Got my first interview in a year....

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2018, 12:15 am

and I think I blew it...because I didn't even know I was going for an interview. I went for a written test and a physical fitness test, only to be told afterwards that they would do an interview. I had to sit in my sweaty running clothes in front of four people and have a series of "gotcha!" questions thrown at me.

Ugh...I just hope it's not another year before I get another interview (for the record, I am employed, but neither one of my current jobs offers me raises, paid time off, or even any advancement potential).

ChefDave
Raven
Raven

17 May 2018, 11:51 am

Did you make a follow up call to see if they had made a decision regarding the job? Some employers will hold off making a decision just to see if the applicant will contact them. The thought behind this is that the employer wants to know who really wants the job. This happened with me at a restaurant in Pennsylvania. I had to call to see if I had gotten the job and I later found out that it was corporate policy to hold off on contacting successful applicants.

In terms of the running clothes, I wouldn't worry about it. On the one hand you weren't professionally attired but on the other hand, they did ask you to interview.

I once knew a teacher who went to a job interview carrying his infant son. He had mowed his lawn before the interview and didn't have time to change or shower. He was wearing a ragged t-shirt and shorts and was covered with sweat and grass clippings.

Even though he wasn't professionally attired, he got the job. The interviewing administrator liked the fact that this job applicant was a family man. Go figure.

DocteurDEVO7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 May 2018, 3:41 pm

Easier said than done but try not to beat yourself up too much about it. You went and did the interview despite the adversity and I think that's great of you. Another positive is you got some more interview experience so you're more prepared for the next one. Anyways I genuinely hope you get more interviews soon, good luck :D

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2018, 11:58 pm

ChefDave wrote:
Did you make a follow up call to see if they had made a decision regarding the job? Some employers will hold off making a decision just to see if the applicant will contact them. The thought behind this is that the employer wants to know who really wants the job. This happened with me at a restaurant in Pennsylvania. I had to call to see if I had gotten the job and I later found out that it was corporate policy to hold off on contacting successful applicants.

It's an interesting thought, but this was a government job, and they specifically said they would let me know either. Yeah well..they didn't.