I'm afraid to work b/c of possible 'mean' ppl

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2018, 6:59 pm

Imo when it comes to entry level positions it 'more than likely' that you will come across surly,disrespectful and/or 'mean' ppl at work..I have come to realize how such 'abruptness' is prevalent in 'at work training' and it makes sense to me now that I am 'out of school/'the labor investment process' how the c----piness of pedagogy continues.

A certain 'floor support' staff person at a call center who had a reprimanding tone to me (interestingly, not only to me) and a substance use habit of sorts comes to my mind; the s---kiness of addiction being more prevalent than mindfulness 'gets to me'. I can imagine how much of thing this in service or industrial sectors of the labor market.

‘Simply put’ I am afraid that if I were to apply to say a coffee place, grocery store or restaurant the co-workers and/or managerial staff will be ‘jerks’ who will give me a ‘hard time’ and I’m not too sure how I could cope with that for say a hypothetical ‘~2 years’—aside from developing a deeply private sense of self-trust..and somehow it will contribute to not being afraid of ‘ripple effects’ whether throughout the ‘power structures’ at work or ‘something beyond my control’ like metaphysics.

I realize how much of what I say might be reflective of my particular struggle with assertiveness..all the more anxiety inducing given the 'power structures' within the network of roles and tasks at work, which goodness knows is difficult at times to find ppl empathetic to.

I realize how I might not being nuanced enough in explaining this and I’m going to try to not to be too regretful for what I haven’t mentioned.

Cloudswimmer
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Apr 2018, 11:36 pm

In the jobs you listed the customers can often be mean too. This is entirely unhelpful maybe. Mean people will show up everywhere so it is best to find a job you can really get into to balance the mean out.

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2018, 12:29 am

Honestly I am waiting for 'The Mother Ship' to return and take me back to planet Aspie. (joke)
Sadly, most of our population of 8 billion or so people are so darn fickle and they can change in an instant.
No wonder we on the Spectrum have little desire to become involved with 'Earth people.'

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2018, 4:23 am

It's the truth.
All those mean people is school, with their cliquey groups.
They simply go into the work place - they don't vanish.
The bullying is worse, because it is much more subtle.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2018, 10:16 am

I can relate to this. I think the only way is either taking low ssri medication, work less or not with ppl at all. Many ppl know exactly who is "weak" and they just step on you bc they can. It's just horrible

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2018, 8:07 pm

Going to work is like swimming in a shark tank for 8 hours.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2018, 10:13 am

HistoryGal wrote:
Going to work is like swimming in a shark tank for 8 hours.

OMG so true!

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 10:38 am

when I worked at JC Penney, there was 9 hours of computer training on how to do things on the register (plus, sell people on the credit cards)

It didn't cover everything. So, you'd have to ask co-workers questions. This one guy started going on, hey, maybe you don't have what it takes for the job, and he kept going on, saying a second and third sentence. I didn't say anything at the time. Then I got thinking, it's not his job to run people off after the company does all this training.

I waved him over. I said, James, we need to talk. I'm going to need to talk with Anne. It's not your job to run people off after the company does all this training.

And it worked. He became apologetic. I didn't have any future problems with the guy. Now, it helped that I was then 46-years-old.

I didn't talk to Anne. Didn't feel it was necessary. May or may not have gotten the odds even more in my favor.

--------------------------

Notice that I did not ambush the guy. I talked to him very straight, I'm going to need to talk with Anne. I gave him a heads on. And I was brief throughout.

sidetrack
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 5:44 pm

alpacka wrote:
I can relate to this. I think the only way is either taking low ssri medication, work less or not with ppl at all. Many ppl know exactly who is "weak" and they just step on you bc they can. It's just horrible

Makes me appreciate how I just went and finished being at a 'flotation tank'.

I enjoyed it. Not in the way I thought I would but in another way. I enjoyed it.

DragonflyQueen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2018, 5:52 pm

I just got diagnosed at age 47 because I have a 'normal' job ... I've been trying to get to the place of keeping a 'normal job' for 30 years! I'm around people all day now, and even leading meetings for millions of dollars worth of software... when I wish I was home coding in the middle of the night... I had a major brain meltdown a few weeks ago and ended up suicidal, the sound of the freeway commuting to work was like sitting next to an airplane engine... migraines every other day... I've been away from work for a week and am finally starting to feel ... I was about to say normal... but I am starting to be able to think my own thoughts if that makes sense because I don't have people yapping around me all day in a fluorescent light office with canned air. I think I just need to have a job working alone. I've always felt like an alien... I used to tell my mom "I want to go home" when I was 4 or 5... and she'd say "You are home, honey"... Sorry for the long post, this is my first one... What a long strange trip this has been. And what a difficult childhood... sheesh. :skull: Thanks for being here.

:skull: :skull: :skull: