Is my hatred of Apple Irrational?
Yes 40%  40%  [ 21 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 52

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:11 am

Apple is a terrible monopoly but I don't fully support your reasoning.

Machines should be user-servicable. Good machines are built this way. Macbooks are a pretty weak excuse for laptops next to Thinkpads.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:17 am

Screw apple, I prefer android....I mean my boyfriend has an I-phone because his parents pay for his phone, but he constantly gets frustrated with it, and to even protect an apple device you need the most over-the-top protector cases I have ever seen. With most android devices a basic phone/tablet case works just fine. You don't need some 20 dollar + otter box protector. Its like the android devices are sturdier...I mean I bet if you did a test of throwing an Iphone without a case vs an android without a case on the floor the android phone would come out with less damage.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:22 am

I had a work iPhone a couple times. Luckily the second one was smashed before I got it, I loathed it so much I gave it away when my friend needed a phone & was relieved when he finally destroyed it.

Horrible company, Apple. They treat software people like ants.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:28 am

cberg wrote:

Machines should be user-servicable. Good machines are built this way. Macbooks are a pretty weak excuse for laptops next to Thinkpads.

In my opinion all those are weak compared to a laptop...I mean can you play League of Legends on a tablet? NO...I play league of legends so yeah why would I trade in my laptop for a tablet that I can't play it on. Plus relying on a laptop for a lot of my internet activity makes it easier to get away, like just close it and set it aside and then don't worry about the internet for however long. I am not one to get hooked on staring at my phone...I mean I am one of those weird people that carries around a smart-phone not to browse and check social media, but because it doubles as a music playing device. Granted sometimes to attempt to not look akward I will actually pretend to be looking at stuff on my phone, when I am really just looking at the screen and not actually doing anything on there. I mean the main use of my phone when I go out in pubic aside from taking or making calls or texts is listening to spotify.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:33 am

cberg wrote:
I had a work iPhone a couple times. Luckily the second one was smashed before I got it, I loathed it so much I gave it away when my friend needed a phone & was relieved when he finally destroyed it.

Well I mean I have to admit with some of the issues my boyfriend had mentioned about his I-phone, I don't want to touch one of those with a 10 foot pole. But than I think to myself 'I'm glad I have an android'....Also though can you transfer files from an apple phone to a windows computer easily? Or would you have to use an apple computer to do it easily?

Also apples wire-less headphones design freaking sucks. I mean is basically the regular i-phone headphone that simply does not have a cord. Seems like it would be a really easy thing to lose because of how easily it would fall out of your ear. You'd think they would design it with a better design to actually stay in the ear, but nope just a normal cheap looking hard plastic headphone the exact same shape as their corded headphones simply without the cord.

Because yeah a non wired headphone with the part that goes in your ear and a straight down stem with absolutely nothing to go around your ear or anything to hold it in place will work great? I mean when I first read the title of the article I thought it was cool...then I saw the image of the headphone and instantly thought, well that's stupid its designed so people will lose their headphones and have to buy an additional pair.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 29 Jul 2018, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:34 am

Filesystem support has been ironed out a bit but that may still require iTunes.

Oh the name is confusing, Thinkpads are old school laptops for the most part. Until Macbooks got a stranglehold on the industry they were pretty much the only machines on the space station.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:44 am

cberg wrote:
Filesystem support has been ironed out a bit but that may still require iTunes.

Oh the name is confusing, Thinkpads are old school laptops for the most part. Until Macbooks got a stranglehold on the industry they were pretty much the only machines on the space station.

Ahh alright, I thought you where talking about newer touch/screen tablet devices like those things that you can browse the internet on. I didn't know laptops were referred to as thinkpads that is why it was confusing, because the name sounds more similar to the tablet type devices.

But then you would need itunes to download apple files on your computer? Like you cant just send like pictures to your computer through blue-tooth with apple phones? I mean I just like with my android phone I can send files to my laptop with bluetooth and save them there...without any extra program like Itunes.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:53 am

It's just the one line from IBM & then Lenovo. I'll give some honorable mentions to non-Thinkpad Lenovos, the occasional really nice Dell, Asus, Fujitsu, Toshiba & plenty more but Thinkpads are the real yardstick.

There's no reason for tablets to be so far behind a good laptop in terms of functionality, Apple just shoved the whole industry in that direction & obscured the definition of 'computer' to exclude mobile goodies.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 3:13 am

Quote:
well engineered device

:lol: Do you read tech news? Macbooks sure have a nasty habit of exploding into flames.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2018, 10:01 pm

LilLoki wrote:
no, I also hate Apple, they have the worst operating system ever, until Java is better :mrgreen:

Care to elaborate?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 9:08 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
As someone who understand software and hardware, I am not a fan of Apple's proprietary nightmare. If there's a problem with my hardware I'd rather my own stupid self fix it as opposed to being forced to take it to an apple 'genius' for repairs.

It's funny how Apple have been trying to shut down 'unauthorised' repairers when in many cases they do a better job of repairing a failed device than the apple genius.

I don't see how people can call their products well engineered when they made a laptop that vents hot air directly onto the non-heat-resistant glue that holds the thing together.

Last edited by RetroGamer87 on 09 Aug 2018, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
All that said, the truth is computers in general are dumbing down the population. I was talking to my friend's nephew a few weeks back, he was on spring break from college where he's getting a degree in engineering. So I joked: "College, the good times, I miss practicing differential equations." He looked at me dumbfounded. So I probed a bit further, and he had no idea what a differential equation was, then he pulled out his smartphone and asked which symbol it was on his scientific calculator app. He also explained to me he doesn't need to know how to do one, or how it works, that's what they invented scientific calculators for...He graduates this year with his degree, when I heard that I wanted to cry.
If college is that dumbed down then even I might have a chance at graduating! :)

cberg wrote:

I love Thinkpads! I've already got two of them! :D

Sweetleaf wrote:
Screw apple, I prefer android....I mean my boyfriend has an I-phone because his parents pay for his phone, but he constantly gets frustrated with it, and to even protect an apple device you need the most over-the-top protector cases I have ever seen. With most android devices a basic phone/tablet case works just fine. You don't need some 20 dollar + otter box protector. Its like the android devices are sturdier...I mean I bet if you did a test of throwing an Iphone without a case vs an android without a case on the floor the android phone would come out with less damage.
Honestly I don't like Android much either. BlackBerry OS was awesome but it's not supported anymore. Windows Phone was pretty good as well but it's not supported anymore.

You're right about Android devices being sturdier. Recently my girlfriend dropped her iPhone without a case and shattered the screen. I've dropped my Android lots of times and I've never put it in a case. No part of it is broken.

They could make the iPhone thicker and sturdier and it would still be able to fit in your pocket but then they would no longer be trendy and thin. Form over function is Apple's mantra.

Eurythmic wrote:
My only criticism is that the power supply cable on the MacBook Pro is very poorly thought out. The cable is far too thin for the amount of current it has to carry and it gets very warm and has caused all of the insulation to drop off, starting at the proprietary magnetic connector. I suspect Apple designed it to look sleek and sophisticated, but the laws of physics are immutable and even Apple can't manage to shove a decent amount of current through a cable the diameter of a noodle.
As I said, form over function. They prioritise making it fashionable over making it reliable.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also apples wire-less headphones design freaking sucks. I mean is basically the regular i-phone headphone that simply does not have a cord. Seems like it would be a really easy thing to lose because of how easily it would fall out of your ear. You'd think they would design it with a better design to actually stay in the ear, but nope just a normal cheap looking hard plastic headphone the exact same shape as their corded headphones simply without the cord.

Because yeah a non wired headphone with the part that goes in your ear and a straight down stem with absolutely nothing to go around your ear or anything to hold it in place will work great? I mean when I first read the title of the article I thought it was cool...then I saw the image of the headphone and instantly thought, well that's stupid its designed so people will lose their headphones and have to buy an additional pair.
Yeah. They could have a G shaped design that curls around the ear but that wouldn't look 'fashionable' enough :eew:

cberg wrote:
Their slogan should be "think the same"

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 10:01 pm

cberg wrote:
It's just the one line from IBM & then Lenovo. I'll give some honorable mentions to non-Thinkpad Lenovos, the occasional really nice Dell, Asus, Fujitsu, Toshiba & plenty more but Thinkpads are the real yardstick.

There's no reason for tablets to be so far behind a good laptop in terms of functionality, Apple just shoved the whole industry in that direction & obscured the definition of 'computer' to exclude mobile goodies.

^ Have you seen this ad? If you don't like the functionality of iPads then you won't like Apple's plan to replace laptops and desktops with iPads.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 11:21 pm

Let me tell you flat-out that I worked as a contractor for Apple in the early 2000’s, working frontline support.

I have also built PC’s in the past, while I was working as a contractor-employee for DoD, as well as frontline support for a major library automation vendor.

At my age, (I’ll be 61 in a month as I write this) I really don’t have the inclination anymore to continually rebuild both hardware and operating systems every time something takes a sh!t on my system.

Having said that, I try to avoid systems that are not easily expandable (for me, on the desktop, that would be the Mac mini, the MacBook/MacBook Pro, and the iMac (I’m excluding the iPhone/iPad/iPod, as they are, in my opinion, embedded systems (yes, I know iOS can be upgraded, but essentially they are still limited use devices.) I have owned a Mac mini’s in the past (as well as the PowerPC desktops), and I much prefer the “cheese grater” Mac Pro (I currently have a 2009 cheese grater running High Sierra) primarily they are a lot easier to expand and upgrade than the iMac/MacBook/MacBook Pro. (Best thing Apple ever did was dump NuBus for PCIe and IEEE 1394 for USB. Now if they would only dump Thunderbolt and Lightning...)

The intel-based macs also run Windows a lot better than any Intel/AMD/Cyrix machine I have ever built in the past. I have yet to see the dreaded BSOD pop up running Windows 7 64-bit (I refuse to run Windows 8/8.1/10 except under Virtual Box.). Apple, thankfully, uses, for the most part, Intel parts (CPU, north and south bridge and network chips. You can’t get any more vanilla than that.).

Troubleshooting is also a lot easier on the Mac. An application misbehaves, you shut down the application, look in ~/{username}/Library/Preferences and delete that application’s preferences file. In addition, unlike windows, which has a central registry thick is pretty much binary, MacOS and Linux application configurations files are pretty much ASCII files (macOS uses xml in its cofiguration files, mostly, while With Linux, the actual file may be ASCII, but the actual data used to configure the application may or may not be proprietary.) Also, unlike Windows and Linux, you don’t have to worry about what library dependencies are installed, as the .app file that appears on the desktop
Is a glorified sub directory that contains the executable file, as well as the applications dependencies.

As for the mobile devices, iOS being a closed system, does have its advantages. Unlike Android devices, you don’t see as much shovelware on IOS, unless the end user downloads it either from the App Store, or, if you’re brave enough to jailbreak the device, from the Cydia store. Most Android phones I’ve worked with, ESPECIALLY the el cheapo sets that people throw at me and demand that I fix it for them, FOR FREE, UPON PAIN OF BODILY HARM,are loaded with nothing but shovelware, most of the time.

Don’t even get me started on doing a system restore. While neither environment makes it easy to do so, the iDevices are not as onerous as Android. All of the phone manufacturers that use android have different contortions in order to get to the boot loader and reinstalling the os. Heaven forbid if nothing is backed up on Google drive, if you lose access to your email, Google will not support you on recovery, thereby pissing you off, as well as pissing off your client to the point of being beaten up physically beyond recognition Android, by default, does not turn on backup by default. At least Apple will give you some limited support, provided that you can prove to them you own the unit, and it’s under the warranty and/or you purchased AppleCare.

In short, it comes down to how much handholding one requires. A burned-out elderly geek like myself who just wants something that works without much fuss, would probably be more comfortable with Apple. YMMV.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 1:17 am

The unfortunately tricky solution on Android is to unlock bootloader & use custom recovery software to write a newer custom OS image, with Google apps, drivers and kernel to match if those are separate. Android as an OS is only the version you see distributed by Google through manufacturers, users are free to modify and redistribute the rest of it much like Linux.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 1:49 am

I've been boycotting apple since the early 90s, due to their rampant overpricing of their underwhelming product, to the point where only flush upper middle class people can afford them.