street :arrow:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 4:07 pm

Yeah I remember watching it when I was little. But I actually mostly remember the part in every episode called Elmo's World. I don't remember the real show really. I remember having a DVD with just multiple Elmo's World. And it seems like I'm the youngest person here because everyone seems to remember the show during the early years.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:08 pm

Elmo is generational for kids in the 90s...For us in the 70s it was Grover and Kermit

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 8:21 pm

I remember a character named Rafael on Sesame Street. I had no way of knowing then that one of my favorite tennis players would have the same first name.