Weird sensation-- there's too much sky?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2018, 10:29 pm

This feels like a really weird thing to ask, but I live in a place where I'm constantly surrounded by tall trees. In the rare event that I go somewhere without really tall trees, I always find myself in a constant state of disorientation because (and I'm not even joking here) I can see too much sky. Like, it comes too close to the ground when I'm used to the horizon being at most a quarter mile away, with tons of trees to block the view. So my question is, is this normal? Does this happen to anyone else?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2018, 10:54 pm

I've had the same thing for years. I only just mentioned a few days on another post that if I traveled to a place where there's nothing but wide open country and next to no trees or bushes or anything I would find it creepy. I get this weird feeling in my throat and stomach and my mouth goes dry and I have trouble swallowing. I also get the same feeling if I gaze up into the stars outside at night. Maybe I'm realizing more than usual just how tiny and pathetic we really are and we don't matter. Or maybe I just feel like I'm going to fall off the planet even though I know that's not possible. :oops:

It used to be a lot worse when I was in my late teens and early twenties, though. Sometimes I think it was a side effect from one of the many drugs the shrinks put me on which only increased my anxiety instead of lowering it.

Anthracite_Impreza
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Apr 2018, 8:00 pm

Flat land freaks me out because I'm used to hills and valleys, so I guess that's similar? It's a genuine, guttural squirming anytime I go to Hull or down south because it's too flat >.<

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2018, 4:45 am

When the British anthropologist Colin M. Turnbull traveled with his Pygmy friend from the Congo rainforest to a Savannah part of Africa they stopped to camp on a Cliffside and could see herds of game in the distance. The Pygmy commented about "those buffaloes look like insects". The British anthropologist had to explain to him that "those buffaloes are bigger than the forest buffaloes that you guys hunt". That's how foreign the scenery looked to his pygmy friend who had lived all his life in the lowland rainforest.

I don't quite get "disoriented", but it can be quite an experience for an eastern seaboard USA person to drive through "the big sky country" of the American west. It can be bright and sunny, and yet you can see entire thunderstorms moving across the landscape in the distance. Sometimes more than one thunderhead at once in different directions (looking just like they look in textbooks):tall cloud formations over a spot of shaded landscape just under the flat bottom of the cloud formation with rain and even tiny thunderflashes hitting the ground beneath them. Yet its dry hot and sunny where you are standing.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2018, 4:10 pm

I used to live in the country so when I moved into town, going outside would freak me out. Too much concrete, not enough grass and trees. For some reason the outside in town seems more wider and open feeling and it makes me anxiouse.