Is my hatred of Apple Irrational?
Yes 40%  40%  [ 21 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 52

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 6:08 pm

One would think since they’re now a $1T company, they have the means to make their products much more user friendly, and cheaper.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 9:02 pm

for those of us sans electrically conductive fingertips, they need to make hard buttons that guide the cursor over icons and such, IMHO that would make their tablets and iphones more user-friendly.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 9:56 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I've been boycotting apple since the early 90s, due to their rampant overpricing of their underwhelming product, to the point where only flush upper middle class people can afford them.

Well the middle class need some way to show people they're middle class, especially in countries were the middle class emerged very recently.

In China, people will openly treat you differently based on how rich they think you are so if you're seen with an iPhone X rather than a cheap Android you will be treated better.

I know a poor Chinese couple who bought an iPhone X to make people think they're richer than they are.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 9:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
for those of us sans electrically conductive fingertips, they need to make hard buttons that guide the cursor over icons and such, IMHO that would make their tablets and iphones more user-friendly.

And also include a trackball to move the curser accross the screen. The iPhone XI should look something like this

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:11 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I've been boycotting apple since the early 90s, due to their rampant overpricing of their underwhelming product, to the point where only flush upper middle class people can afford them.

Well the middle class need some way to show people they're middle class, especially in countries were the middle class emerged very recently. In China, people will openly treat you differently based on how rich they think you are so if you're seen with an iPhone X rather than a cheap Android you will be treated better. I know a poor Chinese couple who bought an iPhone X to make people think they're richer than they are.

I refuse to show any deference to rich folk. I wouldn't last long there.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Well the middle class need some way to show people they're middle class, especially in countries were the middle class emerged very recently. In China, people will openly treat you differently based on how rich they think you are so if you're seen with an iPhone X rather than a cheap Android you will be treated better. I know a poor Chinese couple who bought an iPhone X to make people think they're richer than they are.

It's funny how this communist county has acquired an ultra-capitalist culture.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:26 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It's funny how this communist county has acquired an ultra-capitalist culture.

social Darwinism sprouts up like a noxious weed wherever it is allowed.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2018, 11:23 pm

Yes; there's no reason to be so cynical about something that you have no intention of buying. I'm not religiously pro-Apple, in fact I'm not pro any big business, but if your sole complaint is that it's patronisingly user friendly and associated with adolescent white girls, I don't understand why you need to use such energy to hate it when you could be using that same energy to do something more creative.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 8:02 pm

I never liked Apple. The company and their marketing just rubs me wrong. Makes me cringe.

I stick with Windows and Android. It's not a money thing because I can easily afford Apple products. Not like they are that much more expensive. I built my current computer and it was slightly over 2200 euro in the end. Also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5'' and love it to bits. Rooted it and can do with it what I want.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 9:34 pm

I wish I could get a really fast Android tablet. For some reason nothing with the new 'super phone' motherboards is available with a big screen.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 6:11 am

Mythos wrote:
I'm not religiously pro-Apple, in fact I'm not pro any big business, but if your sole complaint is that it's patronisingly user friendly and associated with adolescent white girls
Not just white girls and not just adolescents. My 30 year old Asian girlfriend adores Apple.
Mythos wrote:
I don't understand why you need to use such energy to hate it when you could be using that same energy to do something more creative.
Like buying a Lenovo hinkpad! :D

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 6:25 am

LoneLoyalWolf wrote:
I never liked Apple. The company and their marketing just rubs me wrong. Makes me cringe.
I feel exactly the same way.
LoneLoyalWolf wrote:
I stick with Windows and Android. It's not a money thing because I can easily afford Apple products. Not like they are that much more expensive. I built my current computer and it was slightly over 2200 euro in the end. Also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5'' and love it to bits. Rooted it and can do with it what I want.
The Apple fanboys keep saying "you're just jealous because you can't afford an iPhone/iPad/Macbook but if you feel so inclined you can buy or build machines that are worth more than Apple devices. Take your €2,200 computer for example. You could easily buy a new Mac for less than €2,200 and yet Apple fanatics say people use PC because they can't afford a Mac.

On the other hand, while there are high end, costlier PCs and Android phones available, if someone buys a cheap one, more power to them. Even if they have a $200 cheapo low-end Android phone, Apple fanatics shouldn't say they bought it because they're poor. Maybe they had enough money for an iPhone X or a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 but they wanted to invest the other $800 rather than spend it.

Conspicuous consumption is not the path to wealth. People say having a thousand dollar phone proves they're rich. I think it proves they're a thousand dollars less rich then they were before they bought it. People who waste all of their money on status symbols like the iPhone X might think they're rich but they're not as rich as people who wisely invest their money.

Apple fanatics like to boast that Apple is the most profitable company. Why would I want to buy something from the most profitable company? That only means they have the most inflated margins. That only means they duped more people into paying big money for underpowered computers.

I actually wonder if the reason the iPhone X costs so much more than the iPhone 8 when it has similar capabilities is because Apple realised that almost doubling the price would make certain people want it more. The iPhone X might not be a very well designed phone but it is a very well designed status symbol.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2018, 2:02 pm

Buying a Lenovo probably would be more productive, yes. :)

akaRiley
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2018, 10:23 am

No, not at all! Apple is kind of a jerk, suing companies that repair their computers for them. They lost that lawsuit, by the way. :twisted:

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 5:31 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Well the middle class need some way to show people they're middle class, especially in countries were the middle class emerged very recently.

In China, people will openly treat you differently based on how rich they think you are so if you're seen with an iPhone X rather than a cheap Android you will be treated better.

I know a poor Chinese couple who bought an iPhone X to make people think they're richer than they are.

This is very true about Chinese culture. It's one reason that I find the notion that some American men hold that "Asian women are less materialistic than western women" absolutely silly and completely ignorant. In China, walking to work in the city is frowned upon because people might think you are too poor to own a car. It reminded me of American roma (gypsy) culture. In American roma culture, it is of the uttmost importance that if someone has a car, it be a nice one.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 5:33 am

that mindset makes me wanna vomit.